Somewhat Last Minute Questions

roothy123

My cruise is finally approaching, and I have some questions. I'm too lazy to go back and use the search function to get answers, plus I'm looking for recent info, which may not even be available even if I search. So here are my questions:

Are port talks given that are specific to the ports and/or description of the cities/excursions coming up? If so, are they generally scheduled toward the end of the day, or during the time most people are ashore or not ashore? I generally stay ashore until close to the latest I can. If I miss a talk, are they broadcast on the TV?

What's on top of the beds - a big, hot fluff comforter like our current cruise line of choice? Am I going to have to ask for a lightweight blanket? Has anyone needed and asked for one?

Do the coffee machines in the rooms have any decaf selections?

Is the Chef's Table menu being rotated every 5 days now? Are the menus posted anywhere?

Is a bridge tour offered? I suppose most cruise lines don't do that due to safety concerns, but if Viking does, I'm interested. Also, are the Captain and officers introduced at some point (party or whatever)?

Here goes Roothy - of course as you know by now I was on the 50-day Maiden, so some things might have changed.

Port talks were generally sometime around early dinner time (5:00 to 7:00) and were for several days ahead of when we'd actually be in the port.

Bed cover - Big fluffy duvet. I asked for top sheet and blanket. Got the sheet but not the blanket, but steward kept coming by and saying he was trying to locate one for me. One sheet wasn't enough, so I used the duvet cover, with the duvet fluffy part pulled out. I asked steward to remove fluffy part which he did. About halfway through cruise, a big heavy huge woven blanket showed up, but it was worse than the duvet.

Coffee machine - no decaf - and it's not a Keurig machine and uses a different kind of pod.

Bridge tour - yes, in fact they do, but they don't advertise it. It was never mentioned in a Viking Daily. I asked at the Explorer's Desk. There's only one per segment. I had missed the one for the first segment, but got my DH signed up for the second segment one. The down side is it's scheduled for a Port Day. As I recall it was for around 4:00 or 5:00 pm.

Which brings me to the KITCHEN Table (as opposed to the Chef's Table). This is the thing you read about where you go out with the chef and do the markets and then come back and cook it. Sort of like a cooking lesson. This is not advertised either. Apparently on our first segment they did have one, but rumor had it that they didn't go to any Market - but that ingredients were already lined up. On the second segment, you had to be 'invited' to participate for (I think) $299 each! We happened to know one couple who were invited but we weren't. Explorer's Desk claimed ignorance. I have not read about anyone going to this in any of the reviews or comments since then.

We were on the 7/11 Homelands cruise. I don't know about Chef's Table rotation or bridge tours but to answer your other questions...

Port talks specific to cities and excursions were offered at least two nights before the port stops and were available the next day on the TV. We never attended a live talk but very much appreciated the TV reruns.

Bedding is standard Scandinavian fare, i.e., a too-hot fluffy thing and no top sheet. So you're either suffocating underneath or sleeping exposed. Since outside temps were cool, there was no need to throw myself into the Baltic at 3am; if the A/C wasn't up to the task, I shut it off and opened the door--which V does not want you to do but when it's cooler outside than in, that's what I'm going to do. The A/C is decent but I doubt it's sufficient to counteract the too-hot fluffy thing in the Mediterranean.

There were decaf pods in the room -- 2 unleaded and 4 leaded and I'm sure you can change that ratio if you ask; the crew is very accommodating.

Best wishes for a great cruise. We loved ours!

Thank you both for your help.

Sounds like I'll be fine with the bedding, although I AM laughing, as I think I also "deconstructed" a duvet on Oceania. Cruise lines love their hot fluffy things with no sheets because of how they look, and perhaps because they make it easier to make the bed. Sleeping, though, is another matter. However, Star doesn't head to where we're going until very late September/very early Oct., when the temps are supposed to be mild (75 F average). I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Bridge tour sounds good. Other than on VRC, I've never seen one offered. I'll look for it, and perhaps ask for it. I'm sure they can't accommodate 930 passengers, but at least if I know it might be offered, I can keep my eyes and ears open for it. I figured the Chef's Table was little used. Oceania has a similar offering, with similar pricing, but we've never wanted to pay that much for the experience.

