First time trip insurance buyer

mrsgthatsme

We have never purchased trip insurance, but as parents of two young children, we plan to for our upcoming cruise in March. Where do I start? I got quotes online from a recommended online company, but don't feel like I know what Im looking for enough to choose a policy out of the options given. What do I need to look for? Basically, I want to make sure if either of our children were very ill we could cancel/fly home, as well as all the typical issues insurance covers. I have seen others mention covering medical transport should we need to be flown somewhere from another country. What else should I look for? Also, when do we need to purchase it by? Thank you!!

IMHO, that's a good decision. On our last cruise, we found that flu for one can cost $900. I bet an ear infection or sore throat could cost a lot too. That's one reason we use ship excursions, a doctor's note gets you your money back. I wonder if cruise insurance covers missed privately arranged excursions.

I ,personally, would suggest contacting tripinsurancestore.com and speaking with Steve or one of his staff. They are very knowlegable and will work with you to get the coverage you need for your specific situation.

Good luck!

Yes, contact Steve and his crew at TripInsuranceStore.com

You can browse briefly on their website for a bit of background, but even that isn't necessary.

As you've noticed, it can be confusing, especially the first time.

More importantly, there can be very important "fine print" or other details/restrictions/extras that might be important in your particular situation.

Explain exactly what your concerns are, and then ASK THEM "what else" should you be considering.

They won't try to upsell you if it's not warranted in your mind.

(They've occasionally discouraged us from getting something that would cost more, with reasons why our situation didn't need it for "this trip" or always, etc.)

Much of what you will need will depend upon whether you already have medical insurance that will cover you from the time you leave home, all destinations, and on the ship.

Also important are whether you need coverage for pre-existing conditions, and whether you want coverage for the travel costs other than possible medical costs.

GeezerCouple