Anyone been through this? Cancelling 1 month out

That wouldn't have even been a decision for me. The points aren't worth that much and, in this case, the person wasn't planning on getting them anyway so no loss. Plus, they get a full refund from the insurance (likely). I think the no-show idea works the best and OP should just enjoy their that-much-bigger room.

You always meet a lot of people on cruises. Attend trivia games, or bingo or join people at another table for dinner. The best thing about cruising is you are never really alone even when you're traveling single (unless you want to be of course).

Tom

I'm not sure what would happen in this case. A friend of mine found that the second guest in his stateroom could not go on the cruise, and Royal wanted to reprice the booking at current rates, which were much higher than when they had booked. He had the option of just letting the second person be a no-show, but in that case he would not get the double points for being a single.

This story is a reverse of what has been discussed.

I tend to travel alone. I had booked and paid for a suite at double the "per passenger" price. My daughter expressed an interest in coming along so I thought in my innocence that I wouldn't have to pay any extra. How wrong I was! RCCL insisted on cancelling my paid for booking and repricing for two passengers at the current price. This was even though there were no cabins available. It would have cost me in excess of an extra $2000!

:(

I tend to travel alone. I had booked and paid for a suite at double the "per passenger" price. My daughter expressed an interest in coming along so I thought in my innocence that I wouldn't have to pay any extra. How wrong I was! RCCL insisted on cancelling my paid for booking and repricing for two passengers at the current price. This was even though there were no cabins available. It would have cost me in excess of an extra $2000!

I don't understand why they would need to cancel the entire booking. I can see that they would want to add your daughter at current pricing, but I don't get why they would have to mess with your price.

That's crazy!! You'd think they would WANT the extra passenger because she would spend other money besides the fare you already paid for-- doesn't sound like good business to me.

That wouldn't have even been a decision for me. The points aren't worth that much and, in this case, the person wasn't planning on getting them anyway so no loss. Plus, they get a full refund from the insurance (likely). I think the no-show idea works the best and OP should just enjoy their that-much-bigger room.

You always meet a lot of people on cruises. Attend trivia games, or bingo or join people at another table for dinner. The best thing about cruising is you are never really alone even when you're traveling single (unless you want to be of course).

Tom

You can't no show and collect insurance