Just off NOS - Any questions???

I never really notice those things much, but wouldn't have much tolerance if I did. I know on our most recent trip I did witness a bunch of teens getting into trouble, but mostly it was my daughter saying "wow, mommy, you'd be upset if I did that, right?" She's 8 and I saw a LOT of kids who appeared to be her age with (what I consider) WAY too much freedom on the ship.

This past cruise was her 3rd and I have such a hard time letting go... only a couple of times did I let her go off with a 12 year old friend (who we know from home) to get ice cream.

It will be nice to see a different ice show (since we've seen the same one 2x now). I couldn't talk her out of the western itinerary, since she wants to climb DRF again... didn't matter either way to me, so I went with what she wanted since it meant so much to her.

I noticed in your entertainment you didn't mention a Beatles rendition group. Did you not have this on the ship ? We were told a really good beatles group was on Navigator ??

Nope-there wasn't any group like that on board. I'm not sure how the entertainers rotate (or if they do?) among ships. All the entertainment was good so I don't feel I missed out...but if you were hoping for someone specific, I guess it would be a let down.

I had just looked at a thread from a Navigator cruise in August and they were the headline for Day 6. I guess we will just miss them in the rotation. One thing we know we are looking forward to tomorrow is that this is Captain Bang's first time back at the helm after a 2 month vacation.

The reason I was curious about the Beatles group is because of my sister. She loves the Beatles. Last year a Beatles group was supposed to be on Explorer and she was so excited, and they got bumped that week for The Osmond Brothers. And now there was supposed to be another Beatles group aboard (at least as of August) and now she may be disappointed 2 years in a row. Anyway, thanks for the info, we leave for the airport in 30 minutes........Bon Voyage......

Hi loveto~

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

Did you happen to go to Chops or Portofinos? Reviews or Opinons would be great. I've also read where the only ice cream machine that WORK are by the pool. Is that true?

One more thing...what time did you get to the pier and what time did you finally get onboard?

Thanks again, Kelly

Hi loveto~

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

Did you happen to go to Chops or Portofinos? Reviews or Opinons would be great. I've also read where the only ice cream machine that WORK are by the pool. Is that true?

One more thing...what time did you get to the pier and what time did you finally get onboard?

Thanks again, Kelly

Kelly-My DH really wanted to go to Chops but I opted not to & save some $$. However, we had a group at our dinner table that tried all the restaurants. They were VERY impressed w/Chops! The were making fun of the baked potatoes at dinner the next night b/c they were so small compared to the ones at chops. They said it was worth the $$.

Ice cream-Machines outside are on starboard side of pool deck. As far as I know, the machine inside the Windjammer also worked - I remember people walking around w/ice cream. I found it convenient to get it outside while at pool. Nice treat for those HOT days!

Pier-Just be prepared...the boarding process takes a little time. I believe we got there around noon-then we were on board at around 1:30pm. There is a security screen/check you must go thru (similar to airport screening) and then you wait in line to check-in. The check-in line was moving pretty slow (we were told it was due to people not having completed the on-line check in process & then not having all appropriate travel documents/ID pulled out & ready to show. I went prepared so it took us about 3 minutes to check-in.

What kind of entertainment was in the Viking Crown Lounge? Years ago we sailed on the V.O.S. and they had jazz and dance bands in that lounge area. We really enjoyed the entertainers up there. We are curious about the entertainment on your cruise in the V.C. Lounge as we are on the N.O. S. in a few weeks.

Little Feet-We didn't frequent that particular lounge but it appears that the entertainment is in the Cosmopolitan Club (same deck-14) and is 'Relaxing Piano Melodies' during late afternoons and then 'Dancing, Standards and Jazz' late night. No mention of any entertainment for Viking Crown-I believe the area is kindof open...could be heard through Deck 14.

So glad to meet you and Nathan. Sorry I didn't get to meet Dan. Boy, am I glad we didn't dive in Cozumel! I'm still freaking about those stingrays in Grand Cayman! They were huge! (And that was the females!) We bought some Jamaican music CDs at the Mahoghony Beach club- we have made so many copies for our friends. We bought some beautiful Mexican blankets and pottery in Cozumel as well as matching ESQ Swiss (Movado) gold and diamond watches in Diamonds International in downtown San Miguel. Cruising is a way to experience things we don't normally do.. we tried different foods, drinks, shore excursions, shopping and sightseeing..and we got to meet some really great people. We have lots of great pictures too!

Happy Cruising!!! Jane and Bob

Hey there Jane! I told Nathan the only way I'm not getting depressed from being back home is to keep coming here to the boards. That way I can scope out our next adventure! Not sure yet-maybe the Mex.Riviera or So.Caribbean. It was such a great trip! People ask "Did you have a great time?" and I know they just want a 'yes' answer but I really want to tell them all the details! That's why I like the boards so much-I can share our trip w/people who REALLY want to hear what you did, etc. So many people just can't believe that we did the Canopy Tour. Nathan took the video camera w/us & we've watched it. Oh my goodness! I'd do it again in a heartbeat though! Especially now that I know what the 'surprises' were!

