Buying cheese abroad...

We've brought back hard cheeses from Italy frequently. Yes, that type is available here, but it's not as good as what you get in Italy. We've also bought a couple of cases of wine and brought it back from Italy (when sailing TA). It's SOOOO much better then what we can buy here, at any price. And I think the customs duty on a case was approx $12 (like $1 a bottle)

We brought cheeses from France and other countries in the past, most of them on our TA cruises. Last time, we bought some fresh cheese in Lisbon - sealed.

Put them in the cabin's " fridge" - mine was OK when we got to FL, my friend's cheese was all covered with mold. I brought them thru customs with no problem.

There is no problem transporting foodstuffs from one EU country to the other. We frequently buy cheeses in France and bring them back to the UK.

Many of the cheeses are readily available in the UK, but some are not. I don't know if I would be bothered taking it on a plane. Only if it was something very special. We normally go. To France in our car.

EU to EU country dairy transport seems fine to me:

https://italy.visahq.com/customs/

I am hoping to restore Greece's financial fortunes by buying as much buttery Baklava as I possibly can and bringing it back on the ship.

baklava_797587.jpg

HAHA…. This was me bringing cannolli from Sicily back onto the ship (for late night snacks ) :D btw: the couple we were traveling with were VERY jealous…..LOL

HAHA…. This was me bringing cannolli from Sicily back onto the ship (for late night snacks ) :D btw: the couple we were traveling with were VERY jealous…..LOL

Oh My! Now all I can think about is buying a cannolli in Taormina. Yumm.;);)

Before you go' date=' I would advise you to check out the US regulations regarding cheese. Some European cheeses are not pasteurized and I don't know if they would be allowed into the US.

The only cheese we have ever brought home was vacuum packed Gouda from Curacao.[/quote']

Agree. Also best to review official sites. Also, You might want to avoid cheese wrapped and looks like a "beef" stick. We had cheese from Holland that looked like that and a customs official at LAX thought it was beef. It was about 30 minutes before we could get out of there and only another agent finally intervened and prevented the first from either confiscating or opening it.

Food products made in the E.U. can be brought off the ship within the E.U. (by E.U. treaties).

As far as bringing foods into the U.S. (and Canada), all meats and meat products from the E.U. are generally not allowed unless you have a specific (for the product) casual importation license ahead of time. Cheeses are o.k., IIRC, as long as they are hard (Gouda, Edam, Cheddar, etc. are o.k. and Italian grating cheeses are definitely o.k. but stuff like Brie and Camembert and the like are not) and contain no whey.

Fresh-baked goods are o.k. as long as they contain no meat.

Forget about all fruit and veg into the U.S. O.K. for Canada in general if 1) they're not grown commercially in Canada, or 2) are out of season.

We brought back cheese from Amsterdam once and upon entering customs in Atlanta, had answered that yes, we had cheese on the form. We were sent to the "naughty room" and sat for 30 - 45 minutes while the customs people were visiting with each other. Thankfully, we weren't trying to make a tight connection. Finally, our names were called and were asked if we indeed had cheese. We said yes that we had visited a cheese making factory and purchased a couple of rounds. They put an "OK" on our form and sent us on our way. Very frustrating. Won't do that again.

Cole

• 4 weeks later...