Question on international flight to US.

mina

Our business class flights on US airways are fast approaching. Booked almost a year ago! On the us airways return from vce Marco Polo airport to Phoenix az, I have a couple questions.

(1). When departing VCE on Oct 13, I know it is a zoo and security lines can be long. I am also reading that once through security, you have to stand in line again for passport control check. Can anyone validate that? If you go through passport control, are you still in the area that has shops, etc? What is the process like?

(2). We fly from VCE to PHL. In PHL we have an overnight stay before flying the next morning to PHX. So, once we get our luggage to go through customs, do we recheck it again immediately or do we check it the next morning as if we were on a separate flight? Both flights are on a single ticket.

Thank you.

Edited by mina

Our business class flights on US airways are fast approaching. Booked almost a year ago! On the us airways return from vce Marco Polo airport to Phoenix az, I have a couple questions.

(1). When departing VCE on Oct 13, I know it is a zoo and security lines can be long. I am also reading that once through security, you have to stand in line again for passport control check. Can anyone validate that? If you go through passport control, are you still in the area that has shops, etc? What is the process like?

(2). We fly from VCE to PHL. In PHL we have an overnight stay before flying the next morning to PHX. So, once we get our luggage to go through customs, do we recheck it again immediately or do we check it the next morning as if we were on a separate flight? Both flights are on a single ticket.

Thank you.

1. Haven't done it at VCE, but every other airport I've transited leaving Schengen that's exactly what happens - through security, passport check (can be in either order) then off into the shopping mall.

2. You can retrieve your bags after customs and take them with you overnight, then re-check them in the morning. They'll probably be tagged through to PHX; don't remove the tags overnight; it will speed things up the next day when you check in at PHL. Frankly I wouldn't leave them overnight at PHL (or any other airport for that matter) even if you could.

Thank you.

1) Yep, security and passport control are two different functions, and two different lines. That'll happen anytime you are exiting any Schengen country and have a destination other than another member of the Schengen community. If you were going VCE to CDG, example, you'd just do the security check. But, leaving to the US, you must also do exit procedures with the passport control folks.

2) Ask USAir about this one. Usually it depends on how much time you have for the connection for whether or not they will keep the bags overnight.

I have done this sleep overnight and go back to the airport the next day to continue the journey. Have your bags tagged to PHL and claim them. Take them with you to hotel and the next day check in as usual -- you have to as you have gone from the secure area to go to the hotel for the night!!

Too much chance of bags going to Phoenix before you if you put your last stop on the bags from the start:eek:

Reserve a hotel in first city that has a shuttle bus to and from the airport. If you need help, order a meet and greet at the airport (hotel can help with this). I think a break in the flight is a very healthy way to travel and find as I age a bit that it has a set of problems/challenges but it is the way to go.