Back from Enchantment (11 September)

We are just back from the 11-18 September sailing of the Enchantment...and had a great cruise!

We missed Martha's Vineyard due to rough, windy conditions, and had quite a bit of fog (Bar Harbor, Saint John, and our last sea day as we detoured around Ophelia), but we were not in search of hot and sunny weather!

Here are some random highlights:

The Ship -- very nice! loved the pool area and the suspension bridges. Lots of glass with nice ocean views from many public spaces, much more open and bright than other ships we have sailed. Great for whale watching! (and we saw lots, especially on the last sea day -- see my posting in the new england board if interested)

The rock wall and trampolines were great, and we used them almost daily (the trampolines and rock wall were usually open in the morning and early evening when the ship was in port, and the rock wall was open on sea days as well).

Our cabin (8666, an aft Royal Family Suite) -- stunning, with an enormous balcony, much bigger than we expected. The cabin itself was very nice with 2 separate bedrooms and bathrooms, as well as a living room. As with the rest of the ship, it was very bright, with 30ft of floor-to-ceiling windows across the back wall. We would book this cabin again without hesitation. Also enjoyed the concierge lounge, even though the coffee machine was broken!:eek:

Adventure Ocean -- very few kids on board, but my 12 and 15 yo really enjoyed hanging out with John in the teen center in the evenings. My 5 yo was too tired from busy days in port or on the rock wall and trampoline, so prefered to hang out in the cabin. They did open the solarium pool to children for a few hours on the last sea day when in was rainy and foggy, but my kids (being hearty minnesotans) still preferred the outdoor pools. None of the adults in the solarium seemed to mind, and the children using indoor pool were quiet and well-behaved.

Dining -- because we were so busy in ports, we elected to dine in Windjammer this cruise. Lots of variety, and we never had trouble finding something we liked! I like asian food, as well as vegetarian dishes, so I actually preferred the selections in windjammer to those in the dining room. The pasta lady (Nikki?) was wonderful, and my 5yo fell in love with her. Mostly ate breakfast in our cabin or the concierge lounge, as we are not the bacon-and-egg type. Only complaint is that there was no coffee available before 6am, and I didn't bring a coffee maker because I was planning on finding my early morning fix in the concierge lounge...

Ports -- we went sailing in Portland (portland Schooner Co.), and then had some wonderful lobster rolls close to the pier (Gilbert's). In the afternoon we rented a car and drove to Freeport and toured the lighthouse.

Bar Harbor -- bus tour in the am-- foggy, but still interesting. In retrospect would have been better hiring a cab, so we could spend more time by the coast, given the foggy weather. We found more lobster rolls for lunch, and in the afternoon, half the family went out on the ship's whale watching tour (cold and wet, and big and crowded boat, but 2 VERY close humpbacks). The others went out on the Diver Ed dive-in theater boat, and loved it!

Saint John -- we rented a car and spent the day hiking at the Irving Nature Park -- great place to explore tidepools and see birds and seals, very close to town. We stopped at reversing falls on our way there and also on our way back, so we could see the water going in both directions. Very foggy that day, but we still had fun, and once again found some lobster rolls before we boarded the ship.

Halifax -- We did the ship's Peggy's cove by land and Sea tour, and really enjoyed it! Lots of dolphins and nice views of the coast on our way there by boat, and relaxing bus tour back.

Embarkation was quick and painless, disembarkation was very slow (only one immigration officer showed up at first, so the line was very slow moving).

We had a 1:30 pm flight home, which left us just enough time to eat lunch at Legal seafood in the airport (one last lobster roll for the road!)

We did enjoy the 2 production shows we attended, and the theater itself was beautiful.

Hope you enjoy your time on the enchantment as much as we did!

I was hoping to see someone from Enchantment on here soon! I was on with you last week - I actually think I may have seen you and your family by the rock wall a few different times - there weren't too families with children those ages, so I'm guessing it was your family.

We had a car rented in St. John and then didn't take it due to the weather. Wish we had after reading that you had a good time doing the same. Also sounds like you saw quite a few whales on the last day. Was this from your balcony? I didn't hear anyone else mention seeing whales - what a siting with all the fog!

No matter the weather, there's nothing better than cruising. No more planned anytime soon - for now I'll just have to roam these boards to help with the cruise withdrawal! :rolleyes:

Also sounds like you saw quite a few whales on the last day. Was this from your balcony? I didn't hear anyone else mention seeing whales - what a siting with all the fog!

No matter the weather, there's nothing better than cruising. No more planned anytime soon - for now I'll just have to roam these boards to help with the cruise withdrawal! :rolleyes:

we saw the whales after 3pm, when the fog lifted. We came out to watch the ice carving, and noticed a crowd gathered at the rail...most of the whales were just distant puffs on the horizon, but a few were closer...we mostly watched from right around the trampoline area.

I know what you mean about cruise withdrawal...I keep on checking my watch, thinking about snack time (those great cookies!).

We really had a great time with the rock wall and trampoline (we were flipping fools:D ), but I sure feel it today! I should have spent more time in the hot tubs and less time whale watching on saturday;) !

