Does Google Voice work on Princess Internet System?

Rbel4

I just installed Google Voice on my laptop which allows me to make free calls over my laptop computer...at least in the US.

Does anyone know if Google Voice works when in international waters on Princess Wifi system to make calls back to the US? If so, is there a charge to make calls and if so, how much?

We are going on the 28 day Crown Princess cruise of Hawaii and South Pacific..and it would be great to use Google Voice if it works on the ships Wifi system.

Thanks

Does anyone know if Skype phone call service (not the video) where you can buy unlimited international calls for about $14 a month work on Princess Wifi? The service appears to allow you to call anyone with a phone such as my mother who does not have a computer.

Thanks

Skype has several programs. Allowing you to call landlines, cell phones or both. We've used it for several years now to talk with DD in Rome.

If you get a local phone number through Skype your mom can call and leave a message if need be.

Don't know if it'll work over the ships wifi.

I just installed Google Voice on my laptop which allows me to make free calls over my laptop computer...at least in the US.

Does anyone know if Google Voice works when in international waters on Princess Wifi system to make calls back to the US? If so, is there a charge to make calls and if so, how much?

We are going on the 28 day Crown Princess cruise of Hawaii and South Pacific..and it would be great to use Google Voice if it works on the ships Wifi system.

Thanks

Princess Wifi is slow and expensive. ,Depending on the package you choose the cost is about 30 cents to 75 cents per minute. If you use it to connect to a pay site, those charges would be extra.

Keep in mind that in Hawaii, your cell phone should work and cost the same as at home (usually no cost). I have not gotten to checking on American Samoa to see if it is included in our plan

From my FAQ:

Skype, Facetime, Etc.

A common question is whether Skype and similar services will work on cruise ships, and the answer is yes, but…

The amount of information (bandwith) that can be sent and received from the ship is very limited due to it being a satellite connection. Skype (especially with video) consumes a large portion of that capacity. This has two effects, possibly making your connection very poor, but also reducing the amount available to the other ships passengers. Depending on the satellite signal, 3 or 4 skype users can take up almost half of the total capacity for all passengers.

For this reason some ship’s engineers block voip and streaming services. This is becoming more common as the amount of smartphones and other devices proliferate.

If you need to use such a service, connecting during off hours (very late evenings, very early mornings and while in port) can reduce both your issues and impact on other passengers.

Caveat - lines are rolling out better internet and new packages that may change the equation, but not Princess, yet.

I've used the Vonage app on my iPhone to call back to the U.S. for years. It's free, calls to the US are free, and, with voice only (all I use) it can be pretty good. I tend to use it mostly when the ship is in port; wifi is usually better then. And I can call my mom on her phone and she even sees my caller ID pop up. It doesn't always work (totally dependent on the strength and speed of the wifi signal) but it's the best system I've found so far.

With snail-like speed, and very high latency, experience will suck. I used Skype, be ready for voice lag, and frequent disconnects.

I have used skype voice-only, on quite a few cruises without issue.

Usually around 1830, when the chow-hounds are not online.