What wil I need to know about pricing?

barante

It's been about a decade since we last patronized NCL (the old Norwegian Crown, Dawn). We are now considering a Christmas cruise for 2016. We have time to mull over this.

What will I need to know about getting the best deal? Are there any predictable sales I should look for?

Definitely shop around. Norwegian does have great deals but other travel sites may offer a little extra. I know that AMEX (like others) will give you OBC depending on what room category you stay in.

Right now until the end of the month NCL has their Freestyle choice promotion which gives you free packages based on the room. After that you'll have to see what new promotion is going on.

Book over 9 months out and get a straight 5% discount via AARP. No age limit to joining AARP; they'll take anyone.

^This.... True story. We joined AARP because we could get the cruise discount. The cruise savings severely outweighed the cost of joining and there are many other discounts provided by AARP and all you need is the card!

Lots of kids, last year on the Star there were 800 kids onboard at Xmas.

I agree; when we are able we take cruises when the children are in school. Not that we don't like children, per se, we cruise for the "peace & quiet".

Mike

Pom by Birth; Retired Coin Collecting Kiwi by Choice.

It's been about a decade since we last patronized NCL (the old Norwegian Crown, Dawn). We are now considering a Christmas cruise for 2016. We have time to mull over this.

What will I need to know about getting the best deal? Are there any predictable sales I should look for?

We just went through this. I watched online sites daily for 2 months and watched prices go up. I was nearly resigned to a 5 night instead of a 7 when low and behold the very cruise that I wanted dropped to half price. Now you have to realize that I am frugal, alright cheap, but when I can get what I want, when and where I want it for half price, I am there. I learned a lot about pricing. There were 2 online TAs that offered this discount and the site that I have used for years never budged and inch.

So my best advice is to compare different sites and check them often. The cruise that we booked was on sale for 3 days right after Labor Day. The price has now tripled.

BTW, the week of Christmas Is 2 or 3 times higher than the 2 weeks before. If you really want to save money, keep this in mind.

Book over 9 months out and get a straight 5% discount via AARP. No age limit to joining AARP; they'll take anyone.

Thanks! I just booked the Epic for Jan 2017 and am using AARP discount!

I was told by the the NCL Cruise Consultant that these discounts are generally offered to booking dates that are 9 or more months away.

Epic is coming to my homeport (Canaveral) from Europe, will remain here for about 5 months before returning to Europe. The opportunity and incentives were there! Why not? So nice to try something new!

The time of year you choose to cruise will definitely be a factor in pricing.

Basic rule of thumb: If kids are in school, it will be less expensive. Avoid holiday weeks at all costs.

If you are thinking about the Caribbean, the most affordable weeks are usually between October thru December (with the holidays being an exception) Early November and early December have always been very affordable choices. After New Years the Caribbean high season begins and prices go up significantly.

Other destinations, well, you can get an idea from the dates and prices online as to which weeks are best.

Just remember that October remains smack dab in hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Ships can and will rearrange itineraries if there's an active storm when you're sailing. IMHO that's the great thing about a cruise ship vs a resort; the ship can go where the storm isn't! :D

peakofseason.gif

Edited by dd2355