Well I did spend a good bit of time in the hot tub on Saturday and it was right when the ice carving was going on! Actually, I waited until the crowd had cleared from that to get in....to think I could have been watching whales instead of watching ice melt!:(

So the jump zone was fun? I never saw it open. I know the weather has to be fairly decent for them to open it. That'll have to be something to do for next time I guess!

It is great to hear that you and your family had such a good time. With the ages of most on the ship, and the weather, the atmosphere was definitely effected. But it looks like you guys had a great time regardless!

The cookies were great! I've been looking for the "room service" button on my phone here at home but can't seem to find it......:)

Thanks for the update! I'm on the Oct 2 sailing and can't wait and also can't seem to get enough info on the sailings before us! Was the coffee machine broken in the Concierge Lounge the whole time? Just wondering if it will be fixed by the time we board. Welcome home!

So the jump zone was fun? I never saw it open. I know the weather has to be fairly decent for them to open it. That'll have to be something to do for next time I guess!
The jump zone was open for a few hours on each of the port days (except Saint John). It can't be used windy or wet weather, which is a shame, as it would be a fun option for a sea day. I ended up doing a few more flips than I should have (I had to keep up with my kids!), but I would go again if we ever return to the Enchantment:cool: . The rock wall was open when we were at sea as well as in port; next time we cruise I will take my digital camera with me up the wall, as the view was really spectacular!
Was the coffee machine broken in the Concierge Lounge the whole time?
It was down the whole time:( ...they did have fresh coffee in a thermos starting at 8am or so. The lounge itself was a great place to have a quiet light breakfast (fruit, danish, smoked salmon, various rolls, juice, and a nice selection of cheese), as well as drinks and treats in the early evening. Guiseppe was great, and was very apologetic about the coffee machine. They seemed to be tinkering with it off and on all week, so perhaps it will be functional by the time you cruise.
But it looks like you guys had a great time regardless!
We really did!:)

How about the buffett restaurant, how is it? Do they serve snack in the afternoon?
We enjoyed the buffet The pasta bar was really nice, as was the grilled chicken. There were always some Asian selections for lunch and dinner, and also middle eastern fare (felafel, hummus, pita) at lunch time. The food-court like arrangement made it easy to find what you were looking for, and seemed to cut down on long lines...you can make your salad when you first enter the buffet, and then pick up a beverage before finding a table. It is very easy to enter back into the main course and dessert stations from the dining areas, so you don't need to juggle multiple plates at once. We never had any problems finding a table, but we didn't eat breakfast there.

Snack time was from 3:30 to 5:00pm --usually Pizza, Tacos, sandwich and salad fixings, fruit, a hot dessert (great apple strudel one day), cookies (also really good), as well as hot dogs, and other items (ribs one day, BBQ chicken the next...). There was also pizza, hot dogs, and burgers available at the Solarium from 11A-7P and again from 10p until after midnight...

We too were on this cruise and agree with Whale-Watchers observations. In addition, I think that table service in the Windjammer was superior to the other RCI ships we have cruised. We ate second seating in the My Fair Lady dining room every night. Our waiter was Julian from Romania, and he was wonderful. For the first time, I tipped our head waiter (Kosal) an additional amount (above the suggested), because we felt that he contributed substantially to a perfect dining experience.

We were busy taking pictures of the ice carving on deck, and now we are bummed that we missed the whales... oh well, maybe next time.

Disembarkation was delayed by senior citizens blocking the stairs from deck two to deck four prior to their tag colors being called. Nothing RCI said could disgorge them from the stairs, so they blocked everyone else. There were two immigration officers at their posts at 9:20, and we saw no delays there. All the delays were on-board, as RCI staff was trying to avoid lines inside the terminal.

Is Celebrity sailing to New England/Canada in the future?

Nothing RCI said could disgorge them from the stairs...
:D ...LOL...love your use of the word "disgorge"!
do they have fettucini alfredo on the ship in the wind jammer
The selection of pasta and sauces available varied from day to day...I think that alfredo sauce was offered most nights, however.

Dear whalewatcher

thrilled you had such a good cruise and wondering if you could help us out a little. We're booked on enchantment in a few weeks and have JS 7666 which I believe would be directly below your location. Any info on this cabin/ location would be greatly appreciated, things like couls you see the whole balcony area from above or are there areas that arent overlooked etc. As the excitement mounts any info would be fantastic

Many thanks in advance

It was nice meeting you Whalewatcher........

I too had a GREAT cruise......And the BEST lobster roll in Kennebunkport at

"Allisons" It was soooo good and my hubby had a grilled crab melt and it was fabulous

I can honestly say that I am tired of eating.It was all just so good. Even the lobster tail at dinner was so yummy Everyone at my table had two. Our waiter who was great almost insisted.

