Splendor embarkation for 8/29 delayed

lakeariel

I just received an email from Carnival that embarkation will be delayed due to some routine maintenance. First time in a suite so I guess my priority boarding is a no go! I was told not to come to the terminal till at least 1:00. Not fair!

Arrive when you want, but don't be surprised if you have to wait a long time to board. And don't complain about it since you were warned.

Every time we have gotten one of those e-mails about maintenance, testing, full immigration check for the crew, deep cleaning after an outbreak etc. boarding has been delayed.

For saying to ignore it, there are two types of boarding emails - one that just gives you a suggested arrival/boarding time. Yes, ignoring those is probably OK.

Then there are the ones which give you a REASON to not show up early. Those, I would not ignore.

No point in arriving 2 hours early and just sitting. I'd rather do my waiting somewhere a little more comfortable (and you aren't even supposed to use your cell phone while in the terminal).

But, your choice. Just realize that if you ignore the email you may have a very long, boring wait to board.

Last year we sailed the Splendor south on the 8 day itin. We were delayed for something along this line (in boarding the ship) as well as some planning around a hurricane heading up the coast. We finally started boarded around 12:45. The boarding process itself when they marched priority to board the ship was the worst we have ever seen. People in the general area were frustrated (as were we all) and actually barged into the line, through the checkin and on the ship. The priority area is near the street side of the pier and the access to the ship is near the other end. I only bring this up as something to consider when going early and tempers flaring when things don't go quite so much as planned.

For saying to ignore it, there are two types of boarding emails - one that just gives you a suggested arrival/boarding time. Yes, ignoring those is probably OK.

Then there are the ones which give you a REASON to not show up early. Those, I would not ignore.

No point in arriving 2 hours early and just sitting. I'd rather do my waiting somewhere a little more comfortable (and you aren't even supposed to use your cell phone while in the terminal).

But, your choice. Just realize that if you ignore the email you may have a very long, boring wait to board.

Why can't you use electronics or your phone in the cruise terminal? I'm usually in the Platinum line and don't recall seeing any such restriction posted. I know that cell phones are not allowed to be used in the US Customs area, I often see people admonished for that infraction.

I know I've seen signs up (but, naturally, don't remember which ports or terminals). I figured it was a post-9/11 security thing.

Am I just mixing up my boarding with disembarkation? Or am I remembering Charleston where it's all in one building on one level, so the signs stay up all the time? :confused:

I know I've seen signs up (but, naturally, don't remember which ports or terminals). I figured it was a post-9/11 security thing.

Am I just mixing up my boarding with disembarkation? Or am I remembering Charleston where it's all in one building on one level, so the signs stay up all the time? :confused:

I think you are correct, I have been cautioned 3 separate times for suing a camera when embarking on a ship, one time multiple times the last of which I was threatened to have my camera confiscated.:eek: None of these have been lately though......

Why can't you use electronics or your phone in the cruise terminal? I'm usually in the Platinum line and don't recall seeing any such restriction posted. I know that cell phones are not allowed to be used in the US Customs area, I often see people admonished for that infraction.

You can use your cell phones in the cruise terminals EXCEPT: the security machines in the lobby and during debark...due to CUSTOMS.

Edited by foflocruiser

I called Carnival this evening regarding their emails. The Rep I spoke to gave me two different responses. First she said they do this if they have to do something...a minute later she said they do this to stagger the amount of passengers so they do not all come at once. I am wondering if they only send a certain amount of emails out so that only a portion shows up early. I will be there early, if I have to wait so be it.