80 years old is the Splendor for us?

granni10

My husband and I love to meet people. We enjoy all types of entertainment and comedy. We hear that Kevin Donahugh is a very good cruise director. Is the Splendor a good ship for us?By the way we are celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary, Thanks for any input you can give us.

3 of us went on the Splendor to celebrate a birthday. A 75th birthday. We had a blast. We bought in to the Cloud 9 Spa & thoroughly enjoyed that. We had funny comics. The food and service was on target, not too low brow nor highbrow. It was fun not having to dress up, and instead just be comfortable. We were on through the Mexican Riviera and the ports were great. We even went ziplining!

We did plenty and had a ton of relaxing time on our balcony too, which I DO recommend. It's nice to read or daydream on.

So I think YES the Splendor is a good choice!

My husband and I love to meet people. We enjoy all types of entertainment and comedy. We hear that Kevin Donahugh is a very good cruise director. Is the Splendor a good ship for us?By the way we are celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary, Thanks for any input you can give us.

Granni10 get up grab the paper and if you don't see your name's in the obituary then it's a good time to cruise. Congrats on the 60th have a great time.

If I had my choice and budget wasn't an option I wouldn't be doing the Splendor or any Carnival ship at 80 unless I was traveling with younger family members. I'd be looking at a much smaller cruise line with more sedentary activities and ones where the cruise line really caters to a full package. Carnival is much more family oriented, more activity oriented, more laid back and not so much about ambiance and old-fashioned service. Azamara Club Cruises would be my personal pick even though I love traveling on Carnival with the younger element of our family.

Did you just seriously suggest "sedentary"? My second Carnival cruise we met a 90 year old woman who was traveling with her 93 year old boyfriend.

Carnival is for all ages. It really is what you make it. Not every 80, 90 or 93 year old requires " sedentary"!

Go on that cruise and enjoy yourself. My next 8 Carnival cruises will all be on The Splendor.

Did you just seriously suggest "sedentary"? My second Carnival cruise we met a 90 year old woman who was traveling with her 93 year old boyfriend.

Carnival is for all ages. It really is what you make it. Not every 80, 90 or 93 year old requires " sedentary"!

Go on that cruise and enjoy yourself. My next 8 Carnival cruises will all be on The Splendor.

Yes...sedentary. Unless someone is pretty unusual the activities geared to a 20 year old aren't as much fun for someone a "few" years older. At my advanced age I either spend the time watching all the young ones (though I did zip line at 65) but I leave the scuba diving, snorkling, wave runners, water slides, basketball to those who aren't quite as worried about bad knees, a dicey back, or lifting your own weight into a speed boat.

Smaller, more intimate cruiselines gear their excursions to activities appreciated by an older crowd...wine tasting, sight seeing, quiet beaches, good food. They also pamper a passenger, something appreciated by us of advancing years. Also most cabins have (at least) windows, buffets are a combination of serve yourself and having someone set your place, getting your drinks. Entertainment is geared to more mature (not old) passengers, music is much easier on the ears, and there are no lines or crowded hallways.

I love Carnival, but for such a special occasion such as a 60th I think the environment would be much, much nicer on another cruise line.

Like button! I hope this poster isn't serious about sedentary seniors.

Oh my gosh....of course not all seniors are sedentary, after-all AARP says you are a senior at 50. But, realistically the "average" 80 year old isn't running the Boston Marathon or swimming the Channel. In fact based on the Carnival cruises I've been on the great majority have moved onto scooters while cruising....Never have I seen so many scooters as when you sail to Hawaii.

Maybe I should use the word cerebral...no maybe not. What word would you use to describe non-physical activities?

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

On Splendor, you may like the New England/Canada itinerary that is offered in September and October. It is a slower paced cruise with more adults. The ports are Boston, Portland Maine and Saint John and Halifax in Canada. All 4 ports are great sea side destinations with a lot to do.

Also Splendor offers miniature golf and a large outside screen that shows evening movies.

If the weather is rainy or cool, then they will cover the deck area with a moving roof so you can still enjoy the Lido deck food and pool area.

Enjoy.

I agree age is a number. I work with a lot of seniors seen many who were old at 60 and a lot who were constantly on the go at around 90. I would never assume that someone is too old. My Dad was active and enjoying life until he passed in his sleep at 97 and he had plans to go fishing that morning.

Congratulations on your 60th anniversary!

If you are the type to want to be up in front of others, make sure the cruise director knows its your anniversary and you want to be part of the fun- it is likely you could get selected to be part of the "Newlywed Game" (whatever they call it...)

As for the ship- Carnival is a budget line, but it is very fun. People of all ages cruise on CCL and have a great time. We find Carnival's food and entertainment to be decent to good, and they take us to the same ports that the more expensive lines go to- which is our main reason to cruise.

I do agree with those who say that it is a bit more "family friendly" and skews younger. I greatly enjoyed my cruise on Celebrity and meeting the people who were on it- the average age on the Xpedition (which is not really a typical Celebrity cruise) was 60-80. There were only 4 passengers (out of 100) under 50. This was no sedentary cruise, just a different audience. Depending on what is important to you (dining, for instance), you may want to look at Celebrity.

Oh my gosh....of course not all seniors are sedentary, after-all AARP says you are a senior at 50. But, realistically the "average" 80 year old isn't running the Boston Marathon or swimming the Channel. In fact based on the Carnival cruises I've been on the great majority have moved onto scooters while cruising....Never have I seen so many scooters as when you sail to Hawaii.

Maybe I should use the word cerebral...no maybe not. What word would you use to describe non-physical activities?

I don't think the average Carnival passenger is doing those things either...

I think more people go to ports to shop or lay on the beach than to do anything with a high amount of physical activity! And an active 80 year old can snorkel, zipline, or even scuba dive just fine.

I'm not sure what the "average" 80 year old does. I know I was recently shocked to find out one of my good friends from quilt guild was celebrating her 85th birthday. I wouldn't have even guessed she was over 70!

I think you will be just fine. What I love the most about cruising is, you can do as much or as little as you want. Carnival has fantastic activities that cater to a variety of ages. Have fun on the Splendor it's a very nice ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk