Help with a friend's unfortunate situation, please!

BigB0882

My friend has a cruise booked for Dec 6th out of New Orleans. He had a room booked with a friend. Unfortunately she passed away very suddenly this week. What should he do? I don't think he is quite to final payment and they haven't paid in full yet. Will there be a charge at this point to change the passenger? Would Carnival waive a change-name fee considering the circumstances? It is a horrible situation and money isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but I want to make sure he doesn't end up having to pay double as a solo if he cancels her or she is a no-show.

Condolences on the loss of a cruise mate.

Sailing out of NO on Dec 6th means a Dream cruise 7 day. Final payment would have been September 22nd.

Options

Find someone to sail with them to split the cost

or

Sail solo and cover the cost .

They might get Carnival to waive the fee but really that is what insurance if supposed to cover. The fee before final payment will be based on the rate booked and how close to sailing. Since this sailing is past final payment date they are in penalty phase. The closer to sail day the greater the penalty.

Your friend needs to act now.

IF he wants to go solo, and doesn't mind paying the balance due (the cost of the cabin remains the same, except for the port charges and fees) ...they never have to be told! If he wants someone else to go, you will have to do a name change...that's the only way to get the other person on the ship. He needs to call and pose a "What if" question...

Condolences on the loss of a cruise mate.

Sailing out of NO on Dec 6th means a Dream cruise 7 day. Final payment would have been September 22nd.

Options

Find someone to sail with them to split the cost

or

Sail solo and cover the cost .

They might get Carnival to waive the fee but really that is what insurance if supposed to cover. The fee before final payment will be based on the rate booked and how close to sailing. Since this sailing is past final payment date they are in penalty phase. The closer to sail day the greater the penalty.

Your friend needs to act now.

I thought the same about due date. If it wasn't paid, it may have been already cancelled.

My brother passed away in February. He was booked to cruise this Saturday with us. When we got around to calling Carnival, they were very understanding. We did have to supply a death Certificate, but they did cancel him with no penalties, and did refund all money paid.

They say things like "get insurance" but generally will work with you on this kind of thing. Since final payment has been made, I may just treat it as a no show (avoid paying single supplement) or you could ask if they would waive the change name fee if someone else is able to join??

Good luck, and condolences.

My brother passed away in February. He was booked to cruise this Saturday with us. When we got around to calling Carnival, they were very understanding. We did have to supply a death Certificate, but they did cancel him with no penalties, and did refund all money paid.

They say things like "get insurance" but generally will work with you on this kind of thing. Since final payment has been made, I may just treat it as a no show (avoid paying single supplement) or you could ask if they would waive the change name fee if someone else is able to join??

Good luck, and condolences.

I am so very sorry at the loss of your brother and very glad Carnival was willing to be flexible with the cruise fare refund.

I think the difference between your situation and OP's, yours occurred 8 months prior to cruising OP is less than 8 weeks.

Time is always a factor. Sometimes one day will make a difference.

Please have a wonderful cruise and recall many happy memories of your brother.

My friend is insistent that the final payment date is in November. I don't know what is going on with that, I verified that it was on the Dream but he has 2 cruises booked. Perhaps the December cruise is the one on NCL and the one on the Dream is in January. Would a late January cruise have a final payment date in November?

Last year our daughter got in a very bad car accident (broke her neck) one week before our cruise. Carnival was very good to us. We had to send in a letter from her doctor saying she needed 24 hour care. They let us cancel with NO penalty, held the money we paid and we had 2 years from then to book and complete a cruise. This was fine with us since we cruise every year. We were very blessed, our daughter is fine now and my husband and I are booked on the Sunshine next month. Call Carnival.

My friend is insistent that the final payment date is in November. I don't know what is going on with that, I verified that it was on the Dream but he has 2 cruises booked. Perhaps the December cruise is the one on NCL and the one on the Dream is in January. Would a late January cruise have a final payment date in November?

Are you able to meet with him and see his paperwork? Perhaps you are simply going on hearsay. If that's the case we can go in circles with no accurate answers;)

Yes, exactly!! We are booked for January 30, 2016 and our final payment is due on November 16, 2015.

It is also possible that they booked under one of many Carnival promotions. I know that some of those promotions come with an extended final payment date such as 30-days prior instead of 75. We booked ES for a cruise in 2014 and then price matched to one of their sales and when we did that our final payment date changed.