The highlight of my trip was kayaking in halifax What a amazing time we had

Well off to bed....on East Coast time still and I am still rocking Hope that goes away soon

Dear whalewatcher

thrilled you had such a good cruise and wondering if you could help us out a little. We're booked on enchantment in a few weeks and have JS 7666 which I believe would be directly below your location. Any info on this cabin/ location would be greatly appreciated, things like couls you see the whole balcony area from above or are there areas that arent overlooked etc. As the excitement mounts any info would be fantastic

Many thanks in advance

I think that when we looked down we could see the edge of the balcony below, but these balconies are very deep, and the area back from the rail is much more private than we expected. We only heard music from the lounge on deck 6 one one night, and except for those time when we were all at the rails (basically, just at sailaway on day 1), we never saw another person back there. We also found the balcony to be warmer and more sheltered than others we have had, so we even ended up using it during the wet spells; the only drawback was that we would have quite a bit of water on deck 8 balconies first thing in the morning, after they swabbed the decks above, but this seemed to dissipate quickly.
By the way, did you get a chance to try any lobster rolls? ;) :D
if I ate one more, I would have to grow a larger shell!;)
I can honestly say that I am tired of eating
I know what you mean! It was actually refreshing to have black coffee and dry toast for breakfast today!

Good morn everyone. I am glad u all had a great time on the Enchantment!!

My wife & daughter & self are flying up from Tampa Bay on Sat, for our cruise to Quebec City on the Enchantment. Our other daughter is flying in from San Diego.

After we get to Quebec City we are going to rent a car & drive back to Boston to take in all the beautiful colors of fall in New England.

How early did they let u board in Boston

Charlie?

Hi everyone. I registered specifically to give my impression of this cruise. Let me first say that I read a lot of cruise critic before we went, and I learned a lot of useful tips to make our first cruise an enjoyable one.

This cruise was a gift to me and my wife from my parents. We went as part of a group of 18, all of them except us I believe were experienced cruisers. We took a chartered Greyhound Bus from Pittsburgh to Boston. I have nothing good to say about either Embarkation or Disembarkation, I will say it was organized chaos and leave it at that. A RC representative claimed it wasn't their normal terminal, but organized chaos was the best way to describe it.

The ship was nice, and what I expected on first impression.

The dinner was superb, and our waiter, Sergiy, really made it enjoyable every night. All the food was really good for that matter, can't say I had a bad thing on ths ship.

The Boleros lounge was my favorite, the band Azucar was fantastic and the staff of the Boleros was lively and energetic all the time. I loved it there.

The Viking Crown lounge seemed dead every time we went there, and if it's always that way RC should consider turning it into something else, as it is just wasted space. Though I have to say, the crowd on the ship was older, so that might explain why it was dead all the time.

Also loved Tom the Piano guy, and Denzil the waiter in the Schooner bar. Turned into one of our favorite places on the ship because of these two.

I guess I will keep this short, if anyone has any questions for me just let them fly and I will try to answer them.

Oh - two more things, didn't go to many of the shows, but Bobby Arvon was great and I highly recommend it.

Also, my wife got seasick at least two days. Kind of made her experience a little less enjoyable, but we had fun overall. I think if I were to do it again though, I would book a shorter cruise, as I started to feel clausterphobic towards the end.

Oh, and if anyone went to the TV trivia, i am the guy the cruise director was making fun of, calling me the couch potato kid:)

Eric

Thanks for your trip summary. My wife and I are going on our first cruise in December, on the Enchantment to the Western Caribbean, so any info about the boat is appreciated. :)

Since we live in New England, we looked into the Canada itinerary as a possibility for our first cruise.... turns out it's quite a bit more expensive to do that one than it is to do the Western Caribbean. (Besides, since we live here and can drive places, it's not quite the same.) Also, from everything I've read, the water up here is a good deal rougher (witness the routinely canceled tenders to Martha's Vineyard), so we thought we'd be better served with a smoother ride for our first cruise.

I'm especially pleased by your Windjammer info. I don't eat red meat or fowl, so I was worried I'd be limited, but from your description it sounds like I'll have plenty of choices. So, at least I know that, if the dining room is serving prime rib, I can excuse myself from the table and run up to the Windjammer to eat something. :D

Thanks for your trip summary. My wife and I are going on our first cruise in December, on the Enchantment to the Western Caribbean, so any info about the boat is appreciated. :)

Since we live in New England, we looked into the Canada itinerary as a possibility for our first cruise.... turns out it's quite a bit more expensive to do that one than it is to do the Western Caribbean. (Besides, since we live here and can drive places, it's not quite the same.) Also, from everything I've read, the water up here is a good deal rougher (witness the routinely canceled tenders to Martha's Vineyard), so we thought we'd be better served with a smoother ride for our first cruise.

I'm especially pleased by your Windjammer info. I don't eat red meat or fowl, so I was worried I'd be limited, but from your description it sounds like I'll have plenty of choices. So, at least I know that, if the dining room is serving prime rib, I can excuse myself from the table and run up to the Windjammer to eat something. :D

I have to say to your last comment, there is always plenty of selection in the main dining room, and I'm sure they can find you a suitable meal if one that you like is not on the menu.

Eric

Archived