Thanks for the port talk info. I always enjoy those. May not use the coffee pot but nice to know there are choices.

So I guess the only thing I'm still wondering about is how often the menu at Chef's Table changes. I've got a reservation, but if the menu changes on the cruise (10 days) I may want to check out the "other" menu as well if I can get a reservation. I like variety.

Just went to put tags on and there is no adhesive just a tuck in and pull through. I hope this stays on throughout flight?? Are these meant to be put on when we land in Venice?? On our river cruise and all other ocean cruises were put on before leaving.

We usually put them on once we get to our destination, but we rarely use cruise line transfers, so as long as they're on when we go to the ship, we're good to go. You may want to do it now and get it out of the way! I think the tags should be fine, as they're printed on plastic coated paper, which is pretty durable. The airlines use the same set up (just smaller tags) and I've never had a problem. Also, on a Celebrity cruise last year, I had to print out our own tags on regular paper and wondered if they would be torn off before the bags made it to the room. They made it fine.

We received 6 tags. I suppose you could take an extra with you in case something happens along the way, but I doubt it will - sticky or pull-through!

Glad to hear the port talks are available on the TVs! That was something many of us suggested on the maiden cruise. Of course for much of our cruise the TVS weren't working at all.

Also glad to hear about the decaf. That's something my husband complained about to the Explorer's Desk a lot as that's all he drinks. The Ex Desk kept telling him to check back after the next turn-around day when they would reprovision - that they had put in a request. Never did happen in the 50-days. Glad to hear that finally listened and got some decaf!

Can't answer the question about the Starbucks versus Euro pods. However, in general I don't bring any food or drink with me on a cruise, other than an occasional bottle of something that the cruise ship charges too much for, whether soda or liquor. I've never gotten anywhere close to starving on a cruise, and clogging up my luggage (and a small cruise room) with non-essential stuff just doesn't work for me. Also, things that are packaged, such as coffee pods, are seldom problematic in terms of agricultural rules of entry at airports or ports, but I'd rather not risk having them thrown away. For a cruise, I tend to keep things simple. It's a vacation for me, not a duplication of my life at home. My goal this cruise is to only go home with one thing I didn't wear or use. You really don't need a lot for a cruise. Others may disagree, however.

Just went to put tags on and there is no adhesive just a tuck in and pull through. I hope this stays on throughout flight?? Are these meant to be put on when we land in Venice?? On our river cruise and all other ocean cruises were put on before leaving.

I generally put those luggage tags on as we picked up our luggage off the carousel at our destination. One less thing to be torn off in-transit. :p

Becki

I know the coffee pods were different than Keurig, and my guess is your Starbucks won't fit either. They were kind of strange and fit in the machine a totally different way than our US machines work. When we sailed on the maiden, there were a variety of different kinds of coffee pods in the staterooms (just not decaf which sounds like has been fixed). In addition, there are 2 very fancy big coffee machines in the World Cafe that do all kinds of fancy coffees that everyone seemed very happy about. I'm a tea drinker though, so just going by what others said. I heard NO ONE complaining about the coffee.

I totally agree with you on all you said...except for the coffee....! We are coffee snobs and I admit it. :)

Madrone - I knew I had read somewhere what brand of coffee was on the Star. A little digging found this:

" I can tackle the coffee question (and thanks so much for hosting this thread, Becki!): It's from a Finland-based company called K-fee. My husband, who is from Finland, was quite excited about that and he's pretty picky when it comes to coffee so I hope that's good (I don't drink the stuff).

Carolyn "

Carolyn is the Cruise Critic editor who was onboard April 11 when the Star left Istanbul. Becki is rjscott who was also onboard April 11 and hosted the thread that Carolyn references called Live from the Viking Star. It's great to see rjscott, id4elizabeth and others still following these threads and popping up to answer questions. Many thanks!

And there is Norwegian coffee in Mamsens, completely different from the others.

