Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

That's what Carnival does. It's ingrained into the DNA from its very first cruise.

That's exactly what I thought of. During a VIFP party I attended the cruise director shared a story about Carinval's first ever cruise and how the legacy of the Fun Ships was born. This story reinforces that tradition.

Thank you OP for sharing your unbiased first hand accounts. I've enjoyed your posts. Enjoy the rest of your vacation! Cheers!

I was elated this morning when I signed on and realized that the Liberty was now ported in San Juan. I so much enjoyed the reporting of paulydm. The way that CCL has chosen to make a bad situation better for its passengers is amazing and I was so interested because a regular on a thread I subscribe to was onboard. Her attitude throughout this crisis was , like pauley's, positive and upbeat. I am looking forward to hearing how she and her DH spent the time in San Juan. Have a blast Kerri.

Nikki

Edited by gubby

Because They ran aground on the very first cruise!!!!!!!!! hhehe

If you want to know about that, there is a book about it.

This book, sometimes on the same page, talks about Carnival as if it were a fascist dictatorship and then like it's something that has improved the lives of millions of people.

I have not been on a cruise in a long time, but I wanted to go on one next year.

I am a cheapskate, so I wanted to go on a cruise I could drive to. Which means Carnival out of Long Beach.

So to me, it's interesting to see that a guy who worked on a cruise line and who is a reasonable drive to several cruise ports chose Carnival.

So even if I have to take turns in the gym with the weights, I now feel better about Carnival.

You can see from my signature that we've sailed CCL, HAL, RCCL and Cunard. The service on Carnival, cabin stewards and dining room staff, has been every bit as good as any of the more "higher dollar" lines.

The food, while not normally fancy is good and if you go hungry on Carnival ... you're a fool :D In fact it tastes even better since I don't have to shop for it, cook it, serve it and definitely don't have to clean up after :D:D

We were on this cruise as a group of 8 - 4 connecting cabins. My husband and I got chartered off just hours before they set sail with the remainder of the family who was celebrating my husbands parents 50th wedding anniversary. Here are my thoughts:

1. I recognize that it could have been much worse.

2. I am grateful for the way carnival has worked hard to compensate and retain customers.

3. The crew was great.

4. BUT.....our cabins were booked together- connected to the same dinning table. They should have kept our group together.

5. There were problems at every turn no matter how hard we tried to stay positive. Our charter flight left 2 hours late. (They could have told us about the possibility of sailing before we left- it was that close.)

our baggage was two hours later to the plane than we were- another opportunity to at least give us a choice.

They sent us to the Marriot where they had failed to actually provide payment for the rooms we were promised.

And before the fire....

I requested chefs table any night but the 10th. There were three nights to chose from and we were put on the one night I asked them not to.

My FIL was promised that we could open all 4 of the balconies- he had been talking about it for MONTHS- it was the highlight of what he wanted for the trip. They placed us in an area where only two could be opened. Had we been a few cabins down- it would have worked.

I have tried so hard to be thankful and remain positive but the whole entire ordeal was not the sunshine and beaches it has been portrayed as. It was constantly being shuffled around and never knowing what the next few hour would bring- we had no control over a vacation that was a once in a lifetime celebration (50th wedding anniversary) I am so mentally and emotionally drained.

We were on this cruise as a group of 8 - 4 connecting cabins. My husband and I got chartered off just hours before they set sail with the remainder of the family who was celebrating my husbands parents 50th wedding anniversary. Here are my thoughts:

1. I recognize that it could have been much worse.

2. I am grateful for the way carnival has worked hard to compensate and retain customers.

3. The crew was great.

4. BUT.....our cabins were booked together- connected to the same dinning table. They should have kept our group together.

5. There were problems at every turn no matter how hard we tried to stay positive. Our charter flight left 2 hours late. (They could have told us about the possibility of sailing before we left- it was that close.)

our baggage was two hours later to the plane than we were- another opportunity to at least give us a choice.

They sent us to the Marriot where they had failed to actually provide payment for the rooms we were promised.

And before the fire....

I requested chefs table any night but the 10th. There were three nights to chose from and we were put on the one night I asked them not to.

