Buying a nice bottle of wine in Copenhagen?

eandj

We like to purchase a couple bottles of white wine before boarding our ship. We'll be staying in the Nyhavn area. Is there a spot where we can get some decent wine? Local would be nice, but maybe a nice German Reisling would be available. Not sure where or what kind of bottle selection is available around this area of town.

Edited by eandj

We like to purchase a couple bottles of white wine before boarding our ship. We'll be staying in the Nyhavn area. Is there a spot where we can get some decent wine? Local would be nice, but maybe a nice German Reisling would be available. Not sure where or what kind of bottle selection is available around this area of town.

Please be more specific than 'Nyhavn area, and I can provide you with a list of nearby supermarkets. Forget about local wine, but surely you can get some decent wine in a supermarket.

THANKS. We will be staying at Hotel Bethel S. Arriving mid day and heading for the port 24 hours later. So we'd like a spot nearby the hotel.

We'll be staying in the area nearer the train station post cruise. So don't want to head over that way.

What price range should we expect and do supermarkets take our U.S. signature credit cards?

Edited by eandj

Kjær & Sommerfeldt mentioned in the post above is a good option

Here is a short list - please notice opening hours.

Distance from your hotel in meters.

Kjær & Sommerfeldt A/S, Gammel Mønt, 800 m; 10 min

Mon-Thu: 10:00-18:00

Friday: 10:00-20:00

Saturday: 11:00-19:00

Otto Suenson, Dronningens Tværgade 7, 700 m; 8 minutes

Mon - Thu: 09:30 - 17:30

Friday: 09:30 - 18:00

Saturday: 10:00 - 13:00

SuperBrugsen, Borgergade 28 1 km; 12 min

mon - Fri 08:00 . 21:00

Sat - Sun 09:00 - 20:00

What price range should we expect and do supermarkets take our U.S. signature credit cards?

Thank you for the store details. Will help others here too;)

Can you help with the question above regarding credit cards at wine or supermarkets?

Signature credit cards are typically only a problem at kiosk payment systems. Most other credit card machines still have both the chip and 'swipe' mechanism.

I never use cash when I am in Copenhagen. The only problem I have had is where I have made multiple purchases at one shop or bar and then the security feature kicks in preventing the second purchase. Using a secondary card prevents this.

You could email Kjær & Sommerfeldt at kobenhavn@kogs.dk and they could confirm that they accept payment with 'American' signature card.

We are in Copenhagen now and found a fine selection of wine in the lower level food hall at Magasin du Nord, Kongens Nytorv. This very large department store is located moments from Nyhavn. Cash or credit cards with a chip and pin or chip and signature are accepted there. We will definitely be buying wine to take on board NCL Star.

We are in Copenhagen now and found a fine selection of wine in the lower level food hall at Magasin du Nord, Kongens Nytorv. This very large department store is located moments from Nyhavn. Cash or credit cards with a chip and pin or chip and signature are accepted there. We will definitely be buying wine to take on board NCL Star.

Ooh I knew there was food there, wasn't sure about a wine selection. Thanks. I know in Barcelona we found some good Spanish Rose's in the dept store to take along.

Thanks for that heads up. How's your weather?

Signature credit cards are typically only a problem at kiosk payment systems. Most other credit card machines still have both the chip and 'swipe' mechanism.

I never use cash when I am in Copenhagen. The only problem I have had is where I have made multiple purchases at one shop or bar and then the security feature kicks in preventing the second purchase. Using a secondary card prevents this.

You could email Kjær & Sommerfeldt at kobenhavn@kogs.dk and they could confirm that they accept payment with 'American' signature card.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, very good option too.

I've heard alcohol prices are really high in Copenhagen. Is this the same for wine?

I had thought about buying a few bottles (if they sell them) at the duty free store in the airport. i'm not sure if there would be a decent selection or not?

Otherwise, we'll have the alcohol package onboard which includes wine, but having a bottle in the room for drinking on the balcony is something I enjoy.

I've heard alcohol prices are really high in Copenhagen. Is this the same for wine?

I had thought about buying a few bottles (if they sell them) at the duty free store in the airport. i'm not sure if there would be a decent selection or not?

Otherwise, we'll have the alcohol package onboard which includes wine, but having a bottle in the room for drinking on the balcony is something I enjoy.

I scanned the wine store Web site mentioned above and there are a variety of bottles I'm familiar with, even U.S bottles. Some decent ones can be had for around $20-25. Yes more than what I pay for the same bottle at home. But less than what we pay onboard. Plus I like having more to choose from.

I have never found a lot of wine choices at airports. More booze for sure.

The Magasin du Nord had some very decent specials on display for the equivalent of $10 US, and the selection in the $20 to $25 range is extensive.

Weather here is great for touring. Temps in upper 60's with intermittent sun. I wore a skirt, t-top, light jean jacket and my favorite Birkenstock Gizeh sandals yesterday and was perfectly comfortable. My husband wore chinos and a long sleeve shirt. He only added his light pullover sweater for our long walk back after dinner in Nyhavn.

Today's forecast calls for more of the same. It is sunny and 59 as I write this at 6:30 AM.

The Magasin du Nord had some very decent specials on display for the equivalent of $10 US, and the selection in the $20 to $25 range is extensive.

Weather here is great for touring. Temps in upper 60's with intermittent sun. I wore a skirt, t-top, light jean jacket and my favorite Birkenstock Gizeh sandals yesterday and was perfectly comfortable. My husband wore chinos and a long sleeve shirt. He only added his light pullover sweater for our long walk back after dinner in Nyhavn.

Today's forecast calls for more of the same. It is sunny and 59 as I write this at 6:30 AM.

Thanks for the up to date weather forecast. As long as we see and feel the sun we are happy in any temps. Sounds great. We are planning on cabbing it to the port from Nyhavn area. Easier than doing the bus routine with bags for us. What have you planned? Have a great cruise!!

Edited by eandj

There are over 50 wineries in Denmark, so ask for a Danish wine weather in Magasin or one of the wine stores.

Not all grapes grow well in Denmark, but many thrive with the many hours of daylight.

Try something new and local. We always do and luck out most of the time.