Don't Second Guess Going

earpiemom

We went on the August 14th Mariner and had a great time. I just wanted to let others know of our experience. We had planned to go on a cruise in October (cheaper) but late July started thinking of trying to go in August before school started back. We did decide to go and booked our rooms. We had a WONDERFUL time. But, prior to leaving I had some moments of thinking that it was alot of money and worrying about things while we would be gone. We had perfect weather and just some great times. The Thursday after we returned my husband was in a serious accident. He is a paramedic(EMS Director) and was riding in the back of the ambulance when a tractor trailer with a load of wood hit them in the side. He had to be airlifted to a trauma center where we found out he had numerous injuries. He is doing well but still has a long recovery ahead of him. I am so thankful that we went ahead and went on the cruise. Every penny we spent was so worthwhile. We created wonderful memories from that trip and it may be a long time if ever before we can ever go on another cruise. Also, make sure you buy trip insurance. Had this accident happened before our trip we certainly would have needed it. If anyone out there is second guessing going then GO and have a great time. Money is not everything.

First off I am very sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he recovers fast and has many more cruises left in him. I agree with you about what you say about just go. You can not take the money with you so you might as well spend your childrens inheritance. Live today like its your last day because there is not quarentee that you will be here tomorrrow!

My best wishes to you and your family and for a speedy recovery for your husband.

I too agree that you must experience and enjoy along the way or else what is the purpose? You wake up one day and say " Was that it?"

My best friend was in a serious car accident a few years ago and also had to be airlifted to a nearby town with a trauma unit hospital. She is doing really well now but it definately changed her outlook. She and her husband will be cruising with us in November to celebrate our 25th anniversary. Can't wait.

Take care and take one day at a time.

Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery!

I'm not a second-guesser person but DH is. It was HIS idea to go on a cruise but when we put everything together (time of year, itinerary, etc.), it wound up being quite a bit more expensive than he had imagined. Normally, he pays for vacations (we have pretty much a "his and hers" way of paying for things) and decided not to go. I bit the bullet and paid for it myself.... he's excited about the trip but still has some buyer's remorse. My answer when he brings this up is always "I guarantee you you will not be on your deathbed thinking 'I wish we'd never taken that cruise' - and that if we don't you WILL be thinking 'I wish we HAD taken that cruise'....."

We went on the August 14th Mariner and had a great time. I just wanted to let others know of our experience. We had planned to go on a cruise in October (cheaper) but late July started thinking of trying to go in August before school started back. We did decide to go and booked our rooms. We had a WONDERFUL time. But, prior to leaving I had some moments of thinking that it was alot of money and worrying about things while we would be gone. We had perfect weather and just some great times. The Thursday after we returned my husband was in a serious accident. He is a paramedic(EMS Director) and was riding in the back of the ambulance when a tractor trailer with a load of wood hit them in the side. He had to be airlifted to a trauma center where we found out he had numerous injuries. He is doing well but still has a long recovery ahead of him. I am so thankful that we went ahead and went on the cruise. Every penny we spent was so worthwhile. We created wonderful memories from that trip and it may be a long time if ever before we can ever go on another cruise. Also, make sure you buy trip insurance. Had this accident happened before our trip we certainly would have needed it. If anyone out there is second guessing going then GO and have a great time. Money is not everything.

I couldnt agree more I was blindsided by an 84 year old woman who decided it wasnt her day to stop at a red light. (3-11-05) I have fully revovered but there were some ugly momets in the beginning. I have since seen my daughter be born....am going on a cruise next month and have some exiting new career oppertunities ahead of me.

I wish the cremudgeons who complain about ranch steak and crying babies could sit in that car just before impact...and the not be able to breath or move....to see your pregnant wife cry at your bed while you cant even comfort her because she crying over you. maybe then they wouldnt care about ranch steak or crying babies

I am so glad you had that great trip together before the accident.You and your husband have some great memories to think about.Something like this really makes me stop and think about how lucky we all are.My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

I pray also for your husband's speedy recovery.

What a wonderful attitude you have. That is my life philosophy. I had a Aunt who was my best buddy in the world. She worked until she was 70, but was great fun to be with, tried as much as she could. But a few months after she retired, she died. Too bad she did not retire sooner to enjoy more. But she did like to go out and have a great time. Whenever we needed to try a new experience with someone, it was her and my Uncle. We had a blast whenever we went out. So even though she died before she could enjoy her retirement, she had a good time doing things. I miss her so much, but have great memories.

Life is to short to sweat the small stuff.

I do hope and prayer your DH recovers nicely. ;)

Since everyone is posting their stories, I will post what happened in our town this past weekend.

