Getaway dining room differences

Fishymom

Taste and Savor are about the same size. with the same menu.

Tropicana is larger and features a dance floor and live music. The dress code is dressier than the other 2 with collared shirts and long pants required for men. No shorts. No T-shirts. Same menu.

We are just off the Getaway, and dined in Tropicana almost every night. Long pants aren't required. My husband wore shorts and a collared shirt every night. I wore a sundress or a top and shorts. Our kids also dressed casually.

Also, reservations aren't required in Taste, Savor or Tropicana, although I did see lines at Tropicana a few times. We never had to wait for a table all week long and we dined in the main dining rooms every night except for the one night we dined at the Illusionarium.

Edited by CruiseKat8

We are just off the Getaway, and dined in Tropicana almost every night. Long pants aren't required. My husband wore shorts and a collared shirt every night. I wore a sundress or a top and shorts. Our kids also dressed casually.

Whilst your husband was able to wear shorts in Tropicana, it's worth clarifying that they are specifically not allowed as per the dress code, so others may have a different experience on their cruises.

Whilst your husband was able to wear shorts in Tropicana, it's worth clarifying that they are specifically not allowed as per the dress code, so others may have a different experience on their cruises.

We had no idea and nobody ever said a word to us.

I'm sure, and it wasn't a criticism. I just thought I'd clarify it for anyone reading. It does seem to be fairly randomly applied.

I guess we didn't do our research. I thought that pants were only required in some of the specialty dining restaurants. I don't remember noticing if anyone else was in shorts or not. Oops!

Looking at making some reservations for the week of Thanksgiving. What, if any, are the differences between Taste, Savor and Tropicana? aside from atmosphere.

All three are the GA's main dining rooms. The Tropicana will often have live entertainment in the early evening. Once or twice a cruise, the dancers from Burn the Floor will do a show in the Tropicana (you would need to queue before the dining room opens to get a dancefloor-side table).

Tropicana is [very slightly] more formal.

All will get busy during peak dinner hours, but the dining room staff does an excellent job at turning around tables rapidly.

What, if any, are the differences between Taste, Savor and Tropicana? aside from atmosphere.

Aside from the live entertainment in the Tropicana, the main difference is atmosphere. The Trop is supposed to evoke the feel of the old Fontainebleau Hotel in 1950s Miami, although the Fontainbleau back then looked quite different from the Getaway's MDR. Taste and Savor have a cosmopolitan feel, when empty. Much of this vibe is lost when these twin dining rooms are filled with scores of very casually attired folks.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

Also, reservations aren't required in Taste, Savor or Tropicana, although I did see lines at Tropicana a few times. We never had to wait for a table all week long and we dined in the main dining rooms every night except for the one night we dined at the Illusionarium.

That's promising to here. What time about were you going to dinner with no waits if you recall?

That's promising to here. What time about were you going to dinner with no waits if you recall?

We generally went to dinner around 6:00....a couple times we went later (7-8:00ish). Even when there was a line, it moved pretty quickly.

No reservations are accepted in MDR (except for large parties). If you want a dance-floor-side seat on the nights that the dancers perform, have someone from your group go down about 45 mins before opening to queue with the rest of the party showing up about 15 minutes before opening.

It's a short show, maybe 15-20 minutes, but it is fun to see the dancers up close and personal during dinner.

We were just on the 10/3 sailing and loved, loved, loved Tropicana. Walked right in every night when we dined between 6:00 and 7:00, waited maybe 3 or 4 minutes the one night we dined at 7:30ish. Food was fantastic, as well. Enjoy.

Cheers.

No reservations are accepted in MDR (except for large parties). If you want a dance-floor-side seat on the nights that the dancers perform, have someone from your group go down about 45 mins before opening to queue with the rest of the party showing up about 15 minutes before opening.

It's a short show, maybe 15-20 minutes, but it is fun to see the dancers up close and personal during dinner.

A table right there on the edge of the Tropicana dance floor is certainly thrilling, but be mindful that the Burn the Floor dancers work up a really really really good sweat, so when they do those dozens of snap spins, the perspiration really flies. Sometimes, you get far more than you've bargained for in a ringside seat.

• 2 months later...