Random Carnival Related Questions from a Newbie :)

godspoetry

I've been stalking these boards for over a month now and everyone's been a ton of help. I ended up booking my cruise directly without a travel agent and there's no way I could have done that without people's helpful advice! I've developed a couple specific questions that I don't know if anyone has the answers to, but would love the help if I could get it. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if there is decent snorkel equipment and places you can walk to for snorkeling on Half Moon Cay? I'm not a particularly experienced or picky snorkeler, I just want to do it at some point during our cruise and I figured it might be easier/cheaper on Half Moon Cay.

Is the lunch on Half Moon Cay included in the cruise cost? Is it better or worse than the ship?

I thought a 1:15 flight out of Orlando was way more than enough time if we got back to port at 8am, but I found out that Carnival won't even let you use their transfer service from Port Canaveral if your flight is before 12:50 so now I'm worried that I'm cutting it a little too close. How long does it take to exit the ship?? :confused: We got Faster to the Fun, but I don't know if that helps us in terms of catching an earlier Airport Transfer or it just means we get off the ship fast and stand around a long time? Or if trying to get off the ship ASAP is even necessary?

My boyfriend is not a US citizen and coming on the cruise. Exactly how much ID should he bring in terms of getting on and off the ships at ports? I called Carnival after I got an ESTA email and it sounded like they had no idea what I was talking about and told me to contact the US government. I'm especially worried we're gonna get held up when we're disembarking because of the tight turn around for his flight, as he's flying that 1:15 domestic flight to JFK to catch his flight back to Europe on the same day.

I totally had another question but I forgot it. :eek:

Edited by godspoetry

I've been stalking these boards for over a month now and everyone's been a ton of help. I ended up booking my cruise directly without a travel agent and there's no way I could have done that without people's helpful advice! I've developed a couple specific questions that I don't know if anyone has the answers to, but would love the help if I could get it. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know if there is decent snorkel equipment and places you can walk to for snorkeling on Half Moon Cay? I'm not a particularly experienced or picky snorkeler, I just want to do it at some point during our cruise and I figured it might be easier/cheaper on Half Moon Cay.

Is the lunch on Half Moon Cay included in the cruise cost? Is it better or worse than the ship?

I thought a 1:15 flight out of Orlando was way more than enough time if we got back to port at 8am, but I found out that Carnival won't even let you use their transfer service from Port Canaveral if your flight is before 12:50 so now I'm worried that I'm cutting it a little too close. How long does it take to exit the ship?? :confused: We got Faster to the Fun, but I don't know if that helps us in terms of catching an earlier Airport Transfer or it just means we get off the ship fast and stand around a long time? Or if trying to get off the ship ASAP is even necessary?

My boyfriend is not a US citizen and coming on the cruise. Exactly how much ID should he bring in terms of getting on and off the ships at ports? I called Carnival after I got an ESTA email and it sounded like they had no idea what I was talking about and told me to contact the US government. I'm especially worried we're gonna get held up when we're disembarking because of the tight turn around for his flight, as he's flying that 1:15 domestic flight to JFK to catch his flight back to Europe on the same day.

I totally had another question but I forgot it. :eek:

Hi there! We have been to Half Moon 3 times and absolutely love it's beauty! We actually took our own snorkel stuff (masks, and snorkel) and hung out on the beach. The last time we went (almost a year ago this month) we rented a cabana. They provide you with a few floating mats, your snorkel equipments and snacks. We took som Cheerios off the ship (someone on this message board suggested it) and fed the fish right off the beach. They were small, but it was still fun. We also saw a stingray swimming in the sand right below us. So close you could have touched it but we just left it be. Too cool!! As far as the lunch on the island, it is at no extra cost to you and it's delicious. Fresh fruit, dogs, burgers, cold salads, chicken etc. it's a really nice layout.

We have sailed with Carnival quite often and never purchased FTTF. Some say it's worth it, some say not. I guess it's a matter of preference. We never expire fed any issues getting off the ships. We don't do self assist nor FTTF and managed to get off anywhere between 8-10. No later and that's again without FTTF or self assist.