A local girl is crowned Homecoming Queen on Friday night. Saturday night she was on her way to have pictures developed... Rear ended at stop light by a drag racer... Car pushed 200 yards and explodes... Homecoming Queen dies (burns to death) and her friend is burned over 30% with 3rd degree burns... Driver of other car walks away with a broken collar bone and his passenger is OK. The other racer ( a red Viper) left the scene. Lives changed forever. :(

And a warning for all deck owners or those going to a deck party. On the same day as the car accident, a wedding party of about 20 people were having a family photo taken on a back deck. The deck collapsed and they all fell about 15 feet. Injuries ranged from a 10 month old with a skull fracture and brain bleed, to broken bones and bruises. Building inspector says the deck (and numerous decks around the US) are not properly built and most are not built to withstand that many people. Inspect your decks and if something looks suspicious, get a professional building inspector to take a look.

Oh believe me...We're going...

First..I also wish your DH a full and speedy recovery.

I am scheduled to leave on Sat for Port Canaveral and a week on Mariner.

This time last week we had a hurricane headed our way...And as of Thursday evening,we assumed we would have nothing left of our home or our community.

As you know,we were blessed.And the storm took a turn that saved us.Although my hometown,(Nederland) and many many dear friends and relatives throughout SE Texas are without what we assumed would be us...

We did have trip insurance.And was assured on last Tuesday,that since our home was

uninhabitable due to mandatory evacuation...we could cancel with a full refund up until the day of sailing...

We are also semi-self employed ( i do some part time consulting,and teach part time).We were struggling some this year...But about a week before final payment,we contracted more work than we could shake a stick at...

So believe me...We feel blessed,we are blessed.Our family needs this time together....And we will be glad in it!

Earpiemom,

What an amazing story. I have to respect you seeing the positive in this situation right now. I too am an EMS director at a hospital. I certainly appreciate what you and your family might be going through. I had fellow paramedics that we hit in the side of the ambulance by a loaded concrete truck a while back. It occured on my shift, it could have just as easily been me. I wish your husband a speedy recovery! Please tell him that fellow EMS cruisers are sending up a prayer; so that his knowledge and care can soon be put back on the street to help those in need.

earpiemom,

I couldn't read through this thread and not send out best wishes to you and your husband. Thankfully something inside of you decided to take your lovely cruise earlier. This will give you good memories and good things to talk with your husband about as he recovers.

Hopefully after this setback, you can look forward to creating more lasting memories on another cruise together.

Best of luck in the future,

Doug

Here is a little bit of a strange story about how life is short. Two years ago, my mother-in-law who lived out of state was very sick and was given weeks to months to live. We visited her a month before our cruise was scheduled.

She told us then that she planned to die on a Thursday and be buried on Saturday so that family members would not have to miss a lot of work. We were about to cancel our cruise since we wanted to be available at any time.

On the Thursday the week before our cruise she died. And following her wishes she was buried on Saturday. We went on our cruise the following Saturday with very heavy hearts. We can only think that she was smiling down on us as she rested in peace after her long illness.

Life is short.

I appreciate so much all of your responses and wishes for a speedy recovery. Some days it is very difficult to keep a positive attitude toward the events of that day, but I have quickly learned that it does not do any good to be bitter. We are so lucky that he is still with us and despite his serious injuries things could be a lot worse. I just somehow felt the need to let others know that the cruise we took was in my mind meant to be and don't let money or time stop you from going. My husband was so busy with his job prior to the accident that he almost felt he didn't have the time to go on a vacation, but now all he has is time. Its odd how your life can change in a split second. It has made me appreciate the little things a whole lot more. We are truly blessed that he is still with us. We have two sons, a 13 year old and a 1 year old and I know how lucky they are to still have their dad.

Please keep us posted on your husbands recovery. ;)

I told my DH about this thread last night. We have talked about taking our kids on another cruise for Spring break because my graduating Senior and college Junior have the same vacation. DH says that he cannot commit until the last few weeks before the cruise when he knows what his yearly bonus will be. I keep telling him that we need to book now as the cruise has already gone up a few hundred dollars since the Katrita hurricanes and the price of airfare will rise also. I'm hoping he will listen. :rolleyes:

earpiemom,

I hope that your husband recovers quickly and I send my best wishes to you and your family.

Sometimes life throws a curve, but the leasons learned are invauluable. Yes, life is short, enjoy it to the fullest.:) Take time to enjoy your spouse and family and find time to do the things in life that are important.

We are so glad that we started taking these trips together the past few years. So many people we know wait till retirement and then for health reasons can't go; we decided to start now and enjoy our middle years!

May you be blessed with many more trips with your spouse and family.

Here is a little bit of a strange story about how life is short. Two years ago, my mother-in-law who lived out of state was very sick and was given weeks to months to live. We visited her a month before our cruise was scheduled.

She told us then that she planned to die on a Thursday and be buried on Saturday so that family members would not have to miss a lot of work. We were about to cancel our cruise since we wanted to be available at any time.

On the Thursday the week before our cruise she died. And following her wishes she was buried on Saturday. We went on our cruise the following Saturday with very heavy hearts. We can only think that she was smiling down on us as she rested in peace after her long illness.

Life is short.

This reminds me of my wonderful and colorful Grandma Jesse. She told me she was going to die on derby day listening to the Tigers (She was well into her 80's and had a wonderful life) and she did. While she was doing dishes. I miss her terribly but she was a good example to me of a life full and lived with no regrets.

Archived