Food heroes

emmalu73

Surely it can't be just me that cringes when P&O repeatedly refer to these "cooks" as Food Heroes. Heroes are our soldiers who risk life and limb in Iraq and Afghanistan, what's the worst that can happen to these "cooks", they cut their finger with a kitchen knife. Please P&O stop degrading our troops by misusing the word "Heroes", complain at every opportunity.:eek:

P&O are far from the only ones to use this term - it's generally used in the context of people who grow/produce/make "real" food, i.e. the likes of Jimmy (of Jimmy's Farm) farm, people who farm rare breed pigs, heritage vegetables and the like. It's one of those buzz words that will die a death in a year or so.

My personal bugbear is everyone being called an "icon", when they've only been in their chosen profession for the blink of an eye, let alone the fact that it's not being correctly used anyway. I used to yell at the TV/radio and moan about it, now I just let it wash over me.

I quite agree that the work done by these cooks/chefs bears no comparison to the job done by our troops, policemen, firemen, nursing staff, doctors... but will P&O, or anyone else for that matter, take any notice if I complain? Certainly not.

If one of those celebrity cooks could rescue my wife from the food she tries to cook then they are definitely "heroes" in my view!

Our kids have had to learn to cook for themselves. It's called survival in our house!

Edited by Esprit

If one of those celebrity cooks could rescue my wife from the food she tries to cook then they are definitely "heroes" in my view!

Our kids have had to learn to cook for themselves. It's called survival in our house!

Think you might be on what my dear dad always referred to as "silent butties" for tonight's dinner after those comments Esprit! :D

Surely it can't be just me that cringes when P&O repeatedly refer to these "cooks" as Food Heroes. Heroes are our soldiers who risk life and limb in Iraq and Afghanistan, what's the worst that can happen to these "cooks", they cut their finger with a kitchen knife. Please P&O stop degrading our troops by misusing the word "Heroes", complain at every opportunity.:eek:

You must be really upset to have joined the Forum to make that first post. What about them giving a military discount? Was that worth a mention?

The dictionary definition:a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities

Presumably they may well have noble qualities & in my opinion michelin stars count as outstanding achievements so I dont have a problem & am sure it doesnt detract in any way from other heroes.