HAL Westerdam vs NCL Pearl for Alaska

fourcruisin

I am trying to book a cruise to Alaska for August 2016. We are 2 adults, mid 50's and this will be our 8th cruise. Never been on NCL or HAL. I have a cruise on the Westerdam on courtesy hold until later today. I booked a Signature Suite. The itineraries are basically the same.

We've cruised Disney (loved it but too expensive) and Carnival. Carnival seemed to have gone downhill in my estimation over the last few cruises. We are not drinkers or party people so we like more "quiet" activities.

Our requests are nice cabin, decent food (not gourmet, just good), quality service and laid back atmosphere.

Can anyone give me tips on which cruise line would be better for us? I'm trying to compare but it gets difficult and there is so much info out there.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

I am trying to book a cruise to Alaska for August 2016. We are 2 adults, mid 50's and this will be our 8th cruise. Never been on NCL or HAL. I have a cruise on the Westerdam on courtesy hold until later today. I booked a Signature Suite. The itineraries are basically the same.

We've cruised Disney (loved it but too expensive) and Carnival. Carnival seemed to have gone downhill in my estimation over the last few cruises. We are not drinkers or party people so we like more "quiet" activities.

Our requests are nice cabin, decent food (not gourmet, just good), quality service and laid back atmosphere.

Can anyone give me tips on which cruise line would be better for us? I'm trying to compare but it gets difficult and there is so much info out there.

How exciting! We are heading in our first Alaskan cruise next week on the Westerdam. I will try to give you a first hand report when I return. I will say this, we have cruised, Disney and we also loved it but found it just too expensive. I think an inside was the same price as our signature suite on HAL. We are also in our 50's and we absolutely loved our first HAL cruise. I think that Disney and HAL are very similar... Both have that traditional ocean liner feel. I would describe HAL as a more refined experience. It is definitely more quiet, and the entertainment was geared more towards adults... But certainly not boring. There was always something to do. The specialty restaurants are more affordable which for us means more doable! Though, our dining experience was fantastic on HAL... We really didn't feel the need to dine in specialty restaurants. Oh and the bathrooms are similar... Not split, but HAL has both a tub and shower which is nice.

Hopefully, I will be back in a couple of weeks with more information!

Thanks bjarrett7. Looking forward to hearing about your cruise. I guess any cruise is a good cruise lol but I really want this to be something special for dh and myself. My sister just got off the NCL Pearl last week and they enjoyed it but the ship had it's ups and downs. The cabin on HAL looks a bit bigger and nicer.

Our last cruise was 15 days to Hawaii on Carnival and I was disappointed in the food, service and overall cleanliness of the ship. We aren't high maintenance at all but just felt that CCL wasn't as good as it could be.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise to Alaska and I will be waiting to read your trip report!!

Based on what you describe as your desires for this cruise, I think you will very much like the Westerdam. We have sailed her twice and she is a very nice ship. HAL is somewhat laid back, which we happen to like. We are both in our early 60's and the overall mix of passengers suits us very well. BTW food is very good on HAL and the Specialty restaurants are great! Hope you have a great cruise regardless of which line you decide upon.:)

Thanks Krazy Kruizers and Cruzin.

I've had a few minutes this morning to look at the deck plans on HAL and I think I'm going to put the deposit on the trip. So excited! I'm booking cabin 6117 which is on the "curve" of the ship. DH gets motion sick so we usually go for a mid ship cabin but this one doesn't really look too far aft that it will make a difference. And from what I've read, it's a bit larger than other SS due to the configuration.

The only downside to HAL vs NCL is that smoking is allowed on balconies but I figure if we get a smoker on either side of us and it bothers me, I'll just go up on deck more rather than use our balcony. There are always ways to get around the negatives!

Now, on to the real planning. Looking forward to reading more info from everyone.

Edited by fourcruisin

I have booked suite SY8043 for next July to Alaska on the Westerdam. This is my first cruise ever and very excited to hear everyone's comments and suggestions.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Congrats Kathy. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. I just put the deposit on the August cruise. We are very excited.

I have booked suite SY8043 for next July to Alaska on the Westerdam. This is my first cruise ever and very excited to hear everyone's comments and suggestions.

Congrats Kathy. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. I just put the deposit on the August cruise. We are very excited.

I think you 2 are making the right choice. Having been on both HAL and NCL, I would have a very hard time booking NCL over HAL. The service and food is so much better on HAL, the ships are less crowded, and the rooms are so much more comfortable.

Hi, you would not be disappointed with either ship, I have done both to AK. Westerdam will be a little more laid back, and probably a few less kids. I like the Pearl more for the entertainment and dining options. But for me it usually comes down to itinerary, and I chose the Westerdam this summer to see Sitka, I prefer that over the stop in Skagway that the Pearl does. I enjoy both ships and both lines, but my cruise to AK next year will be on the Maasdam [for the 2 week itinerary!].

Thanks so much. Your responses are all making me feel better with my decision. I was concerned that Sitka may offer less than Skagway but even that doesn't seem true.