As far as what we take with us in port, just our passports and you will need your sail and sign card. That's it. Hope you enjoy your trip and if I can think of anything else, I'll post it.

Happy Crusing.

Does anyone know if there is decent snorkel equipment and places you can walk to for snorkeling on Half Moon Cay? I'm not a particularly experienced or picky snorkeler, I just want to do it at some point during our cruise and I figured it might be easier/cheaper on Half Moon Cay. You can rent your snorkel equipment on the ship or on Half Moon Cay. The island is run by Carnival, so it is all the same.

Is the lunch on Half Moon Cay included in the cruise cost? Is it better or worse than the ship? You are served a barbeque style lunch on Half Moon Cay -- prepared by Carnival. I actually like it. However, even though it is clearly stated, if you purchase the Cheers package and/or the Bottomless Bubbles package, you WILL have to pay for drinks on Half Moon Cay.

I thought a 1:15 flight out of Orlando was way more than enough time if we got back to port at 8am, but I found out that Carnival won't even let you use their transfer service from Port Canaveral if your flight is before 12:50 so now I'm worried that I'm cutting it a little too close. How long does it take to exit the ship?? We got Faster to the Fun, but I don't know if that helps us in terms of catching an earlier Airport Transfer or it just means we get off the ship fast and stand around a long time? Or if trying to get off the ship ASAP is even necessary? You will have to wait until the Carnival shuttle is full before they will even think about leaving for the airport. You are off the ship quickly, but will have to wait. Might want to consider moving that flight if you can. If you can't, look into another means to get yourself to the airport.

My boyfriend is not a US citizen and coming on the cruise. Exactly how much ID should he bring in terms of getting on and off the ships at ports? I called Carnival after I got an ESTA email and it sounded like they had no idea what I was talking about and told me to contact the US government. I'm especially worried we're gonna get held up when we're disembarking because of the tight turn around for his flight, as he's flying that 1:15 domestic flight to JFK to catch his flight back to Europe on the same day. Went with a friend that was born in Colombia. In port, all he needed was his photo id (used his drivers' license) and the room key. Both are needed to get through port customs and back on the ship. As for getting back on US soil, he used his resident alien card. Brought his drivers license for photo identification. Also brought his passport as a back-up. If your boyfriend is a resident, he should be fine. Just make sure that whatever info you provide when you do the on-line check-in (passport, resident card, etc.) are the same that you bring with you on the cruise and present to Customs when you debark.

I am an Australian resident, New Zealand citizen and cruise out of the USA frequently. If your boyfriend is coming from, and returning to a country that is part of the ESTA visa programme a printed copy of the ESTA visa and his passport is all that is required. According to the government website when you apply for the visa (and just use the official site, not a secondary one who will do it for you at a grossly inflated fee!) you do not need a printout of the visa, immigration obviously has this information when you enter the USA. Unfortunately the people manning checkin don't realise that the stamp in your passport, with the exit date of when you must leave the country by (90 days), means that you are already cleared to exit & enter again. The first time this system was in effect I didn't have the printout and had to get a supervisor involved, which was fine, just a waste of time. I've carried the printout ever since, and not needed it again.

I would feel comfortable with the time of your first flight IF I wasn't following it up with an international flight straight after. Don't forget the extended checkin time for a domestic flight if you are connecting to international. If your boyfriend is checking in for his international flight from the port city, I'd forgo the transfer bus and get a taxi. Check approx taxi fares anyway, every time I've priced it two people in a taxi is generally in the ball park of the transfer bus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry, knew I'd missed something....for ID in ports And forgetting back on the ship I use my passport. Without starting "that" discussion again, I carry my passport with me all the time when travelling. I have travelled though with other "aliens" who have easily used their foreign drivers license to return to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:eek:

half moon cay is nice, ALL beach and hot!

The food is from the ship and just fine

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

I would not risk a flight that early.

If you do not get off the Ship until 10:00am, that may not be enough time to make your flight. Too many things can go wrong.... Plan for at least an hour to travel to the airport.

I just don't risk that stuff.......