I might have to swing by Mamsens for an early morning pastry and Norwegian coffee. (They do have early morning pastries at Mamsens, right? I remember that the pea soup is good, but forget what has been said about other offerings there. Well, maybe the waffles are there, too?)

Anyone go to "The Deli" in the Living Room? Do they put out pastries, or what is that all about? I'm sure my husband will want to eat al fresco almost every day, morning, noon and night, but I prefer variety, so intend to explore all venues, even if the food is the same at each one!

Agreed! We went to Mamsen's one afternoon rather than to tea. Actually, my friend and I were looking at the sweets and the young lady behind the counter talked us into letting her serve us tea and a slice of cake while we enjoyed the view across the way, rather than the "noisy tea area". :D It was not only delicious, but a very pleasant way to enjoy the late afternoon.

Becki

Put them on when you get OFF the plane for people to handle bags getting to the ship. They give you a new set for disembarking.

CHS

My cruise is finally approaching, and I have some questions. I'm too lazy to go back and use the search function to get answers, plus I'm looking for recent info, which may not even be available even if I search. So here are my questions:

Are port talks given that are specific to the ports and/or description of the cities/excursions coming up? If so, are they generally scheduled toward the end of the day, or during the time most people are ashore or not ashore? I generally stay ashore until close to the latest I can. If I miss a talk, are they broadcast on the TV?

What's on top of the beds - a big, hot fluff comforter like our current cruise line of choice? Am I going to have to ask for a lightweight blanket? Has anyone needed and asked for one?

Do the coffee machines in the rooms have any decaf selections?

Is the Chef's Table menu being rotated every 5 days now? Are the menus posted anywhere?

Is a bridge tour offered? I suppose most cruise lines don't do that due to safety concerns, but if Viking does, I'm interested. Also, are the Captain and officers introduced at some point (party or whatever)?

Info from July 11 cruise:

Chef's table changes every 5 days now. Stop by the first day, and they will show you preview of ALL menus for your cruise (and dates). No proble grabbing more reservations there or at Manfredi's if you MAKE them early in the cruise... even if it is for the last night (Good idea to do for last few days FAR ahead).

Ask your stateroom steward for whatever coffee pod selection you prefer. Ours was perfect every day... but we decided we liked the pots of "brewed" coffee in World Cafe (not the machine there) best. We are coffee snobs... and the pods were too bitter for us. Very French Roast-ish. If you grab the min-bar person or CALL them, they will customize that for you, too. We got Schweppes Bitter Lemon instead of Coke and got all scotch and gin instead of other liquor (PV 1 category, so if was free).

Port talks were almost always late afternoon about 36 hr before we got there. They were on TV (on demand) sometime the DAY before, but it was then too late to change your excursions. Check those times in case they revise again. Port talks got more detailed about steps, rugged terrain, etc. than the descriptions were. You can also ask for details at Explorer's Desk, ad they can show you the actual itinerary so you know how LONG you will be on a bus, on a walk, at a photo stop, etc. I wish we had all had that info for all excursions. Once we found out about it, we started asking for it.

Have a great time!

Thank you. Couple other things:

Were officers (Captain etc.) introduced at a party or anything?

Do you know what they do for a birthday celebration? Travel agent requested one for us but how do they know who we are?! If we choose to eat al fresco at World Cafe that night will that screw up their plans? Also on first cruise they didn't photograph each person as part of the check in first day, or if they did, it wasn't obvious. Do they use pic from your passport, don't look at a picture when they scan you in or out or what? I'm fine with them not using one but curious, as other cruise lines I've used always take your picture for the security staff to use.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Roothy, they do take your picture at embarkation. It then shows up on their computers whenever you buy anything or get on/off ship in ports.

We had an anniversary on board, not a birthday.....but they did the extra steps for us that were very nice at dinner in Manifredi's.

I might have to swing by Mamsens for an early morning pastry and Norwegian coffee. (They do have early morning pastries at Mamsens, right? I remember that the pea soup is good, but forget what has been said about other offerings there. Well, maybe the waffles are there, too?)

My husband went to Mamsen's early mornings and brought back coffee and pastries :) There was a regular group of early morning photo fiends up there.