Barcelona to Madrid post-cruise

Bruin Steve

We disembark the Constellation July 14, 2016...and fly out of Madrid July 20...

The current plan is to catch a train shortly after disembarking and spending the entire time in Madrid...but using a couple of those days to take day tours to Toledo and to Avila/Segovia...

From my understanding, it makes the most senst to make the trip on a high-speed train...which takes about 2:45 to make the trip...and no hassles with airports or getting to/from airports...

I guess the first question is whether this makes sense or if there is some other way to do this?

Assuming this is a good plan...

First class train seats or second class?

Train time: 11:00 am reasonable...or should we aim for a later train?

Buying tickets: They are not available yet for our date frm what I can tell. When should we purchase? And how? What about pricing/discounts?

I take it the trains leave from Sants...so, best to do a taxi from the port to the station?

Any other advice? Thanks...

Depending how much baggage you might have, a taxi from the port to Sants Train station might be best. As they charge both a port and train station fee, this should be around 22 to 25 after 8 am on a weekday. It will take around15 minutes by taxi. Wait time at port can be up to

At Sants station for the high speed trains you will have security and all baggage is scanned.

I actually usually fly, but I travel lightly. I normally use the 5.90 Aerobus to the airport and then the 30 euro anywhere in the city from airport taxi in Madrid. The reason for this is I often buy plane tickets for under 50 euro and the train can cost much more.

If buying in advance and tickets are available why not take the preferente seats. It is not Business class like you can get on some Italian trains, but the best thing is it is easier to store your bags. While they do run real promotions at times there is no way to know when the promos are coming. I usually book at the preferente + level as they allow changes and cancelation with fee. Many prices are non*refundable.

As they sometimes just keep selling tickets and add additional trains the walk to your seat can sometimes take much more time than many expect.

Tickets are now starting to appear just under 6 months in advance. I tend to book just a week or two prior unless there is a really super deal.

We traveled Madrid to Barcelona on the AVE- TGV high speed train August 7. I searched for tickets on the Renfe Website (Spanish) 6 weeks before and found discounted tickets for 57.60 euros per person.

On a previous trip we flew from Barcelona to Sevilla on Vueling for under $100 per person.

We travel light (small carry-on per person for 2 weeks), and take buses and metros to airports or train stations.

Edited by helencw

I'm doing MAD-BCN in October. We are taking the RENFE Preferente class for $120 pp. We could have gotten it cheaper, but booked Promo+ instead of Promo, which wouldn't have allowed lounge access. I used petrabax dot com, which may be a little more expensive than the RENFE website, but is in English and allows you to pay in USD.

I presented my printed ticket at the AVE luggage screening, and they told me they don't accept printouts that have been cut. I had trimmed them like an air boarding pass, but they want the full sheet. They told me to go to the machine kiosks, type in the confirmation number, and have the tickets reprinted. This was easy to do.

These machines have an option for English and you could buy tickets. I did not find long lines at the machines.