I am Platinum and have tried to leave early, and it rarely works out since so many people are walking off with their luggage, and sometimes being Platinum with 'first off luggage tags' doesn't help, because you can't even get to the exit area of the ship...

Thanks everyone!

I remembered what my other question was! I read some places that juice was only available on the bottomless bubbles program, and then I read somewhere that you can actually get some types of juices for breakfast for free in certain places on the ship or on room service. I'm not a big juice drinker but if I get sick I drink OJ like there is no tomorrow so I was just wondering where/how I would get it.

You can rent your snorkel equipment on the ship or on Half Moon Cay. The island is run by Carnival, so it is all the same.

Do you know how much the equipment rental is?

I am an Australian resident, New Zealand citizen and cruise out of the USA frequently. If your boyfriend is coming from, and returning to a country that is part of the ESTA visa programme a printed copy of the ESTA visa and his passport is all that is required. According to the government website when you apply for the visa (and just use the official site, not a secondary one who will do it for you at a grossly inflated fee!) you do not need a printout of the visa, immigration obviously has this information when you enter the USA. Unfortunately the people manning checkin don't realise that the stamp in your passport, with the exit date of when you must leave the country by (90 days), means that you are already cleared to exit & enter again. The first time this system was in effect I didn't have the printout and had to get a supervisor involved, which was fine, just a waste of time. I've carried the printout ever since, and not needed it again.

I would feel comfortable with the time of your first flight IF I wasn't following it up with an international flight straight after. Don't forget the extended checkin time for a domestic flight if you are connecting to international. If your boyfriend is checking in for his international flight from the port city, I'd forgo the transfer bus and get a taxi. Check approx taxi fares anyway, every time I've priced it two people in a taxi is generally in the ball park of the transfer bus

He is coming from an ESTA country (The Netherlands), staying with me for a few weeks, then we're going on the cruise at the very end of the trip. The problem with his ESTA paperwork is that it's all in Dutch. Have any of your non-citizen friends ever been from a country where their printouts would be in another language? That's one of my main concerns about the hold up. Idk if the cruise port people would understand dutch. (Probably should have mentioned some of this stuff in my first post! Oops...)

He booked his flight from the US to the Netherlands as a round trip to and from Amsterdam and JFK, and then later I bought the cruise flight tickets for both of us so they're completely separate flights. With this current flight he's getting to JFK at 4pm and his flight is at 10:30pm so he'll have plenty of time to get his baggage and check in again. There was a flight after the one he's taking that would get him to JFK at 7 but I thought that would be cutting it kinda close for the more important one. Do you think it's still not enough time if that first flight is a domestic one? Do you have to go through customs on US to US flights if you're foreign?

I dunno, originally I thought this plan was genius because it means we'd easily already be at a not close airport to my house but now it just seems too stressful. :confused:

Edited by godspoetry

I would not risk a flight that early.

If you do not get off the Ship until 10:00am, that may not be enough time to make your flight. Too many things can go wrong.... Plan for at least an hour to travel to the airport.

I just don't risk that stuff.......

I am Platinum and have tried to leave early, and it rarely works out since so many people are walking off with their luggage, and sometimes being Platinum with 'first off luggage tags' doesn't help, because you can't even get to the exit area of the ship...

If we walked off with our luggage would that be the best bet for speed?

I thought a 1:15 flight out of Orlando was way more than enough time if we got back to port at 8am,

That flight is just fine. Sounds like a perfect set of flights to me. Just go to the CC Ports forum and check out the wide variety of shuttle services from Port Canaveral to Orlando airport. Cocoa Beach Shuttle is one that is widely recommended but there are others also.

If you have FTTF, you are assured of early debarkation, take your own luggage and you will be off the ship and be ready for your shuttle in no time. Just be careful you don't book a large vehicle group shuttle that waits to load dozens of passengers before leaving. Honestly, Carnival transfers would be my absolute LAST choice for getting back to the airport.

We are doing an Orlando - Port Canaveral connection for our next cruise, I have booked an 1:30 PM flight and know we will end of sitting around having lunch at the airport for several hours - just as you will find you will do.

