Sea sickness tablets on Australian Royal Caribbean sailing

Hi,

We are off to NZ with Royal in March 2017.

I can be a little prone to sea sickness and am usually fine when I take medication.

When we sailed in Hawaii I had Dramamine Non-Drowsy (Trade name) which is Meclizine (known as Bonine is US as well) and we had some big swells but I was fine. Australia doesn't have this medication :rolleyes: I don't find the stuff here as great, and find it leaves me with more side effects like dry mouth etc.

I was reading on some other threads that Royal supply Meclizine on board - does anyone know if that is true for Australian sailings as it isn't a drug we use here, or do they have to use Australian approved drugs?

I would be so happy to be able to get it on the ship.... otherwise try to find a way to legally import it.

Thanks

Hi,

We are off to NZ with Royal in March 2017.

I can be a little prone to sea sickness and am usually fine when I take medication.

When we sailed in Hawaii I had Dramamine Non-Drowsy (Trade name) which is Meclizine (known as Bonine is US as well) and we had some big swells but I was fine. Australia doesn't have this medication :rolleyes: I don't find the stuff here as great, and find it leaves me with more side effects like dry mouth etc.

I was reading on some other threads that Royal supply Meclizine on board - does anyone know if that is true for Australian sailings as it isn't a drug we use here, or do they have to use Australian approved drugs?

I would be so happy to be able to get it on the ship.... otherwise try to find a way to legally import it.

Thanks

You can buy them on board Royal Caribbean ships in Australia. They come in a blue box of 8 for about $US8.50. You will (generally) find them in the shop where they sell chocolates, chips and toiletries. They are the best.

Cheers

Di

My wife suffers from sea sickness at times. I have been on 3 different RCL ships in different part of the world (USA, Europe/Asia and Australia) and have always been given a few 24 hr sea sickness pills at guest services whenever I ask. Not sure what is in them but they are always the same and work for her.

Green apples, ginger tablets or Travacalm are great if you are feeling a bit squeamish. The tablets they give you at the desk may help you in moderate seas (3 to 5 metres) they will not be of any help in rough seas. Call me a cynic but I can only assume they give you these complimentary tablets so that the inexperienced cruisers will have to pay the $100 for the injection. For over 5m and having cruised in 15m seas on numerous occasions - give me Bonine anytime. Avomine is also excellent but causes drowsiness that Bonine doesn't. Avomine can be bought in chemists here in Australia, Bonine can only be bought on the U.S. Ships or eBay.

There is nothing worse than seasickness - deal with it before it has any chance of ruining your cruise.

Cheers

Di

Edited by Dizziedi

We went on our first cruise Jan/Feb to NZ and the decks were closed for 6 of the 14 days, so it was very rough, up to 13 mt waves, our doctor prescribed Stemetil which we took the day before we sailed, sailed into Force 7 then Force 8 2nd day, we were 7 cabins from the front of the ship and had no problems. The captain announced when to take sea sick pills. Had a great cruise despite the weather and missed ports.

The tablets they give out for free are Meclizine. I buy mine on eBay. Really easy to do if you have an eBay account. I buy a bottle of 100 tablets for about $10.00, so really cheap. I get the 25mg tablets. They are the best thing I have used for sea sickness.

I always buy mine on ebay. Totally legal. I used to get bonine but now I buy the generic brand. A lot cheaper. Just type in "Bonine" or "Meclizine"

The tablets they give out for free are Meclizine. I buy mine on eBay. Really easy to do if you have an eBay account. I buy a bottle of 100 tablets for about $10.00, so really cheap. I get the 25mg tablets. They are the best thing I have used for sea sickness.

Hi,

Thanks - is there a particular supplier you use? I am a midwife and a little wary of using online suppliers, I have heard to many dodgy things and not actually being supplied the drug they say it is!

Thanks everyone for your great replies and ideas. I did find the meclizine the best out of everything I have tried.

I just don't want to feel sick! So far so good! But better to be prepared! I will have Stemetil, Maxalon and Ondanzatron with me :)

We went on our first cruise Jan/Feb to NZ and the decks were closed for 6 of the 14 days, so it was very rough, up to 13 mt waves, our doctor prescribed Stemetil which we took the day before we sailed, sailed into Force 7 then Force 8 2nd day, we were 7 cabins from the front of the ship and had no problems. The captain announced when to take sea sick pills. Had a great cruise despite the weather and missed ports.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!! I think I would have curled up in a corner and died right there... we had big swells in Hawaii but no closed decks!:eek:

Hi,

Thanks - is there a particular supplier you use? I am a midwife and a little wary of using online suppliers, I have heard to many dodgy things and not actually being supplied the drug they say it is!

If you do an ebay search on meclizine.The brand I bought was Rugby brand.The supplier was Hargraves Pharmaceuticals.No problems whatsoever with them.I have used a few times for various things.Just make sure you get the 25mg.

If you do an ebay search on meclizine.The brand I bought was Rugby brand.The supplier was Hargraves Pharmaceuticals.No problems whatsoever with them.I have used a few times for various things.Just make sure you get the 25mg.

That's exactly who I used to. It's a white bottle with an orange, brown and white label on it. They are about $10 with free postage.

That's exactly who I used to. It's a white bottle with an orange, brown and white label on it. They are about $10 with free postage.

Great!!! Thanks again!