Changing booking from twin to single

bearone

Hi

I am sorry if this question has recently been addressed, but I plan to drop my son off my Explorer booking in mid November due to unforeseen cirumstances( past final payment now) and am unsure whether to have him as a 'no show' or to formally change my booking to a single traveller. There is no one else I can get to fill his booking and I feel really apprehensive about solo travel but aside from dropping the entire booking, I have no choice. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks :confused:

Hi

I am sorry if this question has recently been addressed, but I plan to drop my son off my Explorer booking in mid November due to unforeseen cirumstances( past final payment now) and am unsure whether to have him as a 'no show' or to formally change my booking to a single traveller. There is no one else I can get to fill his booking and I feel really apprehensive about solo travel but aside from dropping the entire booking, I have no choice. Any advice is really appreciated. Thanks :confused:

I found another thread that really dealt with a death in the family--but, Merion Mom included the information below. It tells what is the penalty for canceling. As you can see depending on the number of days until you sail you can get some of your money back. [if you are mid November it looks like you get 50% of your money back] Also, you will get port charges and taxes back. [often not much money] If you just do not tell anyone you get nothing back.

Edit: Just saw that you are from Australia. You will need to call RCL to see if you have different rules.

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

1 - 5 Nights

60+ No charges

59-43 Deposit amount

42-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

14 or less No refund except for taxes and fees

6 Nights or longer

75+ No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

CruiseTour

75+ No charges

74-57 Deposit amount

56-29 50% of total price (taxes & fees excluded)*

28-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

Holiday Sailings**:

1-5 nights

90+ No charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

63-43 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*

42-15 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)*

6 Nights or longer

90+ No charges

89-64 Deposit Amount

63-43 50% of total price (taxes and fees excluded)*

42-22 75% of total (taxes & fees excluded)**

21 or less No refund (excluding taxes and fees)

* Or deposit amount, whichever is greater.

** Holiday sailings are defined as sailings that occur over Christmas and/or New Year's day.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Hi

Other than getting port fees and taxes back you would not get anything back and could trigger a re pricing of your cruise at today's solo rates.

Best to do a no show at the pier and your port fees and taxes would be refunded.

Hi

I have a friend that recently tried to remove the second person from his booking after final payment date. Royal wanted to reprice his fare at current rates. He waited a few weeks and tried again, This time, there were no more staterooms available in his category, so they could not reprice the cruise, so they just dropped the second person without a change to his price.

Bear in mind that Austrailian booking rules may be different enough that this experience might not apply.

The first time I sailed solo I was also nervous. Many people cruise solo now and I meet so many new people on the ship. The only thing I tend to do differently on a solo cruise is to book more excursions through the ship, it just makes me feel more secure. Have a wonderful cruise.

If you have not already done so, join the roll call for your cruise. You might find there are other solo travelers on the roll call...or others with shared interests. Getting to know some people on line pre-cruise may help you feel you will have a ready supply of friends on board. Enjoy the cruise.

Edited by Starry Eyes

Thanks so much for all the great advice, everyone here is so helpful. I think Bob mentioned repricing the cruise after final payment. I just checked my cruise and there are zero balconies left so that would make it hard for Rccl to reprice my balcony for solo rates. I will wait a bit longer to call and pull my son off the booking. We are doing back to back, so he will be with me on the first cruise so makes it hard to do a no show anyway(I just thought of that scenario).

Perhaps I will meet some friends on board? My all time greatest fear is dining alone and I dislike the buffet so the dining room is my preference. If only I could afford a suite then meals could be served in my room. To upgrade under Aussie booking conditions would mean cancelling the current booking and losing most of the payment and rebooking the suite, so that is not a viable option.:rolleyes:

... Perhaps I will meet some friends on board? My all time greatest fear is dining alone and I dislike the buffet so the dining room is my preference. ...

I see you have already checked into your roll call. That would be the best forum for setting up a singles dining table. Also, there are singles events listed in the Cruise Compass and the Community Bulletin Board, near Guest Services.