I'm sure that if we only saw Glacier Bay on the cruise, it would still be magnificent. I am so excited and can't stop reading everything I can find related to the Westerdam and the Alaska ports of call.

You are the best! Thanks for your help. Keep the info coming!

We are not drinkers or party people so we like more "quiet" activities.

I can't speak to how NCL would be.

I can say that the HAL Westerdam will offer what you say you are looking for.

I have sailed to Alaska 8 times, 7 of them on HAL---including twice last summer. It must have offered something for me to return on that line so many times.

I have sailed on the Westerdam, although not to Alaska. You will love your time there!

I can't speak to how NCL would be.

I can say that the HAL Westerdam will offer what you say you are looking for.

I have sailed to Alaska 8 times, 7 of them on HAL---including twice last summer. It must have offered something for me to return on that line so many times.

I have sailed on the Westerdam, although not to Alaska. You will love your time there!

7 cruises on HAL? They definitely are doing something right if you enjoy it that much.

We can't wait to see the beauty of Alaska!

Hello,

You can not go wrong with either ship. I have sailed the Westerdam once in a suite and the Pearl four or five times (maybe 6?) in balconies/mini-suite/suite. Based on what you described in this post as to your likes you can find the laid back atmosphere more on Holland. I have only been to Alaska once and it is one of the most memorable...you will find everything you want on either ship...it was the more laid back statement that made me answer HAL. But dont' let the responses fool ya...they have some great happy hours...!

coka

Thanks Krazy Kruizers and Cruzin.

I've had a few minutes this morning to look at the deck plans on HAL and I think I'm going to put the deposit on the trip. So excited! I'm booking cabin 6117 which is on the "curve" of the ship. DH gets motion sick so we usually go for a mid ship cabin but this one doesn't really look too far aft that it will make a difference. And from what I've read, it's a bit larger than other SS due to the configuration.

The only downside to HAL vs NCL is that smoking is allowed on balconies but I figure if we get a smoker on either side of us and it bothers me, I'll just go up on deck more rather than use our balcony. There are always ways to get around the negatives!

Now, on to the real planning. Looking forward to reading more info from everyone.

Fourcruisin,

I can't compare HAL vs NCL, as I have only sailed on HAL Westerdam (twice) and Oosterdam (once). And we will be back on the Westerdam this fall. What I CAN tell you is that we keep coming back to the HAL ships because (and I am quoting what they say on their recorded message when you call in) "We want to give you the experience of a lifetime every time." The staff all treat you like a combination of royalty and your best friend. The ship is beautifully decorated with artwork everywhere. The entertainment is classy. (OK it can get a little loud and rowdy at the piano bar sing alongs!) HAL gives me the same feeling I get in my favorite robe and slippers, curled up in my most comfortable chair. The ship oozes with class but isn't stuffy. (Sorry, I am rambling. :o SNAP back to reality.) And every time I have compared prices, HAL comes in at the lowest.

Bottom line, I think you made a wise decision. Please come back and let us know.

Mocha

Fourcruisin,

I can't compare HAL vs NCL, as I have only sailed on HAL Westerdam (twice) and Oosterdam (once). And we will be back on the Westerdam this fall. What I CAN tell you is that we keep coming back to the HAL ships because (and I am quoting what they say on their recorded message when you call in) "We want to give you the experience of a lifetime every time." The staff all treat you like a combination of royalty and your best friend. The ship is beautifully decorated with artwork everywhere. The entertainment is classy. (OK it can get a little loud and rowdy at the piano bar sing alongs!) HAL gives me the same feeling I get in my favorite robe and slippers, curled up in my most comfortable chair. The ship oozes with class but isn't stuffy. (Sorry, I am rambling. :o SNAP back to reality.) And every time I have compared prices, HAL comes in at the lowest.

Bottom line, I think you made a wise decision. Please come back and let us know.

Mocha

Thanks Mocha. Don't get me wrong, DH and I like to have fun and love the piano bar too. The most fun we had on one of the DCL cruises was spending time with the dueling piano guys. They were the best. We just like more of a relaxed atmosphere and it sounds like HAL offers that over some of the other choices we looked at. DH and I were looking at you tube last night to see some videos of the Westerdam. It looks lovely.

We don't find cruises a very relaxing vacation because we always feel we need to see a lot while in ports. For relaxing vacations, we always head to Sanibel. Now there's a place where you can totally zone out and not have to do a thing!

I am trying to book a cruise to Alaska for August 2016. We are 2 adults, mid 50's and this will be our 8th cruise. Never been on NCL or HAL. ...

I cannot tell you which cruise line would be better for you, but I can offer my opinion/suggestion ... There are many differences between NCL and HAL but IMHO only one significant difference between them - only HAL has a Roman Catholic priest (who celebrates daily Mass) on board every one of its cruises. So if you are Catholic (or not opposed to Catholicism) and spiritual renewal is an important component of your vacation experience, HAL would be my recommendation. Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy the cruise!

Edited by avian777