Why is everyone using gift cards?

cntrydncr1

Granted 10% is not a huge savings. But if you know you are going to be spending the money on the cruise (i.e. "built in costs" like tips and steakhouse) then why not save it. I buy them through Version using my credit card that I would use on the cruise anyway. So either way I will be charged the money. I would rather be charged 10% less. And they are easy to use AND if you don't use the whole amount you get a new card with the left over to use at a future time.

The reason there is so much chatter on here about them is, at least in the Verizon situation, they seem to come and go quickly from the rewards site. They must get a batch in to sell and they get bought out quickly. So they are not something that is always available and people get excited when they are and want to let others know when they can be had.

Another thought: when someone asks you what you want for your birthday or Christmas, it's easier/more polite to ask for a Carnival gift card than say can you give me cash? Or pay for my cruise I am greedy! For example, I know my son is going on a cruise in December, his birthday is in November, I for sure would give him gift cards to make his cruise brighter. I know cash is king, but then I again, I know the money will be spent on his cruise for a happier time! Maybe he will think of his Mom as he sits and enjoys the sunset on the deck with his wife :eek:

Humm, thanks for the idea about asking for Carnival Gift gift cards for Xmas gift.