My FIL was promised that we could open all 4 of the balconies- he had been talking about it for MONTHS- it was the highlight of what he wanted for the trip. They placed us in an area where only two could be opened. Had we been a few cabins down- it would have worked.

I have tried so hard to be thankful and remain positive but the whole entire ordeal was not the sunshine and beaches it has been portrayed as. It was constantly being shuffled around and never knowing what the next few hour would bring- we had no control over a vacation that was a once in a lifetime celebration (50th wedding anniversary) I am so mentally and emotionally drained.

Sorry that your cruise wasn't the best. Unfortunately, Carnival had no way of knowing when they would receive clearance to sail. It looks like Carnival messed up on the flight and the Chef's Table reservation. Hope you have better cruises in the future.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Sorry that your cruise wasn't the best. Unfortunately, Carnival had no way of knowing when they would receive clearance to sail. Hope you have better cruises in the future.

We were still at the st Thomas airport when they were given clearance. I'd have liked to at least been given the option at that point- especially since it took some time for them

To actually sail.

We were still at the st Thomas airport when they were given clearance. I'd have liked to at least been given the option at that point- especially since it took some time for them

To actually sail.

Things are not that simple. You opted to charter, you were logged out of the ship computer system and onto the charter system. They didn't just give you a ride there, computer information was exchanged and logged .

Were you going to SJ or home?

Edited by RuthlessBoss

Things are not that simple. You opted to charter, you were logged out of the ship computer system and onto the charter system. They didn't just give you a ride there, computer information was exchanged and logged .

Were you going to SJ or home?

They sent us to Orlando over night and home to salt lake today. There was no opting in or out of anything- just being herded around. Computers can be moved the other way just as easily- especially on a charter.

My intention is not to get into it with anyone- I just simply wanted to be heard that not everyone had a great experience and that not everyone was allowed to be "stranded on a free cruise " with the ability to actually do as they pleased

Edited by Mdchris

We didn't opt to charter. We were told we had to. Not sure why everyone thought it was a choice- they gave us a letter with our flight info with absolutely no say in the matter.

Some made it sound the people who go off 1st and flew did it by choice, are you saying they made you leave the ship and then while at the airport they decided that they were taking back to San Juan?

No payment for Hotel? They dropped the ball big time it sounds

That is awful, make sure you contact them as you did not get the same deal as many other who got to get the full cruise

Some made it sound the people who go off 1st and flew did it by choice, are you saying they made you leave the ship and then while at the airport they decided that they were taking back to San Juan?

That is awful, make sure you contact them as you did not get the same deal as many other who got to get the full cruise

That's exactly what I'm saying. We had no choice - we were told to leave the ship even after I told them we would rather not be Separated from our group. I'll write an email but I doubt it will make a difference. Sometimes it is nice to just be heard. Thanks for letting me vent

Edited by Mdchris

I think they planned on sending everyone home via charter plane but finally got clearance from the uscg. It's not like they can send everyone in one evening so they were splitting it up. Guess they area they were on was one of the first to be flown out.

I think they planned on sending everyone home via charter plane but finally got clearance from the uscg. It's not like they can send everyone in one evening so they were splitting it up. Guess they area they were on was one of the first to be flown out.

The only pattern to the flights was the east coast cities- and since we are from Utah- I'm not sure how we got put into the Orlando charter. At the end of the day- if we hadn't been separated from our group at least we would all be in it together. On the ship or at home it would t matter as much as it does now. That's my largest complaint. It tore up the entire reason for the trip (my In laws 50th anniversary- on the day of the anniversary) even after I asked not to be split up.

The only pattern to the flights was the east coast cities- and since we are from Utah- I'm not sure how we got put into the Orlando charter. At the end of the day- if we hadn't been separated from our group at least we would all be in it together. On the ship or at home it would t matter as much as it does now. That's my largest complaint. It tore up the entire reason for the trip (my In laws 50th anniversary- on the day of the anniversary) even after I asked not to be split up.

I would be very unhappy with my group being separated as well. I would write Carnival a letter and let them know how you feel. Constructive criticism never hurts.

I hope you can have a "do over" with your group. Alaska might be nice with your 50% discount.

That awful that they split up your family, so sorry this happened on your special occasion