1st cruise

georgia1980

Hello, I am new here. Nice to meet you all. I have decided to book our 1st cruise. It will be May 30, 2016. My daughter and I will port out of Jacksonville, Fl. Excited about it, but lots of questions. Info on that port says can begin parking at 10:30 am. I plan to be there then. How long would it take to get on ship? I know cannot get on it til noon, at the earliest, but how long, after process starts? Also looking into excursions, etc... any pointers would be greatly appreciated.:)

No need to get there at 10:30 if you can't board till noon.... I would arrive about 11:30, park the car, head to the ship, hand off bags to porters, go thru security, get in line to check-in, and board!

That's the process! More like checking into a hotel than boarding a plane.....very easy! Shouldn't take more than 40 mins, from parking to being on the ship..maybe less.

Hello, I am new here. Nice to meet you all. I have decided to book our 1st cruise. It will be May 30, 2016. My daughter and I will port out of Jacksonville, Fl. Excited about it, but lots of questions. Info on that port says can begin parking at 10:30 am. I plan to be there then. How long would it take to get on ship? I know cannot get on it til noon, at the earliest, but how long, after process starts? Also looking into excursions, etc... any pointers would be greatly appreciated.:)

Hello and welcome aboard.

In my experience, if I get to the port early its an easy board.

If I get there much later its also very easy since most folks have boarded and the lines went down.

Dont worry, its gonna be great. Have your documents printed out before you get there. Saves time

When we sailed out of Jacksonville, we arrived at the port at 10:30am and was on the ship by 11:30am. They usually start boarding earlier than 12. So if you want get there at 10:30am, boarding will start shortly after and then you can start your cruise early.:D

In Jax, sometimes they don't even open the parking lot until 10:30 or 11am. We have sailed out of Jax several times and it usually takes about 1/2 hr from the time we park until we board the ship.

Going on Carnival Elation. 5 days to Half Moon Cay and Nassau. Cabin U138

Wow, good choice with HMC for a first cruise! The beach there is beautiful and the water is amazing. You don't need an excursion, just hit the beach and find a lounge chair with some shade. If you feel like splurging, get a private cabana. Carnival provides a free lunch with non-alcoholic beverages.

There are a lot of options in Nassau. Take a look at the Bahamas board here on Cruise Critic for some ideas. It is in the Port-of-Calls section.

Welcome to cruising! :)

I'm afraid the parking lot may get full, the reason I want to be there early.

There is PLENTY of parking. Esp after the previous cruise paxs have gone.

What do you think the people on the previous cruise did?

I think we may just shop in Nassau the first time, since will spend the day at the beach, in Half Moon Cay, the day before. Next time may do excursion. Just play by ear. really would like to do Blue Lagoon, but just the beach, but not sure the best way to get there. Bus, taxi, water boat thing.......

Your plan sounds good to me! Get there between 10:30 and 11 and you'll be on the ship eating lunch by noon. The straw market in Nassau is interesting if you haven't been to one before. But be ready for some pushy vendors. Have a GREAT cruise!!!! :)

In Nassau, we did Atlantis on our own via the water taxi. Walked around the grounds for free and bought a ticket there for the aquarium. This was several years ago, so I'm not sure if that is still allowed. Atlantis was beautiful, if a little contrived, and expensive.

That was almost the exact same thing that I did for my first cruise, but it was on the Fascination rather than the Elation! I'd say to get to the port around 10:20 so that way you will be early to board. JAXPORT is a very organized port but lines can get long if you go at peak hours (12-1), so I'd say get there early and enjoy exploring the ship when almost everybody else is waiting in line! And also, go to the buffet right when you walk on because it will soon get full and it will take a bit of waiting to get food. Finally, pack your swimsuit in your carry-on or wear it under your clothes so that you can jump right in and enjoy an almost empty pool (a rare scene)

Georgia,

I went on my first cruise back in 2007. I was frantic (what to pack, the process of getting on, what to expect...) I found cruisecritic and read hundreds of messages on the boards before our cruise. I still packed too much, and I was anxious, but once on board (after our bags were delivered)...I was at peace. We went to 5 islands and at 3 of them, I ventured off on my own with ship sponsored excursions while my boys were scuba diving. It was so much fun that I have been craving another cruise since. I am still reading up on the cruise line/ship/excursions to keep me informed. I found it helpful to read reviews of the ship. I knew where the dining room/bars/pizza place was before I stepped on ship. Once on board, it's fun to tour the ship while waiting for the ship to pull out of port. We booked excursions through the ship (I was too nervous about taking my chances on my own). I just booked another cruise with my family as well as my BFF and her sister who have never cruised.

Have fun!!!!:)