Diamonds

TerpsBball

Hello,

We are on the Allure in November, docking at Crown Bay. Is there a reputable place near there to buy good diamond stud earrings? If not at St. Thomas, what about St. Maarten?

Thanks

I think you already know the answer to this. Google the NBC Rosser Report about cruise port jewelry.

I saw that segment, and I don't think they did enough research to make the claim about cruise ports since they only investigated stores in one port and neither was an Eastern Caribbean port.

I'm not much of a jewelry buyer, but that segment made the producers look like they were clearly out to show the worst scammers and made no mention of authorized luxury dealers like Rolex, Breitling, David Yurman, etc.

I think you already know the answer to this. Google the NBC Rosser Report about cruise port jewelry.

Nope, didn't know the answer. That's why I asked. We've been to St. Thomas a few times, but we've never stopped in Crown Bay, nor have we shopped for jewelry. I've heard people like to buy diamonds/jewelry at St. Thomas/St. Maarten and thought it would be a nice surprise for my wife while we were on vacation.

Edited by TerpsBball

Nope, didn't know the answer. That's why I asked. We've been to St. Thomas a few times, but we've never stopped in Crown Bay, nor have we shopped for jewelry. I've heard people like to buy diamonds/jewelry at St. Thomas/St. Maarten and thought it would be a nice surprise for my wife while we were on vacation.

There are dozens of Jewelers in St. Thomas, mainly in downtown Charlotte Amalie, near both ports around the Winward Passage.

Avoid the chains (DI!) & do your homework at your local jewelers. Make sure you know the ballpark price for what you want & get the GIA classification for the diamond you are considering

There are stores like Cardow, Bobby's, & Imperial that have been around for a very long time & where the island residents shop.

You might also consider pieces unique to the island, such as the Island collection at Cardow or a creation from the Pearl Lady.

Edited by HarpHarp

There are dozens of Jewelers in St. Thomas, mainly in downtown Charlotte Amalie, near both ports around the Winward Passage.

Avoid the chains (DI!) & do your homework at your local jewelers. Make sure you know the ballpark price for what you want & get the GIA classification for the diamond you are considering

There are stores like Cardow, Bobby's, & Imperial that have been around for a very long time & where the island residents shop.

You might also consider pieces unique to the island, such as the Island collection at Cardow or a creation from the Pearl Lady.

Thanks!!! This is great information.

Thanks!!! This is great information.

I have a relative in the biz stateside & I lived in the VI's for several years.

You may save some money because of the increased duty exemption & the lack of a sales tax. Do not believe the tales you hear about how something someone bought was appraised for thousands more or how the stones are graded very high on another than the GIA scale. The settings, chains etc. may not be well crafted & break.

Know how to look for quality & buy something you like at a reasonable price. The old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" applies double when you're shopping for gems:)

I'd wait til St Maarten. We've shopped the two ports for years, and feel St Maarten, over all, has better values. As others have said, do your homework and know what you are buying, and try to compare prices of similar items to back home.

Everyone will have their favorite shops and we are no different. We've shopped at Dazzlings Gems on Front St for many years and have always been more than satisfied with the quality of their merchandise as well as very fair prices.

Danny is the owner who used to work for Diamonds International until he discovered how poorly they were treating their customers. So he quit and opened his own store. His store is very close to the Guavaberry Emporium at #10 Front st. I know this sounds like an advertisement, but we can't say enough good things about the store. Once you become his customer, I'd bet you'll become a repeat customer. Tell him Bill & Linda sent you.:D:D

Edited by satbeachbill

I'd wait til St Maarten. We've shopped the two ports for years, and feel St Maarten, over all, has better values. As others have said, do your homework and know what you are buying, and try to compare prices of similar items to back home.

Everyone will have their favorite shops and we are no different. We've shopped at Dazzlings Gems on Front St for many years and have always been more than satisfied with the quality of their merchandise as well as very fair prices.

Danny is the owner who used to work for Diamonds International until he discovered how poorly they were treating their customers. So he quit and opened his own store. His store is very close to the Guavaberry Emporium at #10 Front st. I know this sounds like an advertisement, but we can't say enough good things about the store. Once you become his customer, I'd bet you'll become a repeat customer. Tell him Bill & Linda sent you.:D:D

Thanks!!

• 2 months later...

I had great luck at GemsLand in SM on Front St. Bought a stunning 3 ct tw champagne diamond ring which I wear every day...and it appraised for much more than what I paid. I did negotiate well though to less than 30% of asking price on ring....picture does not do it justice... Very firey and high quality diamonds. My jeweler here in CT said I did very well!!

image.jpg.bd3f3c193daf6379dab40dd885e3406b.jpg

Edited by WineDown17
More info

Just be realistic in your expectations. Years ago you could get a great bargain. Nowadays, it's not as common as it once was. Buy something because you like it not because you think of it as an investment. In other words, don't expect to purchase low and have a high appraisal. I've seen prices higher in the Carib than in the states, which is saying a lot (for comparable jewelry.

Edited by hehny