Denali

4774Papa

We are planning to DIY after our cruise ends at Seward. Probably renting a care and driving to Denali.

Once we arrive at our hotel (probably near the entrance to the park), is it easy to arrange for tours or activities at the park?

For example, if we take the Tundra Wilderness Tour do you have to drive to meet the tour.

What other activities are recommended?

Instead of the Tundra Wilderness Tour, I'd recommend using the shuttle bus system at Denali. Same buses, same road, just a lot cheaper. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

There's lodging near the park entrance in what is know as Glitter Gulch. But if you stay a few miles further north in the town of Healy you'll find much more affordable lodging. You can see a good list here: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Instead of the Tundra Wilderness Tour, I'd recommend using the shuttle bus system at Denali. Same buses, same road, just a lot cheaper. http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

There's lodging near the park entrance in what is know as Glitter Gulch. But if you stay a few miles further north in the town of Healy you'll find much more affordable lodging. You can see a good list here: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Thanks,

Do you pick up the shuttle at the Park entrance?

Thanks,

Do you pick up the shuttle at the Park entrance?

Shuttles are picked up at the Wilderness Access Center. You need to take a look at the website and read it over. Has ALL your information. http://www.nps.gov/dena

Not sure why you are considering in the Tundra Wilderness tour either? Are you OK with going a shorter distance and paying triple the cost?

You are FAR better off with a car rental, which opens up a ton more ease in accessibility. Plenty of tours. Again, easy to find with web searches. Cheaper and quieter lodging is also available in Healy, where plenty of people enjoy staying. http://www.denalichamber.com/

Edited by Budget Queen

It is easy to drive your rental car to the Wilderness Access Center in the park and there is plenty of parking. You can access all activities in the park from the WAC. In addition to the TWT and shuttles into the park you can also take shuttles to see the visitor center and there is also a dog sledding demonstration. I would also recommend a reservation for a shuttle to go at least to Eilson visitor center rather than the TWT.

It is easy to drive your rental car to the Wilderness Access Center in the park and there is plenty of parking. You can access all activities in the park from the WAC. In addition to the TWT and shuttles into the park you can also take shuttles to see the visitor center and there is also a dog sledding demonstration. I would also recommend a reservation for a shuttle to go at least to Eilson visitor center rather than the TWT.

You have to make a reservation for the shuttle?

I wouldn't always rule out the TWT. Yes, it's more money but has a lot of convenience/extras. We had an awesome , knowledgeable local guide, got picked up and dropped off at our hotel, enjoyed the camera and screens to see animals you couldn't find with your naked eye and you're on same bus all day so you can leave your food and some belongings every time you get out.

Our driver also went far in to the park! Especially, for newcomers and only timers, it shouldn't be ruled out! Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't always rule out the TWT. Yes, it's more money but has a lot of convenience/extras. We had an awesome , knowledgeable local guide, got picked up and dropped off at our hotel, enjoyed the camera and screens to see animals you couldn't find with your naked eye and you're on same bus all day so you can leave your food and some belongings every time you get out.

Our driver also went far in to the park! Especially, for newcomers and only timers, it shouldn't be ruled out! Just my 2 cents.

This is never a "tour" I recommend for independent travelers. Sorry. Some of your reasons, aren't only for the tour buses. You do NOT have to leave any shuttle bus, you can "leave" anything in those seats as well, sorry, you SHOULD have your own binoculars, no matter how you go to Denali. As for your "far" comment, compared to getting to Eielson, this means little. The most seasoned and senior bus drivers, are on the shuttle buses. Newbies are frequently on the NHT's.

The point is to be informed on facts of both buses. It doesn't matter to me, what people choose. but,- over and over- I see "complaints" about costs, sometimes compromises needed for shore excursions. etc. I often see "skewed" reasons posted for reasons for taking the Denali Park tour buses, which aren't always accurate.

The information- is all here, with details, for perhaps, informed choices that will benefit visitors.

You have to make a reservation for the shuttle?

Absolutely, you also need reservations for tour buses as well.

If you want more flexibility- they do release seats 2 days in advance at 7am, for later booking. But, always in season- when I am there, there is a whole board of sold out buses for that day. Can be tough to get walk up tickets.

Edited by Budget Queen

Absolutely, you also need reservations for tour buses as well.

If you want more flexibility- they do release seats 2 days in advance at 7am, for later booking. But, always in season- when I am there, there is a whole board of sold out buses for that day. Can be tough to get walk up tickets.

We will be there on 13-14 September, so perhaps it won't be as crowded.

