Do Early Saver Fares qualify for price drops?

tensixmom

Booked my first cruise on line a few weeks ago using the Early Saver fare. I don't know much about cruising or pricing (or anything else for that matter) but I am wondering if anyone knows... if it's already paid for, and the price drops, are the Early Saver fares eligible for a credit or however that would work?

Thanks, experts!

If you paid in full, then you will receive OBC. If you paid just a down payment then you can get the fare reductions up til final payment is made. To receive price drops you have to match exact catagories. When you find a reduction just call Carnival and ask the rep. to make the changes. They will be glad to do it. Keep looking, price changes are done all times of the day. They come and go very quickly. Hope this helps a little.

Booked my first cruise on line a few weeks ago using the Early Saver fare. I don't know much about cruising or pricing (or anything else for that matter) but I am wondering if anyone knows... if it's already paid for, and the price drops, are the Early Saver fares eligible for a credit or however that would work?

Thanks, experts!

You question has been answered.

My concern is that you booked Early Saver and no one helped you understand the rules. May I ask did you book yourself on line or was it thru an agent,(PVP, TA or third party website)?

Early Saver is a great way to save money or get OBC but there are some very strict rules regarding cancelation. I would have hoped someone would have helped you understand all the ins and outs.

We are booking for the first time on Carnival as well and were thinking of early saver.

You mentioned some strict rules about cancellation, any other pros and cons not mentioned in the "big print" on the website about these fares?

Hi, go through and research, read, read again and then read again EVERYTHING you can find about early saver. Also, read the cruise contract thoroughly and all of the documents out there on the Carnival website.

Yes, I am going to say it cuz I cannot help myself, how the heck do you book a big ticket item like a cruise and not know or understand ALL of the rules and restrictions that go along with it. Seriously???? As you are already booked (OP) you probably want to do your due diligence asap (should have been done first of course :rolleyes:) so you have no surprises when you need to change or cancel something.

Did you get travel insurance? Never mind...:eek:

I almost always book early saver. I'm a planner and have never had an issue. Getting vacation time isn't an issue for DH or myself. And living clear across the country I like to book airfare early. The ES rate is strict but some make it sound so scary. For $50 you can change if you need to. And they will keep the deposit if you cancel.

We've received 3-4 price drops for our next cruise in April and have about $170 once now. Keep in mind you can't match to a guaranty rate, which is where carnival picks your room. And when rooms in your category are sold out, that's the end and no more price drops.

About four months out from your cruise date, Carnival will offer an Early Saver Last Call rate, which might be cheaper than your current rate or include OBC or both. I was able to snag about $170 of OBC with that one, which should pay off all the gratuities nicely. After that, I was never able to find a cheaper rate for my specific cabin category.

And when rooms in your category are sold out, that's the end and no more price drops.

But continue to check prices - folks cancel their cruise and/or upgrade so cabin categories can become available at any time. I've gotten on board credit for a price drop as late as 2 weeks before a cruise.

Hi, go through and research, read, read again and then read again EVERYTHING you can find about early saver. Also, read the cruise contract thoroughly and all of the documents out there on the Carnival website.

Yes, I am going to say it cuz I cannot help myself, how the heck do you book a big ticket item like a cruise and not know or understand ALL of the rules and restrictions that go along with it. Seriously???? As you are already booked (OP) you probably want to do your due diligence asap (should have been done first of course :rolleyes:) so you have no surprises when you need to change or cancel something.

Did you get travel insurance? Never mind...:eek:

Sounds like you have OCD:D Thousands buy cruises without reading. They buy a ticket and perhaps insurance and have no problems.

I book last minute and have no problems. Before CC I didn't even know about things, paid full price, and was perfectly happy with the outcomes.

The only thing about Early saver that I hate is that YOU have to do the work. They don't automatically give you the lower rate. You have to keep checking and submit the form.

Glad you found CC. You can learn so many things here. When I think about how much money I could have saved over the years had I only known.

The only thing about Early saver that I hate is that YOU have to do the work. They don't automatically give you the lower rate. You have to keep checking and submit the form.

Glad you found CC. You can learn so many things here. When I think about how much money I could have saved over the years had I only known.

I don't know of any retail business that automatically gives you refunds for price matches - yes, "you have to do the work".

You're assuming the price of the cruises you've taken has actually gone down - while some do get price drops, many cruises just go up and up as the sale date gets closer. And you've been a member here about 7 years, so you've had the possibility for price adjustments during those 7 years.

