Northern Lights

19woody19

We were able to see the northern lights a few years ago when we were on a land/sea cruise and spent the night in Denali but we are wondering if it is possible to see them from the ship in any port?

Anything is possible. If there is a solar storm like the one a few weeks ago, if there isn't a lot of clouds like there usually are, and if you are up and outside late enough to see them if they happen. We will be on an inside passage cruise a couple of weeks before your cruise and we were hoping the same thing. Not going to be disappointed if we don't see them. Probably a better chance in winter (I won't be going then, however). :cool:

We saw the Northern Lights while sailing between Iceland and Greenland. Very exciting and I got an amazing picture with my ordinary camera. It was one night only. Conditions have to be just right.

Good Luck.

I was surprised to see them a few years back at the East entrance to Glacier NP Montana in August. So you never know. The problem is, you need to be awake and looking at the rite time. I live in Alaska and am not awake and looking very often.:D When they show here, it's usually after midnight.

We were able to see the northern lights a few years ago when we were on a land/sea cruise and spent the night in Denali but we are wondering if it is possible to see them from the ship in any port?

Here's a link to the University of Alaska's Northern Lights forecaster. You can play with the date as you get close to your cruise date. But as someone else noted, you have to be able to see the sky at night. Have a great cruise.

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

Thanks for all the posts. Never really heard anyone mention seeing them from the ship so I thought i would inquire. When we were in Denali we asked the hotel desk clerk to wake us if they were out. Got a call about 2:30 am and that's when we were able to watch.Too bad the chances are so slim as that would make an already great cruise even better. Thanks again and hope everyone will have many fun cruises in the future. bob