Cuba Cruise from Montego Bay to 5 stops in Cuba

Skeeterman

If you are considering it, be sure you qualify under the specific exceptions that permit Americans to travel to Cuba. I see you list Minnesota as home and 'assume' you are on a U.S, passport.

Anyone been in this trip? I found it by googling Jamaica to Cuba cruise. It's a Canadian cruise line on a new ship of Celestyal cruise line.

US citizens taking this cruise must still meet the "cultural exchange" requirements for travel to Cuba, so your "free" time will be limited by the requirement of 8 hours of cultural exchange instruction every day in Cuba.

Best to not start new threads on the same subject.

Keith

Really?

How many threads do we see over attire? How about tipping? Maybe we can start another thread about how to get from an airport to the ship...anyone heard of Google? Maybe we can have another thread about customer service or changes in price. Would you enjoy those more?

SMH...

Really?

How many threads do we see over attire? How about tipping? Maybe we can start another thread about how to get from an airport to the ship...anyone heard of Google? Maybe we can have another thread about customer service or changes in price. Would you enjoy those more?

SMH...

I believe what Keith is referring to is the fact that it is the same OP opening a duplicate thread, asking the same question, a couple of days after opening the first thread, not multiple OP's starting identical threads. Its kind of like the OP didn't like the answers he/she was getting on the first thread, and was looking for more agreeable answers.

US citizens taking this cruise must still meet the "cultural exchange" requirements for travel to Cuba, so your "free" time will be limited by the requirement of 8 hours of cultural exchange instruction every day in Cuba.

I think some US citizens have taken the cruise without the Cultural element that is why they board the ship in Jamaica ;)

Really?

SMH...

Sorry but it was the same person starting the same thread by asking the same question.

That's the difference.

Thank you.

Keith

I think some US citizens have taken the cruise without the Cultural element that is why they board the ship in Jamaica ;)

Sooooooo, even though it is not permitted for US citizens to go to Cuba, except for the limited legal parameters, people are skirting the issue by leaving from Jamaica, or a couple of other places?

It's cruise smuggling, I tell ya'. :D

Just remember to cross your fingers and pray nothing happens to you (sick or hurt) that requires medical attention and/or evacuation. Gonna be hard to explain to the authorities in the US how you got injured there when you weren't supposed to be going there.

Hmm...wonder if your insurance would pay if the claim occurred during that illegal activity? Certainly would be "out of network" :D

Might have to ask my judge friend about that.

Sooooooo, even though it is not permitted for US citizens to go to Cuba, except for the limited legal parameters, people are skirting the issue by leaving from Jamaica, or a couple of other places?

It's cruise smuggling, I tell ya'. :D

I do not know the rules but when we went to Cuba many years ago there were boats from the USA docking at the marina near our hotel

Someone said as long as they do not spend money in Cuba they could go there

True or not ... the boaters were in the marina ;)

I have heard some people will fly to Mexico or Canada then go to Cuba from there so I guess where there is a will to go there is a way to get there :D

Just remember to cross your fingers and pray nothing happens to you (sick or hurt) that requires medical attention and/or evacuation. Gonna be hard to explain to the authorities in the US how you got injured there when you weren't supposed to be going there.

Hmm...wonder if your insurance would pay if the claim occurred during that illegal activity? Certainly would be "out of network" :D

For Cdns, we have to provide proof of medical insurance when entering Cuba. I don't know how relevant this is, but here's a quote from GoCuba.ca that US residents might like to know....

"Residents in the United States traveling to Cuba on direct flights from United States will have to acquire their insurance policy at their country from Cuban insurance companies available through out agencies associated with Havanatur-Celimar Company. US insurance companies do not provide coverage in the Cuban national territory.

Travelers that upon the arrival are subject to control, shall present a policy, insurance certificate or travelling assistance card valid for the time span they will stay in Cuba."

I can only assume this would be the same for cruises. :confused:

Here's an article from the Sun Sentinel back in Feb, when Cuba Cruise started allowing US citizens to cruise. It does not explain what the cultural requirements are, but they must register with a non-profit partner of the cruise line before they cruise, so the non-profit must be a partner in the license, and their program must meet the government requirements.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/tourism/fl-us-travel-agents-cuba-cruise-20150223-story.html

For Cdns, we have to provide proof of medical insurance when entering Cuba. I don't know how relevant this is, but here's a quote from GoCuba.ca that US residents might like to know....

"Residents in the United States traveling to Cuba on direct flights from United States will have to acquire their insurance policy at their country from Cuban insurance companies available through out agencies associated with Havanatur-Celimar Company. US insurance companies do not provide coverage in the Cuban national territory.

Travelers that upon the arrival are subject to control, shall present a policy, insurance certificate or travelling assistance card valid for the time span they will stay in Cuba."

I can only assume this would be the same for cruises. :confused:

This is similar to what I found on another site that stated that visitors to Cuba must have "non-US" health coverage.

We are booked for this cruise on a 1/1/16 departure. We have already signed with the non- profit company. This is all legal for US citizens, starting in December.

As for health issues, passengers must pay for Cuba medical insurance ( I think that is what we did, just know we did as required ). Cuba has an excelent reputation on medical care.

We have not received any info on excursions, but do know that we have little choice or free time, but totaly understandable.