Likelihood of Itinerary change due to tropical storm Grace?

Sharkman14

We are sailing on Getaway September 12-19. With tropical storm Grace looming, what is the likelihood that our cruise gets rerouted? Does anyone know the protocol for rerouting the ship due to weather? Or is it simply left up to the judgement of the crew?

Thanks,

John

Our August 22nd cruise on the Getaway was changed from Eastern to Western Caribbean. Decision was made late the night before according to the crew we spoke with but this wasn't a surprise to us as we had been watching the weather channel. We were notified when we checked in. Everything was smooth and weather was great. They took us to Nassau first, then to Jamaica and Cozumel. Cruise was great and I didn't hear of anyone complaining.

It is already back down to a depression. It lost its storm status when winds dropped to 35. Take a look at the spaghetti models on Wunderground.

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2015/tropical-depression-Grace?map=ensmodel

Don't worry they will reroute you rather than put their very expensive ship in harms way. We have had Eastern Caribbean cruises turned into W. Caribbean and W. Caribbean turned into E. Caribbean and had sunshine on both cruises. Just make the best of it.

We will be embarking on the Getaway this weekend as well. A day or two ago I would have said different, but, as of this evening, I am really beginning to think it will be business as usual. Of course, never say never. One or two models still have this thing building back up. The shear that it will encounter in the next 24 hrs though makes it seem unlikely.

All that being said, I plan to go fully prepared in case we encounter some rocky seas in the aftermath.:eek:

We will be embarking on the Getaway this weekend as well. A day or two ago I would have said different, but, as of this evening, I am really beginning to think it will be business as usual. Of course, never say never. One or two models still have this thing building back up. The shear that it will encounter in the next 24 hrs though makes it seem unlikely.

All that being said, I plan to go fully prepared in case we encounter some rocky seas in the aftermath.:eek:

I'm fully prepared too...I have the UBP :D

Edited by Sharkman14
typo

My cruise on the Dawn last October was rerouted from a Bermuda cruise to a Bahamas cruise due to Hurricane Gonzolo. This is the risk you have of cruising in hurricane season. NCL does try to put you on a similar cruise. The same week of our cruise, a RCL cruise from Baltimore was rerouted to a Canada New England cruise. While I love New England (I live here) it is not the same as Bermuda. If I were you, I'd look at other ports in the area, maybe Eastern Caribbean.

Edited to add: I'd look at shore excursions on the Eastern Caribbean ports... Not just the ports. That was what our TA said when the hurricane aimed for Bermuda.

Edited by moonieelf