This is never a "tour" I recommend for independent travelers. Sorry. Some of your reasons, aren't only for the tour buses. You do NOT have to leave any shuttle bus, you can "leave" anything in those seats as well, sorry, you SHOULD have your own binoculars, no matter how you go to Denali. As for your "far" comment, compared to getting to Eielson, this means little. The most seasoned and senior bus drivers, are on the shuttle buses. Newbies are frequently on the NHT's.

The point is to be informed on facts of both buses. It doesn't matter to me, what people choose. but,- over and over- I see "complaints" about costs, sometimes compromises needed for shore excursions. etc. I often see "skewed" reasons posted for reasons for taking the Denali Park tour buses, which aren't always accurate.

The information- is all here, with details, for perhaps, informed choices that will benefit visitors.

I don't have any binoculars and would prefer not to buy any. Perhaps taking the TWT is worth going on, especially since I can book it ahead of time and not worry about getting frozen out of the shuttle.

Years ago I took others advice and took the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. I really recommend this rather than the shorter bus tours. Here's a pic I took of Mt. McKinley ImageUploadedByForums1440011691.542727.jpg.d8ada9daed22d879815defdc3eee38f9.jpg. Notice the road in comparison to Denali.

Edited by HLGW60

I don't have any binoculars and would prefer not to buy any. Perhaps taking the TWT is worth going on, especially since I can book it ahead of time and not worry about getting frozen out of the shuttle.

Oh dear -- I don't mean this to sound sarcastic, but coming to Alaska without a decent pair of binoculars is similar to going to Hawaii without sunblock! Even though we live in Alaska we've done several Alaska cruises and our binoculars spent more time around our necks than not.

Oh dear -- I don't mean this to sound sarcastic, but coming to Alaska without a decent pair of binoculars is similar to going to Hawaii without sunblock! Even though we live in Alaska we've done several Alaska cruises and our binoculars spent more time around our necks than not.

Having been to the Hawaiian islands 5 times.....you need binoculars there too as well as sunblock. We saw the sunrise at Haleakala National Park and also needed them on the Big Island at Volcanoes National Park. Also....you need them during whale watching season. As for Denali...... I recall the driver telling us when he sighted wolves, bears, and other wildlife on our shuttle bus ride to Wonder Lake ( I think there is one more stop after that but we got off at Wonder Lake). You definitely need the binoculars in most cases unless you have a bear walking towards you on the road like we did:eek:

You can book the shuttle bus to Eilson the same way you book the TWT so you don't have to worry about being "frozen out" of the shuttle bus. You will use the binoculars other places besides Denali for example looking for eagles, whales, dall sheep, moose as you travel through Alaska. The TWT is much more expensive and you could use the difference in price to go toward purchasing binoculars. I find it difficult to see the screens on the video system on the TWT and I end up taking my own food because the lunch they provide you with is more of a snack. I also find the bus driver on the shuttle bus to be just as informative as the tour guides on the TWT.

There is another shuttle bus system that is seperate from the shuttle buses that go into Denali. The other system has shuttles that make stops in the front section of the park including the WAC, the Visitor Center and the dog sled demonstration. You do not need reservations for this shuttle system for the front area of the park. But you do need reservations for the TWT and the shuttle buses that take you further onto the park. I would not want to make the trip all the way to Denali and just take a chance they would have an opening on a shuttle into the park.

You can book the shuttle bus to Eilson the same way you book the TWT so you don't have to worry about being "frozen out" of the shuttle bus. You will use the binoculars other places besides Denali for example looking for eagles, whales, dall sheep, moose as you travel through Alaska. The TWT is much more expensive and you could use the difference in price to go toward purchasing binoculars. I find it difficult to see the screens on the video system on the TWT and I end up taking my own food because the lunch they provide you with is more of a snack. I also find the bus driver on the shuttle bus to be just as informative as the tour guides on the TWT.

There is another shuttle bus system that is seperate from the shuttle buses that go into Denali. The other system has shuttles that make stops in the front section of the park including the WAC, the Visitor Center and the dog sled demonstration. You do not need reservations for this shuttle system for the front area of the park. But you do need reservations for the TWT and the shuttle buses that take you further onto the park. I would not want to make the trip all the way to Denali and just take a chance they would have an opening on a shuttle into the park.

Good info. Here's a link to make your shuttle reservations if it works here on CC. http://www.reservedenali.com

You are ok looking at a little tv? What if you don't get the seats near the monitor?

