Best place to buy euros

nanaj1

I concur, ATM's on the streets of wherever you are going. I always get about 150.00 in Euros from my bank in US before I leave. Unfortunately, I pay about 20% in fees for the 150.00 but I like having the cash with me. When I see an ATM on the street, I hit it up and only pay 2.50 US Dollars for the use of the ATM. Remember to tell your bank you are heading out of the country, my card always worked at ATM's as well as any other place. I will say I was on the Eiffel Tower in June and saw a guy trying to use his US credit card that did not have a chip. The restaurant could not take his card because it did not have a chip. Our US cards are getting them, but be aware of this. Europe likes and sometimes will only use the chip cards.

Maybe it's different in the UK but I would just obtain currency from an exchange shop before I leave...? There are online tools which show you the best rates available from the different shops. Using your card to withdraw cash is rarely the best value unless you have a card specifically designed for travel with no fees.

I usually look for an ATM in the airport when we arrive in Europe, before we leave the airport. I don't use the exchange counters at the airport, they have a terrible rate.

I usually buy about 100 Euros from my local bank, just in case.

If you have a Bank of America account or credit card, you can order foreign currency through the mail at a pretty good rate. Wells Fargo offers the same.

Not long ago, anyone could order from the Wells Fargo site, but now you have to have an account there.

Maybe it's different in the UK but I would just obtain currency from an exchange shop before I leave...? There are online tools which show you the best rates available from the different shops. Using your card to withdraw cash is rarely the best value unless you have a card specifically designed for travel with no fees.

It IS different in the US since we do not have exchange shops.

For the best rate, use your bank debit card at a bank ATM.

For US travelers please note that Europe uses the EMV standard which basically means that your debit/credit card needs a chip on it.

If yours does not have the chip which is visible when you look at the front of the card, call your bank and have them send you a new card. This applies to both debit and credit cards.

Edited by aibanez

I did not know that! You learn something new every day. Any idea why that is?

Because our northern and southern border countries accept dollars so we really don't need to exchange

Because we are not at all like the European Union

Because when we take road trips we are crossing state borders not country borders

We do have exchange places.....at airports.....at American Express offices...at our banks via ordering...

That are convenient for us to get euro before we travel

For those of you coming here you should just do what we do when going there....

Get pocket dollars from your home....and then use ATM here in the good ole USA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I bought mine through AAA (I also got a small amount of turkish lira). They charged $1.16 per euro, today's rate is 1.11. My debit card was going to charge $6 plus 4% plus whatever fee the foreign ATM machine charged, so I thought this would at least be a fixed fee and I won't have to worry whether they will take my chipless ATM card. That and I got to charge it on my credit card, and I have more than enough reward points on the card to pay for the whole shebang, so it's like free euros :p

In other news, I need to use the reward points on my credit card more often.

For US travelers please note that Europe uses the EMV standard which basically means that your debit/credit card needs a chip on it.

This is not true at all, you don't need a chip and pin card for ATMs and Credit Card purchases in a shop. The only time you might encounter a problem is using it at parking garage automats and train stations when purchasing tickets from the machine.

Edited by Sauer-kraut