Speaking of Stingrays, we got our CD from the photographer that was onboard our trip. We booked & went with Captain Bryan's Buccaneer (only 8 people). For $55 she sent us a CD with all the pictures of us that she took plus some underwater pictures of the rays & some pictures of the catamaran. So, I think we've got about 20+ pictures for $55 on a disk that we can print, etc. - too bad the ship can't be as economical with their pictures! Did you take any pictures of the Coast Guard helicopter doing the evacuation? Our video camera decided it didn't like the weather that AM (too much humidity) & wouldn't work but I got some good shots of the chopper w/the camera. Someone at our table said it was a 77 yr. old gentleman who had a heart attack. So sad!

Overall, I think this was our best cruise ever. We met some great people, had a super time w/our dinner table each night (a table for 14!) and had a great time w/our excursions (Just wish that scuba had been a little better!). Maybe one day we'll be on another cruise together...until then, Happy sailing & I'll see you around here on the boards!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

we had a fab time on the cruise , still talking about it , and are now planning to do it again next year.

Nice to meet you all at the meet and mingle.

A question for 'vacation bound' why is Serenade better than NOS?

We had thought we would do the Easter cruis on 23 Sept next year but have not booked yet.

Regards

Linda

Hi Linda,

Both ships are great, it is just a matter of personal preference that I like the Serenade better. JUst a different feel....smaller, more upscale, and seems less crowded since there tends to be less children on board. When we get off the larger ships I know there are areas I never even saw. I felt like I had time to explore all parts of the Serenade...simply a more personal feel. Depends on what you want.

You cannot go wrong with either!

Lori (vacationbound)

Hi everyone, we had a fab time on the cruise , still talking about it , and are now planning to do it again next year.

Nice to meet you all at the meet and mingle.

Regards

Linda

Hey Linda! Glad to see I'm not the only one on here cruising around (no pun intended! :D ) for the next vacation to take! It was great to get to meet you...I've run into a few folks (Jane-Crockett, Dan-Dbrady) while posting. The Navigator was super! I really believe it was one of our best vacations ever!

This is weird folks...I posted the last post yesterday but it never bumped the message back up to the top of the listing nor did it register that I had even posted. Strange...

Any cmore questions for those of you going on the Navigator?

my husband and i are going on our first cruise, oh my gosh, i cant wait. i have alot of ??? . we are booked in room 8638 aft on the port side in oct 2006. what are the formal nights like, and days onboard ship. its an eastern cruise have you ever been and any info on the excursions? thanks, vo922:)

We loved the formal nights and wished there had been more.

About 50 % of the people got dressed up , long sparkly frocks for the ladies and Tuxedos for the men.

It was great just cruising up and down the promenade watching everyone. We had formal pictures taken and they now have pride of place in my living room , every time I look at them I get a warm feeling....

On the down side we did see some folks in the same clothes all the time but heh everyone has a choice.

My advise would be get dressed up and enjoy it. we did.

On the more casulal nights I still wore a nice dress or a sparkly top and pants, it was all part of the total experience one which we intend repeating.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time

We spent the days on board sitting in the sun and watching the pool antics. We sat by the main pools not the Adults only one, that one was almost all in the shade and was either full of half drunk loud people in the Spa or very old people sleeping with their mouths open in the shade. But if you don't want to sit in the sun there is lots going of all round the ship from dawn until the early hours of the morning, you will not be bored or short of something to do.

Do you have any kids that accompanied you on the cruise? We are going spring break with kids age 11 - 13 - 18 and wondering about the organized activities for the younger ones. Also any information to share regarding the teen disco and fuel would be helpful.

Also, did they show movies in the day time in the theater?

Does anyone know the difference, if any between Voyager and Navigator?

I believe for the most part, the ships are quite similar. Some notable differences are the following:

1. VOS does not have Chops or Jade

2. NOS has Fuel Teen Disco-VOS does not

Otherwise, all areas the same (different decor/different 'area' names).

Do you have any kids that accompanied you on the cruise? We are going spring break with kids age 11 - 13 - 18 and wondering about the organized activities for the younger ones. Also any information to share regarding the teen disco and fuel would be helpful.

Also, did they show movies in the day time in the theater?

Unfortunately, I can't give you any first hand info on the kids programs...we vacationed minus our 2 DDs. However, from what I saw (I did a little investigative work on the ship in case we ever wanted to bring the kids) there was plenty to keep the kids busy.:)

Movies were shown I believe 2x/day in the theater...no popcorn though!:(

We did manage to take in a movie while on board. Just make sure you get there a little early-the theatre is on the small side & fills up fast!

Archived