See if you can borrow a pair of binoculars. They are used all over Alaska. Mine are around my neck- ALL the time. Yes, during meals, and my status repeater parties. :) (get a lot of looks at the Princess "formal" parties- like I care :) :) )

Have no clue what your "frozen out", means? There actually are more open seats on a shuttle bus compared to sold out= all seats taken on tour buses.

You seem to be in line to take a tour bus, maybe the right choice for you, but your assumptions aren't all accurate. I suggest you get all the factual information you need, if open to to alternatives.

Edited by Budget Queen

Good info. Here's a link to make your shuttle reservations if it works here on CC. http://www.reservedenali.com

Thanks,

I see that there are options in selecting a shuttle.

Kantishna goes all the way to the end and Toklat seems to go 53 miles. Any suggestions on which? We won't be camping.

You are ok looking at a little tv? What if you don't get the seats near the monitor?

See if you can borrow a pair of binoculars. They are used all over Alaska. Mine are around my neck- ALL the time. Yes, during meals, and my status repeater parties. :) (get a lot of looks at the Princess "formal" parties- like I care :) :) )

Have no clue what your "frozen out", means? There actually are more open seats on a shuttle bus compared to sold out= all seats taken on tour buses.

You seem to be in line to take a tour bus, maybe the right choice for you, but your assumptions aren't all accurate. I suggest you get all the factual information you need, if open to to alternatives.

Actually, I was convinced by you and others to take the shuttle. Then I find out that the shuttle can be sold out.

Now it appears that there are options regarding which shuttle.

Thanks,

I see that there are options in selecting a shuttle.

Kantishna goes all the way to the end and Toklat seems to go 53 miles. Any suggestions on which? We won't be camping.

I won't have first-hand experience until next week, but the recommendation I received was that it's best to book the Wonder Lake shuttle... From what I've read, most of the wildlife is seen before Eielson, but the great views continue after. So, once you're in the park, if it's cloudy and you can't see the mountain (or if you just get tired of being on a bus), you can get off at Eielson and take another shuttle back. Otherwise, continue on to Wonder Lake as scheduled.

The nice part about the shuttles is that you can get off and hike around on a whim, wherever you want, and you can spend as much (or as little) time as you want in the park. With the tours you're stuck on the same bus all day.

There's a book by Ike Waits about Denali that includes hikes and all kinds of detailed information. I highly recommend it. It was very useful when I was planning my trip.

I won't have first-hand experience until next week, but the recommendation I received was that it's best to book the Wonder Lake shuttle... From what I've read, most of the wildlife is seen before Eielson, but the great views continue after. So, once you're in the park, if it's cloudy and you can't see the mountain (or if you just get tired of being on a bus), you can get off at Eielson and take another shuttle back. Otherwise, continue on to Wonder Lake as scheduled.

The nice part about the shuttles is that you can get off and hike around on a whim, wherever you want, and you can spend as much (or as little) time as you want in the park. With the tours you're stuck on the same bus all day.

There's a book by Ike Waits about Denali that includes hikes and all kinds of detailed information. I highly recommend it. It was very useful when I was planning my trip.

Thanks

I always suggest, going to at least Eielson. Take a look at the guided hike, if of interest, then time your shuttle perhaps?

A significant benefit with Eielson, as it is a Building, flush toilets and running water. :) You'll get the idea after using the chemical toilets. ;)

If McKinley is viewable- there is a dispatcher at Eielson, where you can buy upgraded shuttle bus tickets to Wonder Lake - Kantishna is mostly all private property.

If you don't already have Wonder Lake tickets- you may have an extended wait at Eielson - not a "bad" thing. :) With it imperative- you get right to the dispatcher, as soon as you exit your Eielson bus, if you want a Wonder Lake ticket and McKinley is viewable (a lot of other people will also want the limited seats)

Budget Queen, et al, I was not and would not recommend NHT. I was talking about TWT. Our guide was local, awesome, doing this route for years and took us far in to the park, thinking mile 60 ish.

She stopped the bus to zoom and show on "little" tv. And, the all the tv's were quite visible like on the airlines. There were sometimes you just couldn't spot on your own, even in your binoculars.

I'm not saying the Shuttle isn't better for some of you. I'm just saying a lot of people, in my humble opinion, don't give the TWT a fair shake. I liked being picked up at hotel, being with others in our group... Some other people, as did everyone else on my bus, might actual thoroughly enjoy the TWT.

I have heard that some shuttle drivers talk/narrate some don't. We still brought food so I did not mention that as a plus.