Is Venice (VCE) airport really that bad?

TNCruzer56

My mom was born outside of Venice, so I have been flying in and out of this airport for years when going to visit family. This airport is relatively small and yes lines are very long. In my opinion, it has only been made worse over the years by the huge influx of cruisers on mornings when ships dock and everyone rushes to the airport.

The other tricky thing in Italy is very often airlines check you in by the flight. What I mean by that is you cannot always walk up to Delta three hours before your flight and they will check you in. If there are flights that leave before yours that need to be checked in and boarded, you will need to wait until the check in booths actually display your flight number.

Two and a half hours should be fine. Even if you are waiting for what seems forever to check in, once it gets closer to your flight time you will be prioritized.

All I can say is bring your patience and be ready for the lack of lines and personal space.

ETA: If your flight leaves that early in the morning, please be aware they may not even check people in until 6am or so. I have had this happen in both Rome and Milan as well.

Edited by Morgan98

My mom was born outside of Venice, so I have been flying in and out of this airport for years when going to visit family. This airport is relatively small and yes lines are very long. In my opinion, it has only been made worse over the years by the huge influx of cruisers on mornings when ships dock and everyone rushes to the airport.

The other tricky thing in Italy is very often airlines check you in by the flight. What I mean by that is you cannot always walk up to Delta three hours before your flight and they will check you in. If there are flights that leave before yours that need to be checked in and boarded, you will need to wait until the check in booths actually display your flight number.

Two and a half hours should be fine. Even if you are waiting for what seems forever to check in, once it gets closer to your flight time you will be prioritized.

All I can say is bring your patience and be ready for the lack of lines and personal space.

ETA: If your flight leaves that early in the morning, please be aware they may not even check people in until 6am or so. I have had this happen in both Rome and Milan as well.

Thank you very much-One more:

-

Does it help any to have preprinted boarding passes and if lucky enough, have their version of TSA pre check (my wife got it in Paris, last year)

Edited by RadicalRic

Based on my last 2 flights out of Marco Polo (noon and 4pm) I always suggest arriving 2 1/2 - 3 hrs prior to departure. It's pretty chaotic.

Nothing opens in the airport until 5am, so no point in arriving any earlier. Check with your airline to see what time their counter opens at Marco Polo. Maybe it's not until 6 ......

I`ve asked a few other folks. If we port at the major pier at 9AM, is making a 11:30 flight totally unrealistic, if we have carry ons and a preprinted pass on our phone and a taxi waiting?

BTW-Thanks to all. I`ve traveled all around this great big world and never read so much bad as I have about Marco Polo

I`ve asked a few other folks. If we port at the major pier at 9AM, is making a 11:30 flight totally unrealistic, if we have carry ons and a preprinted pass on our phone and a taxi waiting?

BTW-Thanks to all. I`ve traveled all around this great big world and never read so much bad as I have about Marco Polo

Yes, totally unrealistic. You'd need at least 2.5 hrs once you get to the airport and you're not even allowing yourself that.

I'm not saying it's not doable, only that too many things could go wrong...ship docks late, lines getting off ship, lines at airport, etc...

In any case, it's still way too close for comfort, at least for me.

Edited by cadburysmom

I hope you don't mind the small diversion of your thread, but I'm flying into Venice and wondered what that experience is like. I've read on Flyer Talk that it's not that bad, as it's a fairly small airport, except perhaps that it takes a long time to get your luggage. We're coming from the U.S. and connecting in Frankfurt, so I'm assuming any passport formalities will be done in Frankfurt and we'll be free to leave once we pick up our luggage. Is that true? Can you hazard a guess as to how long it will be to get off the plane, get our luggage, and get out to the ATVO bus? We come in on a Friday around 2 PM. Thanks.

The ship isn't docking until 9am ???

If you are off the ship 5 minutes after it docks, yes, you'll probably make the flight.

We had a noon flight on Delta to JFK. We arrived to Marco Polo at 9:35am then got into the horrendous lines. By the time we got to the gate we only had about 15 minutes to spare, just long enough for a gelatto.

Before I say totally unrealistic, a question: Is your flight going nonstop from VCE to the US? If yes, totally unrealistic to think you'd make that flight. If your flight stops somewhere in the Schengen community and you make a connection to continue to the US, it MAY be OK. Intra-Schengen is like a US domestic flight - no passport control, only the security check. So, you'd only have one long line, not two…But, I still wouldn't chance it.

Before I say totally unrealistic, a question: Is your flight going nonstop from VCE to the US? If yes, totally unrealistic to think you'd make that flight. If your flight stops somewhere in the Schengen community and you make a connection to continue to the US, it MAY be OK. Intra-Schengen is like a US domestic flight - no passport control, only the security check. So, you'd only have one long line, not two…But, I still wouldn't chance it.

Yes US Air to Philly. Thanks to all the great advice, we`ve abandoned that and am taking the Iberia Air to Madrid at 7:40AM the next day (another day in Venice!)

Are you saying the counter may not even open until 6AM-Now I`m worried about that time frame...

Am I over thinking this?

Thanks all!!!