Bus system in Old San Juan

AACJ

We are staying a day prior and a day after our cruise, so I am not interested in paying a huge sum of money to a taxi driver just to go from our hotel (the Hyatt) to OSJ. Does anyone know anything about the bus system there? I am talking bus routes and possibly the cost. I went to their website and it is in Spanish.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The buses in San Juan do not follow a schedule. They come when they come. The best advice I can give you is to ask the person at the front desk of your hotel for the bus number you need to get to OSJ. The cost is $0.75 per person. We rode the bus into Old San Juan from both Condado and Isla Verde. You are closer to OSJ than we were. In fact we went past your hotel a couple of times on the bus we were on. You will probably have 2 bus routes that go near your hotel. Just take the first one that comes by. Of course of the correct bus. Ask the driver if the bus is going into OSJ. You don't want to get on a bus heading away from OSJ.

Good idea! I decided to call the hotel yesterday and ask the front desk. A nice gentleman told me the bus stops right around the corner and I should have no problem getting to Old San Juan...he even told me the bus numbers. I'm glad I called, I like to be prepared when I go anywhere, and now I know and won't walk around like a lost tourist!

Thanks for the suggestion.

The buses in San Juan do not follow a schedule. They come when they come. The best advice I can give you is to ask the person at the front desk of your hotel for the bus number you need to get to OSJ. The cost is $0.75 per person. We rode the bus into Old San Juan from both Condado and Isla Verde. You are closer to OSJ than we were. In fact we went past your hotel a couple of times on the bus we were on. You will probably have 2 bus routes that go near your hotel. Just take the first one that comes by. Of course of the correct bus. Ask the driver if the bus is going into OSJ. You don't want to get on a bus heading away from OSJ.

So is it just as easy to get back out of OSJ to your hotel?

Yes. There is a bus station in OSJ. That will probably be where you will get off when coming in from your hotel. Note where it is at when you get off. Then just come back there.

There are signs with the bus numbers. You just take the same bus number back to your hotel. The bus lets people off in one area and then pulls forward into the other area to pick people up. the only thing is the bus driver takes a break after getting there so the bus will not be pulling out for several minutes (sometime 30 minutes or more) That's why is is good to know all the buses that you can take. Sometimes you might take 1 in but another out because it is ready to go first.

I used the bus quite a bit when I first moved here. A couple of tips:

-the bus only accepts exact change - drivers do not make change. I've heard from friends that some drivers will help passengers out, but don't count on it.

-anything more than a small backpack/shoulder bag, some drivers will refuse entry. Again, this is up to the individual driver, but I wouldn't try to bring luggage on the bus.

-If you have any questions about the route, ask people at the stops. Most people are more than willing to help.