I don't know of any retail business that automatically gives you refunds for price matches - yes, "you have to do the work".

You're assuming the price of the cruises you've taken has actually gone down - while some do get price drops, many cruises just go up and up as the sale date gets closer. And you've been a member here about 7 years, so you've had the possibility for price adjustments during those 7 years.

Yes, but when I buy an item at a store it is for instant use, not something that I won't be doing (using) for a year or more.

I have saved money in recent years but I am talking about before that.

Edited by thomarvin

Hi all, sorry, no I didn't research beforehand, but this is a (very short and inexpensive) honeymoon so I don't foresee my dates changing and I was trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

Thanks for all the info and advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Drazil65 - pretty harsh comment to someone asking a question don't you think?

Anyway, I have cruised many times and have used ES for most of those. I'm aware of the cancellation fees, name change fees, etc. but I've never seen anything on ES that says whether or not you can change your cabin category. For instance, we are booked for the Carnival Vista next year in one of the 4 Havana Cabana Suites. I'm not so sure I want to keep that cabin for 2 reasons. It's ridiculously expensive and I'm not sure what Carnival is going to do to keep other curious passengers from walking right up to the patio areas of these cabins. Since they will be opening up the area after 5:oo pm each night for all passengers, it doesn't appear that there is any way to secure the patio/balcony areas for these cabins. Has anyone ever changed to a lower category on the same sailing with ES???

Drazil65 - pretty harsh comment to someone asking a question don't you think?

Anyway, I have cruised many times and have used ES for most of those. I'm aware of the cancellation fees, name change fees, etc. but I've never seen anything on ES that says whether or not you can change your cabin category. For instance, we are booked for the Carnival Vista next year in one of the 4 Havana Cabana Suites. I'm not so sure I want to keep that cabin for 2 reasons. It's ridiculously expensive and I'm not sure what Carnival is going to do to keep other curious passengers from walking right up to the patio areas of these cabins. Since they will be opening up the area after 5:oo pm each night for all passengers, it doesn't appear that there is any way to secure the patio/balcony areas for these cabins. Has anyone ever changed to a lower category on the same sailing with ES???

To my knowledge, if you booked early saver, you can only upgrade your cabin category - you can not move down. So whatever the next best Category is above the Havana Suite would be your next option.

I always go ES, the cancellation policy is "strict" but at the same time, you get a credit to use within 2 years if you do have to cancel, minus 50.00. To me, this is a great thing, I've actually had to do that once, and a 50.00 fee was no big deal.

Always check the rates, one thing to keep in mind, is what cabin you book. I'm not too picky, and usually stick with a mid grade balcony, or lower category balcony. I've noticed as I stick with my 7C cabin on Dream class ships, they sell out, and a sale comes along, people seem to upgrade, and all of a sudden 7C's are back in the running, and dropping like a stone to get others to upgrade to them, freeing up super cheap fares last minute. If you go with the top of the line in a category, It seems once they sell out, they rarely open back up again, everyone tries to upgrade to them. I stick with OBC. Last year our OBC was over 800, and it sold out a few times before we got that far.

It's a smart business move, they know they won't attract people on a 769 balcony that's open in the top tier, but someone who paid early 769 for a lower tier will snatch it up, freeing up a 500 price point for the cabin they vacated, which someone who hasn't booked, will snag up sooner. Push people to the top, and the bottom opens that's how you get the 149,99 7 day cruises opening, getting 150 is better than nothing to them.

I booked yesterday on the conquest and asked the same question. I was told that since I had an early saver with a guarantee balcony, we didn't qualify. I'm not exactly sure if you're in the same situation, but that's what we were told! I'm going to keep watch anyway... who knows!!!

I booked yesterday on the conquest and asked the same question. I was told that since I had an early saver with a guarantee balcony, we didn't qualify. I'm not exactly sure if you're in the same situation, but that's what we were told! I'm going to keep watch anyway... who knows!!!

I do not believe you will get any, The problem is, you compare category to category. In your case, you don't know what the category is, you may get the highest, or lowest. They can't price match you to the lowest class since you may get a different one.

Sorry but I don't understand how you are booked early saver with a guarantee? I thought Early Saver fares always let you choose your cabin. Every time I have done an ES booking online I have chosen the cabin then.