Dining room attire for kids?

Partridgeberry79

I have an 11 yr old and on normal nights, he usually wears a nice teeshirt and either his "good" jeans or a pair of khakis. On formal night, he wears a nice polo shirt and khakis.

ALTHOUGH...I have seen some kids decked to the 9s in fancy dresses and heels, super nice button down shirts with ties, that sort of thing. So it's really all up to you. :D

Not too different than adults. For regular nights- khakis and polis for the guys and sundress or capris for the girls.

For CE night they can copy what you and your spouse wear.

Shorts are fine for regular nights; it's in the guidelines.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1125/~/what-to-wear%3F

Edited by BallFour4

Nice shorts and a polo for casual nights but long pants and a button down (with or without a tie) for formal nights. Check local consignment shops or even Target of Walmart. Even check with friends that have kids the same size and borrow. Start them young that certain events require certain dress. I hate going to an evening formal wedding all dressed up to see young people dressed in ripped jeans, t-shirt, and a vest.

My DDs love to dress up, but I have to say my 15 year old DD will wear the same dress sometimes 3 times during the week cruise. It's a basic black dress. You don't have to wear a different outfit every night.

Exactly. My boys wear the same pole on casual nights and the same button down on formal nights. As soon as dinner is over. Back to the cabin to change and hang it up for next time.

I took my kids on many cruises and when my son was 15 I took him with me again. I told him over and over to pack starting a week out. He never did. "Mom, I know what I'm taking!" Day of he packed.

When it came time for the first elegant night, he put on his slacks and they were now high waters--2 inches too short and about 2 inches too big in the waist! He hadn't worn them since the last cruise and he'd grown much taller!

A quick hem rip out and, luckily, a belt helped him but he was mortified! As was I but I couldn't help laughing. :D

Edited by crusinpsychRN

I don't understand the question. Kids are expected in society to dress the same way as adults. Parents are expected to teach those values. So the answer is to dress them like you would dress.

So, you did understand the question. Or at least you answered it pretty well for someone who didn't .

I don't understand the question. Kids are expected in society to dress the same way as adults. Parents are expected to teach those values. So the answer is to dress them like you would dress.

Perhaps you've never had children or just have an unlimited supply of money. Most kids outgrow formal or even semi-formal clothes before they're worn them a second time. When packing for a cruise most parents try to get use out of clothes the kids may already have in their closet vs purchasing new formal clothes they may only wear once. Thus the questions. And most people who have had children and understand this will be a little more forgiving if children aren't dressed quite as formal as adults.

Perhaps you've never had children or just have an unlimited supply of money. Most kids outgrow formal or even semi-formal clothes before they're worn them a second time. When packing for a cruise most parents try to get use out of clothes the kids may already have in their closet vs purchasing new formal clothes they may only wear once. Thus the questions. And most people who have had children and understand this will be a little more forgiving if children aren't dressed quite as formal as adults.

Hence the previous suggestions of thrift stores or borrowing.

Hence the reason I said to borrow or hit a consignment shop. I have 3 boys and know how fast they grow. A polo at Target is under $10. Not going to break the bank.

Wondering what would be appropriate dining room clothing for kids (for regular nights as well as elegant night)- we're travelling with 6 and 12 year old boys and an 8 year old girl.

Same as adults. And basically it's how you as parents want to present your kids to the world.

Keep in mind it will also be an opportunity for a family portrait, so decide how exactly you want that to show up in your wall.