Disembarking Question in Galveston

Finzo4

Im trying to book transportation for return... Not sure how easy getting off the ship is and going thru customs... we have an early flight so i bought the FTTF so we coulld get off somewhat early. Someone told me custom is horrible in Galveston but my thinking is.... if i'm off the ship somewhat early then customs wont be sooo bad... i need some input cuz now i'm worried about making flight.

It took quite awhile last time, I think it depends on who you get. The customs officer in our line took forever and asked us questions about our form. He was nice, but everyone was pretty frustrated at the time he took with each passenger.

We've been out of Galveston many times and hadn't had issues in the past.

Carnival is usually very accommodating to cruisers whom have early flights on disembarkment day. Notifying guest services upon arrival of your flight itenorary as well as notifying them by phone ahead of time will ease your mind. They will assist you in every way they can to make sure catch your flight

It all depends on when the ship docks and can be cleared for debarkation. On our last two Carnival Magic returns, we were able to leave the cabin by 7:30am, get off, go thru customs, and be in our car and on our way by 8:00am. It doesn't always happen like that, however.

I was on the Freedom, May 2015. We had FTTF also. We met in the main theater at 7:15 am and were walking down the ramp before 7:30. Customs was fast and we were in the shuttle bus heading to our vehicle by 7:40. We were out of the parking lot by 7:50. Extremely easy!

Last time I cruised I had an early flight and I was literally the first person off the boat, but Carnival shuttle didn't leave the port until after nine so I had to really worry about making it for my 1145 flight. This time I booked a flight that leaves at 1230 and I arranged transportation with island breeze shuttle so I don't have to wait for a large bus to fill up.

We live in Kansas and have a 12 hour drive after getting off the ship. A trick we learned in Galveston is to use a Porter. They are waiting as soon as you get off the ship. Even if you don't need much help with bags, they zoom past the lines and move you straight to the front. It doesn't always make those that have been waiting in line that happy, but to me it is worth the tip I pay the porter to get out quicker.

i booked a 1 oclock flight. There are 8 of us and we are NOT doing Carnivals transfer... to many people running into the airport at the same time .. i found a company who picks up at 930 for $200 or we can do a private for $250... I just want to get to the airport ontime... should I do the private or will the 930 be plenty of time?????

I think it's important to mention here that ships sailing into and out of Galveston frequently experience delays due to fog. On our cruise a few months ago, the ship was late arriving at port on our embarkation day, and it was late arriving on our final day too... both times due to heavy fog.

Keep that in mind when scheduling flights - there were a lot of people grumbling while waiting to debark on that final day, angry that they were going to miss their flights.

Celine

If I may jump in on this with regard to the Carnival transfers out of Galveston. Do they do one bus per airport, or are the passengers mixed in and the bus stops at both airports?

When I took the Carnival shuttle in Feb. the buses were specific for airport. Our only stop was IAH

Im trying to book transportation for return... Not sure how easy getting off the ship is and going thru customs... we have an early flight so i bought the FTTF so we coulld get off somewhat early. Someone told me custom is horrible in Galveston but my thinking is.... if i'm off the ship somewhat early then customs wont be sooo bad... i need some input cuz now i'm worried about making flight.

What airport and what time is the flight? And what transportation are you using?

Galveston is only slow with disembarking if there's multiple ships in port. Look for the port schedule on port of galvestons website. When there's just one ship it's super fast but if there's multiple ships they split the workers and it takes twice as long. Let CCL know you have an early flight and they will almost always rush you through to the front or a separate line so you can make your flight

We were FTTF last weekend in Galveston off the triumph. We met in the London dining room with the other priority passengers. They let the folks self deembarking off first. We checked our bags so we had to wait a bit longer (prob for bags to make it off the ship).

Once we had our bags, we grabbed a porter who took us directly to the front of the line to a waiting customs agent. Definitely worth the tip.

Easy peasy lemon squeezey

Our flight is at 1 at IAH (Bush) and I think were gonna use Galveston Limo... it $200 for reg transfers and $250 for Private transfers... there is 8 in our group

I would love to have private transportation and not have to wait for anyone but the best I could do was to share a small shuttle because there's only two of us and it would be cost-prohibitive to have the ride all to ourselves. It would have cost us $140 round trip to use Carnival transportation and it will cost us $150 round trip to book the small shuttle.

Edited by Jana60

I think it's important to mention here that ships sailing into and out of Galveston frequently experience delays due to fog. On our cruise a few months ago, the ship was late arriving at port on our embarkation day, and it was late arriving on our final day too... both times due to heavy fog.

Keep that in mind when scheduling flights - there were a lot of people grumbling while waiting to debark on that final day, angry that they were going to miss their flights.

Celine

I TOTALLY agree with Celine and cannot emphasize enough how bad the fog can be in Galveston. It has effected my wife and I a few time in the past. One cruise we did not board until 10.00pm so I am sure every one of the passengers on board the previous cruise missed their flights.

what is self assist? Also do you have to let carnival take your luggage the night before or can you just take it off the next morning on your own?

If you are able to completely carry your own bags off the ship, including going down an escalator with one hand free, you can be on of the first off the boat. It's usually only a small amount of people who do this. On my last Magic cruise from Galveston I was in my car at 8:10am and driving away.

I can roll my bag off but not actually carry it... I'd prefer to keep my bags anyhow rather than looking for them in that warehouse with bags everywhere. I just thought you HAD to let them take bags.. I didnt realize it was an option. I just worried cuz i have a 1 oclock flight and worried about this FOG that I keep reading about. There are 8 of us in our group and to miss our flight would suck

Galveston is only slow with disembarking if there's multiple ships in port. When there's just one ship it's super fast but if there's multiple ships they split the workers and it takes twice as long.

This is bad information. The ILA Local has enough members that would rather work a cruise ship than any other vessel. The union orders enough "hands" for each terminal. There is an abundant amount of porters at every sailing, even holidays.

Galveston averages 11 sailings a year hampered by fog, and that's with three ships cruising from here. It's not an epidemic, it's miserable when your cruise is delayed, but not a year-round problem.

Edited by BallFour4