Weather Crossing the Gulf of Mexico in December

kristinjpw

Hi There,

My husband, toddler, and I will be taking our first cruise this December out of New Orleans on the Norwegian Dawn. We are very excited but I am still a little nervous about possible sea sickness. I have booked a mid-ship cabin on the 8th deck which I've heard should minimize the feeling of the ship rocking. For those who have crossed the Gulf this time of year before, how likely is it we will hit rough seas? Should I be concerned? I have already planned on bringing with us bonine, sea-bands, etc.

Thanks in advance!

You are doing fine- if you have a problem with sea sickness, you come prepared, every day you are on a ship. It is what you do.

The weather and the seas are not predictable. It can be calm, it can be rough, chances are it will be somewhere in between. We have sailed the area many times, seen all sorts of weather and seas.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I always recommend booking mid ship if one is concerned about getting sea sick.

You may want to bring some nausea prevention medicine to be on the safe side such as Bonine.

As CruiserBruce mentioned you just never know when it comes to weather and what the seas will be like. This is why we prepare for the worst and hope for the best .

Preparation for us would be cabin location and nausea medicine.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Short: you will be fine, expect a little more wind and some rocking versus summer cruises, but you will have a great vacation!

Long: we've sailed lots from Galveston to Cozumel and other ports over Thanksgiving or Christmas time and some of those were in heavy seas. Here's why.

North winds push down and bring colder weather to us. As they near the gulf they pick up moisture and can mean cold, rainy days. We don't have many, but they do happen.

Most of the time the wind has an effect on wave heights. You can search NOAA and see the offshore buoy wave heights to predict how smooth your seas will be on the cruise. Summertime cruises almost always mean flat, calm days at sea. Winter months mean some whitecaps to the waves, and more wind. Expect stronger on deck winds coming back, as you are headed into the weather.

There is no way to predict other than watch the US weather forecast prior to your cruise. A big mass of cold air coming down will kick up the gulf, lower temps and mean for a less than smooth ride home. We've spent many last days at sea in a sweatshirt and shorts.

Take ginger a few days prior to the cruise and for the duration, drink ginger ale, take sea sick meds and have a great vacation.

Edited by BallFour4