Box Lunches

pdx13

• 3 months later...

Definitely NOT in Chili. I had taken one apple from the lounge in DC and forgot about it. Upon entry in Chili airport I was fined $200.

Because of my Oscar performance with crying and big tears - I walked away with a warning. Chili wont allow anything, nuts, fruits, food from abroad!

Something else to consider... on day long tours, even private ones, the lunch break is often when the tour guide and driver also eat. Often they will be fed (separately) by the restaurant staff. By trying to bypass lunch, you may also be denying them their lunch.

This wax not something I was aware of in my earlier days of private touring but something I am more sensitive to now. I find this to be especially important when touring in places where prices may seem reasonable (or even inexpensive) by my first world standards but are actually exhorbant to a local. Bali is one such locals that comes to mind.

Definitely NOT in Chili. I had taken one apple from the lounge in DC and forgot about it. Upon entry in Chili airport I was fined $200.

Because of my Oscar performance with crying and big tears - I walked away with a warning. Chili wont allow anything, nuts, fruits, food from abroad!

Just a thought...it's Chile, not Chili, and not pronounced as Chili.

In ports that allow food to be brought off ship ( not all, always check) where we want to avoid eating locally or have food for when the lunch opportunity is too late for health and comfort, we just bring along many big ziplocks for the cruise and fill them with sandwiches made from our morning room service order including cheese, bread, lunch meats, cookies, etc stuck into the ziplocks in a small insulated lunch bag, with napkins and soda or water, and eat them enroute, they are not fancy but take little space and keep the wolf away.

But as others have stated, beware of NZ and Australia. They officially usually allow NO food or beverage besides water unless you have a doctor note, though if you declare totally packaged items, they may or may not allow them in after inspection, i.e., variable enforcement. On a recent cruise there with another line, I wanted to bring a can of diet coke and a can of sealed Pringles with me on an excursion, and was told NO, water only. They often had local inspectors checking pax daypacks and confiscating food while leaving the shop, big signs were posted about fine risks. I even saw an old man from the cruise have his pocket mints confiscated in Melbourne. Better safe than sorry. It was one of the few things I really disliked about travel there, (liked everything else, lovely countries!) as I need to carry snacks and liquids with me for frequent ingestion to avoid feeling ill and sometimes local lunching just takes too long to order and get served if you are on a rushed excursion.

Entering US I also had a piece of black forest cake I was bringing home to eat confiscated (the whipping cream layer was considered a "dairy product").

Just a thought...it's Chile, not Chili, and not pronounced as Chili.

It's possible that DCCruiselover didn't know the difference in spelling before your correction, but I'd like to applaud that poster for his/her gracious response to you.

It's actually against the CC rules to correct a fellow member's spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Plus, before taking it upon yourself to point out someone's error, you should always bear in mind these days that many people are using devices with auto-correct, and their devices are often responsible for spelling mistakes.

It's possible that DCCruiselover didn't know the difference in spelling before your correction, but I'd like to applaud that poster for his/her gracious response to you.

It's actually against the CC rules to correct a fellow member's spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Plus, before taking it upon yourself to point out someone's error, you should always bear in mind these days that many people are using devices with auto-correct, and their devices are often responsible for spelling mistakes.

Point taken, especially regarding auto-correct functions. Indeed the poster was very gracious. As English is my second language, I always appreciate corrections.

This past August and September we visited quite a few ports in the Med. Without exception, everyone of them stated that no food products, meats, fruits,etc were permitted to be taken ashore. Some ports had few personnel around and others had soldiers with sniffing dogs. The information is always printed in the day's newspaper.

Chile is a very large fruit exporter ... if you are buying apples/pears/peaches/grapes in a USA supermarket during the winter, Chilean produce is always well-represented. It's not surprising they have heavy-handed measures to lessen the chance of introducing foreign (insect) pests.

DC - Thanks for the warning!