Diamonds in the Sky! :) - please help with advice

EscaladeHybrid

Hi guys,

From what I am reading it looks like St.Maartin has good shopping. I think I would want to buy some diamonds but I am always worried whether it’s all legit and all that because diamonds have such a variety and grade quality so it’s kinda very hard to know whether you are getting a deal. I would be interested in some earrings. Can somebody recommend here good reputable shops with diamonds? From your experience when you bought there and returned home for appraisal, what was the outcome? Was it a good deal? Or basically the same price as you would buy it home? Or perhaps island’s prices even more expensive? Please let me know, looking forward to hearing from you because really want to buy me some new “goodies”!  thanks a lot.

Thanks Gary. I checked out the posts, lots of valuable info and of course not as easy as I thought and not very straightforward but will try to navigate in this market

I'm not sure what isn't straightforward or easy.

Perhaps the 'not easy' is that you'll need to do your homework before you go, but if you know what you want;

As I said in an earlier post, which you should have found in your search, Your best tool is education. Learn about diamonds and other jewels for what makes a quality stone or setting. Check prices online and at home.

Then take your notes on your cruise and check prices for the SAME items that you priced earlier. If you want a fancy setting, with accessory stones and such, then, yes, it would be a lot more complicated, but if you just want simple studs, you should be good to go.

That said, we have our three shops that we have been visiting for years, decades in some cases.

gary

And what are the 3 shops can you remind me so I will write down here...

At first I did think about the studs but now I changed my mind, studs are too simple, I would like some fancy earrings, I see mostly earrings have little stones clustered beside each other creating some sort of pattern, I think this one will be hard to put a price tag on since they give you the total amount of carats but in reality those are just little stones that worth probably pennies because they are so small... I have done my research and it looks like 1 carat of decent colour I/J and some imperfections will cost around $1000 but again it is the price for the whole stone as one piece and not those little bit and pieces that make up in total 1 carat....

I mean something like this

http://www.caribbeangems.com/diamond-jewelry/earrings/diamond-earings-83.html

http://www.caribbeangems.com/diamond-jewelry/earrings/diamond-earings-76.html

http://www.caribbeangems.com/diamond-jewelry/earrings/diamond-cross-earings.html

And what are the 3 shops can you remind me so I will write down here...

At first I did think about the studs but now I changed my mind, studs are too simple, I would like some fancy earrings, I see mostly earrings have little stones clustered beside each other creating some sort of pattern, I think this one will be hard to put a price tag on since they give you the total amount of carats but in reality those are just little stones that worth probably pennies because they are so small... I have done my research and it looks like 1 carat of decent colour I/J and some imperfections will cost around $1000 but again it is the price for the whole stone as one piece and not those little bit and pieces that make up in total 1 carat....

I mean something like this

http://www.caribbeangems.com/diamond-jewelry/earrings/diamond-earings-83.html

http://www.caribbeangems.com/diamond-jewelry/earrings/diamond-earings-76.html

http://www.caribbeangems.com/diamond-jewelry/earrings/diamond-cross-earings.html

Rather than exchange thoughts and designs on CC, may one suggest you engage with our reputable Jeweller direct.

DIAMOND JEWELLERS

74 FRONT STREET

ST MAARTEN

Contact Kamal (Kevin)

Tel: 011-599 542 4481

Fax: 011-599 542 4262

E-mail diamonds@sintmaarten.net

Mention the Verve Clicquot man sent you.;)

Edited by PORT ROYAL

Of course, all suggestions are welcomed. That's why I came here. I already emailed your contact so will see what he offers. Some that replied already offered me 0.75 carat for $750 without any further information. I think they think that I am a bimbo of some sort!!!! Without mentioning neither clarity, cut and colour, they think that I will folk out under a grand. I understand that for some folks it's not real money and for me either, it's 2 trips to groceries stores for me, but I am not silly either to pay for the air.....

Of course, all suggestions are welcomed. That's why I came here. I already emailed your contact so will see what he offers. Some that replied already offered me 0.75 carat for $750 without any further information. I think they think that I am a bimbo of some sort!!!! Without mentioning neither clarity, cut and colour, they think that I will folk out under a grand. I understand that for some folks it's not real money and for me either, it's 2 trips to groceries stores for me, but I am not silly either to pay for the air.....

I to would stay away from that (?) ... deal?

With the Canadian $ so low right now I'm not sure that now is the best time to purchase a diamond in St. Maarten unless you are smart and have a US bank account and exchanged lots of money when our dollar was higher than the US $. We did but kept using that as an excuse to vacation and it's gone now.:eek::D

Yea, you are so right about Canadian dollar being at its lowest point. When I take the price, I have to convert it into Canadian which becomes even more.... I know but still it would be nice to return back with some nice stone, even a little one, that way when I look at it, it will remind me of my first vacation with the baby! I simply don't want to buy any jewelry locally for that matter. I like to have something that reminds me of good times. you know what I mean?

So far he offered me the following: colour H-I, clarify SI1, 1 carat =$1,595, 0.75 c = $750 and 0.5 c = $499. I compared prices with bluenile.com and it gives me for the same characteristics 1c = 2,300CAD, 0.75=1,400 CAD, 0.5=950CAD.

So I guess prices are not bad. It looks like the bigger the diamond, the more of a deal you get. I don't want to spend that much and maybe will rethink about diamond studs in favour of some pattern diamonds earrings, with some design which will probably be impossible to put a comparison because it will consist of little diamonds vs a solid stone....

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am back and happy to report that I did buy some diamonds The experience wasn’t great. I tried to visit a couple of shops where I felt that I was cheated all the time. 1k earrings, he takes out the calculator and tells me $5K. I didn’t see any deals at all and it was basically waste of my beach time. Thanks God that before coming I emailed back and force with Vince from Royal Jewellers and came to his shop where he showed me what we have discussed before and gave me good price right away without calculator’s BS and without wasting my time on haggling. I hate the experience to be honest. Why each diamond doesn’t have price tag on it with it’s characteristics, instead you have to ask about everything. Didn’t like it at all, if didn’t talk with Vince before, probably wouldn’t buy anything at all….