Naples Port - Sorrento and Positano

abm3240

Good point, I think you're right about the C-t-C timetable, so the SITA bus is it, with a taxi as your fallback. In that case, be sure to leave yourself plenty of extra time if you can't get on the first bus.

As for the views, if this is what you have in mind (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YqGVAJ_MyIM/U6cKTidX7aI/AAAAAAAACmc/ne5qkCO-Gws/s1600/DSC01113.jpg) you can see that it is taken from a point slightly east of town and down toward the beach but not all the way down. The issue with Positano is that close up you miss the big picture (well actually, that's the case everywhere) so you need to get a little way away from town to get this kind of shot.

yes, that is the view we want to capture. Is there a trail we can hike up to the east of the town for the best view?

Good point, I think you're right about the C-t-C timetable, so the SITA bus is it, with a taxi as your fallback. In that case, be sure to leave yourself plenty of extra time if you can't get on the first bus.

As for the views, if this is what you have in mind (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YqGVAJ_MyIM/U6cKTidX7aI/AAAAAAAACmc/ne5qkCO-Gws/s1600/DSC01113.jpg) you can see that it is taken from a point slightly east of town and down toward the beach but not all the way down. The issue with Positano is that close up you miss the big picture (well actually, that's the case everywhere) so you need to get a little way away from town to get this kind of shot.

Wow! Just reading this post about taking the train and then the bus and maybe a ferry!! Makes me exhausted just thinking about it, and at this late date (going in Nov.?). We will be in Naples in May on our Med cruise and have already signed up with a tour company to take us to Sorrento, Positano and Ravello through our roll call. There are 8 couples with two vans and we will sit back, listen and relax. I would try to check a tour already booked on some of the tour companies websites and see if you can get in one that needs a couple more people. This is our first med cruise and feel more comfortable with the tour company.

Just my opinion. Happy sailing!

Wow! Just reading this post about taking the train and then the bus and maybe a ferry!! Makes me exhausted just thinking about it, and at this late date (going in Nov.?). We will be in Naples in May on our Med cruise and have already signed up with a tour company to take us to Sorrento, Positano and Ravello through our roll call. There are 8 couples with two vans and we will sit back, listen and relax. I would try to check a tour already booked on some of the tour companies websites and see if you can get in one that needs a couple more people. This is our first med cruise and feel more comfortable with the tour company.

Some people enjoy the DIY and get a lot out of it. Tours are a good option but they aren't necessarily the first choice of everyone.;)

Some people enjoy the DIY and get a lot out of it. Tours are a good option but they aren't necessarily the first choice of everyone.;)

I agree. We are DIYers too and will be in the other ports but just seems less hectic in Naples and Amalfi coast. We are doing Capri DIY on our second stop in Naples at the end of our cruise.

Thanks cruisemom, I always enjoy your reviews and suggestions.

My wife and I are doing our first Europe trip ever and our first Med cruise in April. I agree with you. We splurged on the Amalfi coast with a private tour. Kind of romantic. Lunch some place with a great view. Seeing what we want to see and spending the time we want to at the places we want.

I agree with love2cruisegal and FloridaTourist. The OP is wanting to pack an awful lot into one day and in order to do that safely I think the wisest way is to hire a private tour. We spent time on the Amalfi Coast a couple of months ago and did almost everything on our own (with the exception of a private car from Napoli Centrale to Positano). But we had five days so we could pace ourselves. I think the Amalfi Coast is one area where you have to bite the bullet and spend a little more for the convenience of a driver and tour guide.

And if you decide on a private tour and have the opportunity to customize it a bit I would highly recommend a lunch stop at La Tagliata which is high in the hills above Positano. It is more than a meal, it is an experience of a lifetime and remains one of the highlights of our three week Italy trip.

BTW, I had scoured these boards for months and months before our trip for information on transportation and had read all of the reports about the Circumsuviana trains so I was prepared for crowded and seedy. However, I was nowhere near adequately prepared for this "worse than a root canal" experience. We spent the one hour trip standing up between two cars sandwiched in among sweaty tourists. At each stop when the doors opened more people forced their way onto the train even though it was already packed to capacity. And as more people sandwiched their way onto the train the smell of body odor became more and more intense. We took the train from Sorrento to Napoli Centrale because DH balked at spending the 90 euro for a private car (he has since apologized for that decision). After our experience I'm sure he would be happy to pay twice that rather than ride this train again. All of our other train experiences in Italy were very enjoyable but Circumsuviana.......never again!

We would ( and often do) simply rent a car (with GPS) and drive. This gives you maximum flexibility and makes it possible to visit Posiatno, Amalfi, and Ravello during a port day. While driving is not always a great idea during the busy season, in the off season it is a decent option.

Hank