Breakaway laat minute booking.

judyf

Hello everyone, we just booked the Breakaway for Oct. 18th to Bermuda, a last minute cruise.

I'm working long days to be able to take a week off, so no time to research. I have never cruised on this class ship, can the experts give us the ins and outs.

What is this i'm reading about booking entertainment ahead? I have never done that before on NCL. What are the major differences between the Gem class and this class ships PLEASE!!

What else do we need to know?

Looking forward to any tips or suggestions.

Hello everyone, we just booked the Breakaway for Oct. 18th to Bermuda, a last minute cruise.

I'm working long days to be able to take a week off, so no time to research. I have never cruised on this class ship, can the experts give us the ins and outs.

What is this i'm reading about booking entertainment ahead? I have never done that before on NCL. What are the major differences between the Gem class and this class ships PLEASE!!

What else do we need to know?

Looking forward to any tips or suggestions.

The venues are small and can not hold large numbers of people, so they take reservations.

Being you are last minute you'll need to be flexible, and early in your cruise, go to the box office and sign up for the shows you want to see. If there is something you need on a specific day, and they are sold out, there are standbys which are allowed in, depending on space. BUT, you may not get seats together, or in the better areas.

The venues are small and can not hold large numbers of people, so they take reservations.

Being you are last minute you'll need to be flexible, and early in your cruise, go to the box office and sign up for the shows you want to see. If there is something you need on a specific day, and they are sold out, there are standbys which are allowed in, depending on space. BUT, you may not get seats together, or in the better areas.

Thanks, I stay with NCL now as I love freestyle, making resssies for entertainment takes that away :( on pass cruises we always arrived early to shows for a good seat. Not sure I'm going to like this.

Thanks, I stay with NCL now as I love freestyle, making resssies for entertainment takes that away :( on pass cruises we always arrived early to shows for a good seat. Not sure I'm going to like this.

You can arrive early with the reservations, they only get you in, open seating. That's why I cautioned about the stand by, as that is only opened the last few minutes prior to show start.

Question posted as to differences between Gem class and Breakaway, pretty big difference in size of ship. also, many more passengers and crew.

We found the cabins to be fine, bathroom on Breakaway a little bigger , but balconies on Breakaway versus Gem were smaller on Breakaway. Although we enjoyed the entertainment better on Breakaway, dining venues on Breakaway better than on Gem. We DID do reservations for most of the specialty restaurants only because we sailed in August, and school was not in yet, but for your trip in October, you may be able to wait until you are on board, or stand by. We do recommend Teppanyaki if you can reserve that one, it is limited seating, and if you want to go there, advance reservations would be recommended, even if you have a week or so yet to sail, you could call and reserve , we really enjoyed that one.

One major thing not mentioned there: most shows are not one-night only like on older ships but available several times during the cruise.

It's not like they built a bigger ship, smaller venues and kept on doing entertainment like before.

We love the Gem. Because it is a smaller ship, you get more personalized, friendlier service which is great for me and DH -- but the BA has much more daredevil type activities i.e.- rope course, water slides....

Food: equal

Service: better on the Gem

Shows- some the same (second city, Deal or no Deal, karaoke, musicians, trivia, dance lessons....)

Theater shows: on the BA -2 major ones -rock of ages and Burn the Floor, jazz club, and dueling pianos.......on the Gem there is a nightly show at 7:30 and 9:30 (always double check times). Totally different type entertainment, but always something to do. We didn't like having to make reservations early either, but it wasn't as big a deal as we thought. Didn't really cramp the "freestyle" like I thought it would

Public areas: very small on the BA with activities held in the atrium. The Gem has great spaces with wonderful ocean views--- the spinnaker lounge for events, and the great outdoors (aft) for a wonderful relaxed buffet overlooking the wake of the ship

Either ship is great, and you can't beat sailing from NY. The views alone and going under the bridge is an unbelievable thing!!

Safe sailing

I just booked the Getaway, sister ship to BA, and have been on both frequently. I book my shows before boarding because I want the later times so I can dine in the speciality restaurants. Booking ahead gives u more control over the time of your shows and dinner. It's probably less of an issue if you dine in MDR, but you'd be missing a great experience if you don't dine on the waterfront or at Le Bistro!

We also just booked the Breakaway last minute for Oct. 18. Our only other NCL cruise was on the Dawn 6 years ago (also to Bermuda). I have never heard of having to book your entertainment on any cruise. You just showed up at the grand theater for whatever the show was that evening. So if I book online before going, will there be tickets to the show in my cabin or what? Do we also have to book ahead to play mini golf or use the ropes course? We are excited to be sailing on this huge new ship, but also a bit confused as to how things work. (This ain't Carnival anymore, is it?) LOL

We also just booked the Breakaway last minute for Oct. 18. Our only other NCL cruise was on the Dawn 6 years ago (also to Bermuda). I have never heard of having to book your entertainment on any cruise. You just showed up at the grand theater for whatever the show was that evening. So if I book online before going, will there be tickets to the show in my cabin or what? Do we also have to book ahead to play mini golf or use the ropes course? We are excited to be sailing on this huge new ship, but also a bit confused as to how things work. (This ain't Carnival anymore, is it?) LOL

When you make reservations in advance, they are tied to your booking and then your sea pass card when you board. They scan your sea pass card upon entering, which shows them that you have a reservation for that date and time. You DO NOT need reservations for the mini-golf or ropes course.

For the BA doing the Bermuda run, I do not think it is as imperative to make advance reservations for entertainment as it would be during a busier time of year. You would probably still get seats by going to the box office when you board and I'm not sure there would be much to reserve at this late date anyway. They only accept reservations for so many seats and the remainder are booked at the box office on the ship.

Larger venues, such as Rock of Ages, will most likely have seat availability during low season cruising time. Smaller venues, like Second City, book quickly. The same is true for dining reservations. Smaller restaurants like Le Bistro and Teppanyaki will fill up quickly for the popular 7 pm dining time. If you don't mind dining at 9 pm, book once you get on the ship. Another consideration is that, typically, folks want entertainment on days at sea. I guess people are tired after a day in port.

On my Breakaway Bermuda sailings, the show availability was VERY limited on the sea days, but a lot more availability on the Bermuda days. Probably won't be as diverse in October, compared to in season sailings with a lot more daylight and warmth, though. :)

No, tickets won't be in your cabin. Print out and take with you what you booked. You are better to just keep track of them yourself.

We also just booked the Breakaway last minute for Oct. 18. Our only other NCL cruise was on the Dawn 6 years ago (also to Bermuda). I have never heard of having to book your entertainment on any cruise. You just showed up at the grand theater for whatever the show was that evening. So if I book online before going, will there be tickets to the show in my cabin or what?

Book the Rock of Ages and Burn The Floor shows now. Along with one night at the comedy club. These are electronic bookings and will allow you to scan your key card on the way into the theater. So,,, the Breakaway theater seats 800 people. There are over 4000 passengers on your cruise.

Also, if you are doing specialty dining, book your seats now. If the times are not good, you can wait until you board (when they open up more seating). Since there are more people with the Ultimate Dining Package, seating is becoming harder.

No reservations required for MDRs. Although at peak dining time, there may be a 20 minute wait (you get a beeper to call you to your table).

You can book one show at the Comedy club. We always go standby every night for other shows. Early shows are family oriented. Later shows become more adult oriented.