AMA vs Avalon Mekong cruise

longellen

My TA is on this cruise right now with AMA. I know they are very impressed with the AMA and the ship (AMALOTUS). I will find out more later this week when they get home (fly home the 5th). Most rankings put AMA higher than Avalon.

Edited by Coral

Looking at a tour cruise Hanoi to Saigon in November 2015. any comments on which company to choose for experiences, guides , services. The AMA ship newer and has more passengers. Any comments appreciated.

Avalon Siem Reap ship launched 2015. Avalon designed its size so it is only ship to sail from Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) to Siem Reap across Tonle Sap lake or vice versa thus avoiding 7 hour bumpy bus ride. Cabins 245 square feet; 36 passengers. Not sure what you mean cruise from Hanoi to Saigon. Mekong river is between Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) and Siem Reap Cambodia. Vietnam itineraries that include Hanoi schedule flight to Hanoi. Hanoi flight to Ho Chi Minh is just short of 5 hours.

We used AMA a few years ago for the land/cruise tour that started in Hanoi. Also two couples we told about the cruise decided to come along. One couple is dedicated to Crystal, and the other couple routinely cruises on the biggest suite on Princess. All of us loved the experience from start to finish.

For the record, we did not have a bumpy 7 hr ride from Siem Reap to the ship on Tonle Sap Lake. The water level of the lake does vary widely depending on the time of the year and amount of recent rainfall. The water level is a fact that affects every tour company in the same way.

Not to dissuade you from Avalon - they have an excellent reputation also. Just haven't used them -- yet. Look at the entire itinerary for each line and choose the one that most suits you.

Amalotus 2011. AMa ship older

Amawaterways is launching a new ship in Cambodia this month . AmaDara. I am booked on this ship in December. Has a private dining room (Chefs Table) and no Aquarium class cabins. All cabins have the Amawaterways twin balconies. Has anyone accessed the Tonle Sap lake on a December sailing. Probably with have the long bus trip. Hope some photos are released of the christening.

For the record, we did not have a bumpy 7 hr ride from Siem Reap to the ship on Tonle Sap Lake. The water level of the lake does vary widely depending on the time of the year and amount of recent rainfall. The water level is something every company has to handle in the same way.

Avalon has published in their tour books and on their website.

NOTE: During low water conditions, generally late December to June, we will not be able to cross Tonle Sap. In these cases, we will fly and sightseeing will begin in afternoon. No included sightseeing will be missed.

7 hour bus ride is a lost day. I have read the reviews - 7 hour bumpy ride, two comfort stops. Low point of vacation.

Regarding balconies on any river cruise on the Mekong - Mosquitoes!!

Mosquitoes equal higher risk of malaria, denque fever and Japanese encephalitis. Check with your travel medicine clinic to find out the risk and the precautions necessary.

Edited by Shebely

We sailed the Mekong with Avalon on the trip before the new boat. There were 19 of us and it was fantastic. We have a Kiwi CD and a guide travel with us in Vietnam and then a Cambodian guide in that country. Now not only a new build with a massage area and a small gym. The food was very good, tours excellent and the pax mix really nice. If I had to do it again, I would go with Avalon--love small ships. Pat