There is general mass paranoia on these forums about when to schedule airfare. :eek: No need to stress over your plans. I regularly commute from Clearwater Beach back to Orlando to catch afternoon flights home from Florida and that is more than twice the distance from Port Canaveral to Orlando airport. Never have missed a flight in all these years.

Edited by lizardhowson

The self debark is the fastest.

As long as you can carry all your luggage and stuff.

Get up really early and grab some breakfast in the buffet.

In advance figure out which floor is where you need to be.

People will start clogging up the elevators.

Depending on where you are, you may need to bump up or down the stairs.

We have been in the car and on the road by eight o' clock or eight thirty.

About orange juice, it is available in a fountain dispenser at breakfast on the buffet.

Get what you need then and keep it on ice if you will want it later.

I would probably empty some water bottles and decant the juice into them.

You can get ice from your room steward or room service.

You can get a beer bucket or bring a collapsible cooler.

Edited by mzloolue

There is general mass paranoia on these forums about when to schedule airfare. :eek: No need to stress over your plans.

You can say that again. Same with the not carrying a passport issue.

Last time we did a Med cruise the flight from Barcelona was cancelled. Most of us in our party got rerouted through Munich, which ended up being overbooked. So they spent the night in Munich.

I got to stay in Barcelona until the next day.

We all made it back to Chicago within 1 hour of each other the following day.

The only issue was for me....The luggage didn't make it on the plane to Munich and I got stuck with lugging luggage for 7 people through Barcelona and a transfer in Newark.

We all survived just fine.

That flight is just fine. Sounds like a perfect set of flights to me. Just go to the CC Ports forum and check out the wide variety of shuttle services from Port Canaveral to Orlando airport. Cocoa Beach Shuttle is one that is widely recommended but there are others also.

If you have FTTF, you are assured of early debarkation, take your own luggage and you will be off the ship and be ready for your shuttle in no time. Just be careful you don't book a large vehicle group shuttle that waits to load dozens of passengers before leaving. Honestly, Carnival transfers would be my absolute LAST choice for getting back to the airport.

We are doing an Orlando - Port Canaveral connection for our next cruise, I have booked an 1:30 PM flight and know we will end of sitting around having lunch at the airport for several hours - just as you will find you will do.

There is general mass paranoia on these forums about when to schedule airfare. :eek: No need to stress over your plans. I regularly commute from Clearwater Beach back to Orlando to catch afternoon flights home from Florida and that is more than twice the distance from Port Canaveral to Orlando airport. Never have missed a flight in all these years.

Thanks for helping me calm down! I am sure reading these forums and cruising a lot means you're exposed to a lot of bad experiences, but hopefully they're rare. I mean technically I booked my cruise during hurricane season too. :D

I already booked the Carnival Transfer for getting back to the airport. We're doing the rental car airport to port Canavaral thing the day before we leave but I thought the carnival transfer would be faster than trying to figure something else out. :(

Does anyone know if it's possible to cancel Carnival Transfer services and get a refund or onboard credit or something?

Does anyone have a personal recommendation for shuttles that you like ?

Edited by godspoetry

We have sailed from Pt Canaveral many times and have never done self assist. We are Platinum so we would be getting off the ship about the same time as FTTF. We are usually off the ship soon after 8AM.

I don't know that I would use Carnival transfers because of having to fill a whole bus, but family has used Travelynx and they have small van/shuttles. They were waiting right when we got off the ship and were in effect also cheaper than Carnival.

Our family members have gotten to the airport by 9:30 so I think a 1:15 flight is more than enough time unless for some reason there is a huge delay. If Carnival says the luggage express is for flights 12:50 on, you can be sure they are allowing plenty of time. I, personally, wouldn't worry about that as you should have plenty of time.

You should be able to cancel your arrangements with Carnival. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

If we walked off with our luggage would that be the best bet for speed?

I always do self assist when I need to be off the ship quickly, if you're up and ready as soon as they clear the ship you should be among the first groups off the ship.

You'll love HMC, far and away the nicest private island I have yet been to. Enjoy your cruise!