Alicante, Spain

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do in this region or, better yet, any suggestions for a private driver/guide for a group of from two to eight people? Is it possible to go to Valencia from Alicante, and is it worth it? Thanks for any suggestions!

Stopped In Alicante A Couple Years Ago. Lovely Little Town. Has A Cool Fort On Top Of Very High Hill, Great Views !! Everything Is Easy Walking Distance From Tram Dropoff. Also, Nice To Walk Around Town, Very Pleasant. Nice Waterfront Area - Beach, Tiled Walkway. Did Not Look Into Any Tours - Made This An Inexpensive Port.

Thanks Pinebro! Did you go up to the fort and if so, did you walk or is there an easier way? :) As to the guide issue, we are going to be there for quite a long day and I thought if there was an opportunity to see more of the area (half day tour maybe) we could maximize the time. :D

We have friends with a house half way between Alicante and Valencia, and it takes about an hour from either, so you are looking at 2 hours each way.

The fort mentioned is probably the 16th century Santa Barbara Castle, which is accessible via a lift on the Avenida Juan Bautista Lafora, a short walk from the centre. The Alicante Museum of Archeology is also well worth a visit. There are also a number of good restaurants - we ate at one called Nou Manolin (Calle Villegas 3) last time we had a wait before our homeward flight.

As far as venturing out of Alicante is concerned, a trip north (on the old coast road, not the autostrade) might be worth looking at - it passes through a number of small towns (Altea, Javea where we go, Denia), and you could then go inland a while and circle back to Alicante.

Websites you might like to look at are www.tourspain.co.uk and www.landofvalencia.com

Hope this helps.

Sekhmet, Thank you for that valuable information about the distances. I hadn't gotten that far in my research but it helps immensely to know that it's probably not worth venturing all the way to Valencia from Alicante. I'll be looking forward to checking out your website suggestions. If you think of anything else that would be useful to us, we'd love to hear it! Thanks again. :D

You Go In Off The Street Mentioned Above, Thru Tunnel To Lift Station. Its Not A Very Large Lift - Maybe 6ft X 6ft - I Might Remember Steps Up Into It, Or Out At The Top. Also Has Access By Bus Or Taxi... Fyi - This Lift Is In A Shaft Cut Thru Stone.....so It Can Be A Little Claustrophobic........but The View Is Worth It !!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived