Which Ketchikan fishing excursion?

RoxiRoo

Hello All,

I need advice on a Ketchikan fishing excursion. Baranof seems good, but pricey. AAA looked good, wondering about Jerry. Also have heard Go Fish is good. Others on my list to do more research: Alaska Strike Zone, Ketchikan Charters, Alaska Sport Fishing, Best Weigh Guide. I am open to others, also.

Here is what we want: 4 hours (which may mean salmon fishing and no halibut), nice guide who can put up with a non-fishing wife (me), pick up and drop off close to the ship, and good value for the money. No beer necessary. Husband loves to fish and I want to make sure he gets the chance to try out fishing while we are on our cruise.

Thank you!

Julie

We were in Ketchikan on a cruise a couple of weeks ago. I rented a car for the day and drove to Ward Lake/Creek. The creek was loaded with pretty fresh pink salmon, along with a few sockeye salmon. I caught several pinks, a sockeye and a dolly varden char. I purchased an Ugly Stick GX2 4 piece pack rod. I got some spinners and jigs. I also packed my lightweight hip waders, which helped a lot. I put it all in a backpack. I had no problems getting my equipment through the airports or onto the ship. I had a blast. A little research is need to make sure which salmon may be spawning.

If he likes stream fishing, DH went out with this guide in July and had a good time. Not cheap, but good trip.

http://www.hookupflyshop.com/

If you're not fishing, what do you plan to do? Just sort of walk along or...?

HI Suzanne,

I actually hope for a boat trip - so he can fish and I can just watch the wildlife, hopefully some whales, eagles, etc....

But stream fishing might be an option. I will run that past him. I probably wouldn't come along for that. I am too afraid of bears. :eek:

Julie

We were in Ketchikan on a cruise a couple of weeks ago. I rented a car for the day and drove to Ward Lake/Creek. The creek was loaded with pretty fresh pink salmon, along with a few sockeye salmon. I caught several pinks, a sockeye and a dolly varden char. I purchased an Ugly Stick GX2 4 piece pack rod. I got some spinners and jigs. I also packed my lightweight hip waders, which helped a lot. I put it all in a backpack. I had no problems getting my equipment through the airports or onto the ship. I had a blast. A little research is need to make sure which salmon may be spawning.

This sounds like he might really enjoy it. I will run this past him also. Thank you!

Where did you get your fishing license?

HI Suzanne,

I actually hope for a boat trip - so he can fish and I can just watch the wildlife, hopefully some whales, eagles, etc....

But stream fishing might be an option. I will run that past him. I probably wouldn't come along for that. I am too afraid of bears. :eek:

Julie

My family has been going fishing out of Ketchikan for 20 years- it is not a "whale" sighting area. But, you should see plenty of eagles. At the docks, especially at low tide, there is a whole another world under the water. :) Very colorful starfish- I always see.

Good to know there aren't really any whales. I may just stay in town, then. I do tend to get sea-sick on smaller boats, so why risk it!? You are a wealth of knowledge, Budget Queen. I have been watching your replies on other threads. Much respect to you!

Julie

Make sure that one or more of the salmon runs happen when you are there. The pinks/sockeye that were there mid Sept won't be there May-July. AK Fisheries web site will help. Also plan ahead for what to do with the fish once landed. Catch & release or keep and have guide help with smoking then have shipped back to states at high cost.

Sightcrr

• 1 month later...

We used Oasis Alaska Charters in Ketchikan. We had Captain Murray and he made the trip so much fun. We took one of the 4 Hr. Salmon charters. The best part is it was a private charter so it was just myself and my girlfriend on the boat with Captain Murray.

The weather was very nice and we were told the fishing was not going to be very good because of how warm it was and the problem they had with the Algae Bloom. But I am hear to tell you we caught lots of fish. Oasis Alaska Charters has very good prices and they are very easy to work with.

I would highly recommend them to anyone that wants to go out fishing.:):):)

I booked my husband and son on a Baranof small group (there were only 4 of them) fishing trip. It was worth the extra money to have it semi private. They didn't catch much because it was so warm and the water got rough BUT that was no one's fault except mother nature! The guide was great too! My daughter and I stayed back since we tend to get seasick and we did what most girls do shop and go to the spa!