Air Question Re: December Sun Cruise

HunniB

Hello:

It's the first time cruiser back again with another question for those knowledgable cruisers out there.

On Monday we made our final payment on our Dec. 4th Sun departure. I phoned the agent today to see when we find out about our flights since we had signed up for the Air/Sea program. The agent said that Norwegians policy is not to ticket air until 30 days prior to departure. I am wondering if there is a way to get them to ticket now. I don't care if the tickets cost them less money than they charged us for $488.00 from Providence (and now) to Houston, I just want the ticketing done and set so that I don't have to think about having them come back to me for more money for airline surcharges. Plus, I would like to have some selection as to a preferred flight.

Right now the perfect flights for us (with plenty of time for delays, etc.) are on AA through Dallas and are pricing on AA at $299.80. The agent has asked Norwegian to ticket and just keep the almost $200.00 difference, but Norwegian is refusing saying it is not their policy.

Is this standard practice? Is there some secret that the agent should know or something? My husband and I thought it was best to have Norwegian do both the air and the cruise, but now we are wondering if we should have done the air separately. (Of course, if we had done that, we would probably have booked our flights already to New Orleans!! and have to be paying penalties to change them to Houston.)

Any thoughts on how to "strong arm" Norwegian would be appreciated.

Is this standard practice? Is there some secret that the agent should know or something? My husband and I thought it was best to have Norwegian do both the air and the cruise, but now we are wondering if we should have done the air separately. (Of course, if we had done that, we would probably have booked our flights already to New Orleans!! and have to be paying penalties to change them to Houston.)

Any thoughts on how to "strong arm" Norwegian would be appreciated.

It's standard practice for NCL to not ticket your flights until about 30 days out. Unless you pay for premium air, you have no say on the flights, the times or the routing. You also won't have seats assigned by NCL because NCL doesn't assign seats. You'll have to call the airline, once you've been ticketed, and request that your seats be together for all flights. So there's really no strong arm tactic to use. That's how it's done. Personally, unless the price in unbelievable, I don't book air with the cruise line. The flights are never as good. Cruise lines get bulk seats from the airline and it's usually on the least desirable flights.

i booked air and cruise a year in advance and and paid in full 6-mos before the cruise i didn't receive my tickets and cruice doc untill 3-weeks before, they were great tickets ( non-stop i then called delta and set up all window seats, everything went great, georgia to seattle round trip $503 ) don't worry you will get them ! :D

Dean

I believe if you book thru NCL there is a real good chance the ship would not sail if your plane was delayed, I've been on two of their cruises out of Charleston where the ship was delayed from sailing ( supplies were delayed :rolleyes: )because of a late arrivals.

Air fares are jumping around by $100 to $150 for the same day, flight,

to Houston. I guess it all depends what time your on the computor, the day or week when you are trying to schedule your flight.

I just exchanged air from New Orleans to Houston with AA for a January 8th flight without a penalty, but I had to do this in person at Logan Airport. I tried to do this over the phone but the agent for AA wanted an increase fare of $112 plus $50 pentalty and $12.50 surcharge for the transaction over the phone. If any body needs to exchange their tickets.. do it in person.

Thank you all for your messages. Seems like I will just have to be patient! Control freak that I am though, it will be tough. I will just have to keep trusting my agent, she hasn't steered us wrong yet. I will be waiting to see when she gets in touch with us about any upsale possibilities. We are in AE and I sure wouldn't mind, say, an AA!! LOL Thanks again for everyones replies. I LOVE this board! :D

I booked my flights with NCL as part of the package, including hotels, transfers etc.

Within 48 hours I received confirmation by PDF email from NCL with flight times, flight numbers, airlines, hotels, transfer details and cabin number. This was back in June. I was able to contact both airlines who are providing the flights and arrange my seat on all 6 legs - 3 each way. The main airline, Iberia, have contacted me twice to alter flight numbers/times by email.

So far I have found NCL, Iberia and British Midland Airways to be incredibly efficient. Thus I am more than happy with the way things are being done, which I suspect are slightly different from how its done in the US.

Thank you all for your messages. Seems like I will just have to be patient! Control freak that I am though, it will be tough. I will just have to keep trusting my agent, she hasn't steered us wrong yet. I will be waiting to see when she gets in touch with us about any upsale possibilities. We are in AE and I sure wouldn't mind, say, an AA!! LOL Thanks again for everyones replies. I LOVE this board! :D

With lovely "Rita" headed for Houston it might be very wise for NCL to wait to ticket. You could end up in Miami - lets all pray that is not the case for the residents of Texas.

While Hurricane Rita is heading toward Houston, most of Houston is above sea level.

Barber's Point, where the NCL pier is located, is 50 miles or so inland from the Gulf of Mexico on Galveston Bay.

Some areas of Houston can flood, but this usually restricted to the lowest areas near creeks and bayous. Most of Houston will remain high and dry.

I wouldn't worry much about Houston flooding like New Orleans.

Archived