Yellow fever waiver

Silky6

I am booked on a cruise that travels up the Amazon to Santarem in February. I went to see my doctor to sort out my yellow fever vaccine only to be told I can’t have it as I am on corticosteroids. I have had injections in the past no problem but apparently this one is a live vaccine, which makes a difference. I can get an exemption waiver but really wanted to know if anyone else had been on a similar cruise without the vaccine? Will this cause me problems? How did you protect yourself against the mosquitoes and were you allowed off at the ports? (We are stopping at Trinidad and Santarem both of which require the vaccine)

According to http://www.netdoctor.co.uk Yellow Fever vaccinations are recommended for Brazil and Trinidad. I take this as meaning it would be desirable to have had them before arriving however I do not infer that they are a compulsory regulation. Where you come from originally and just prior to arriving is also an issue but UK seems fine. This is different to what you have indicated the situation to be.

There are a number of insect and mosquito repellent sprays on the market generally available from pharmacies. Taking Quinine is supposed to be good in changing the scent of ones perspiration somehow making you less susceptible to attack. Quinine is available in Indian Tonic Water and Irn Bru.

I suggest you make wider inquiries through NHS and websites regarding this and whether solutions are suitable for you personally.

Regards John

Thanks for replying so promptly. I took a look at the website you suggested and you are right the vaccine is only a recommendation but the cruise line will not let us board without the vaccine or an exemption waiver. So I really wanted to know if not having the vaccination would cause me problems with any of the port authorities or whether the waiver is accepted readily by them. Obviously I will be taking precautions against being bitten but also interested to find out firsthand if mosquitoes are a real problem on an Amazon cruise.

Hi Silky6, we did an Amazon cruise, although it was 14 years ago, we had to have a certificate to be allowed on the flight over but once over there we were not asked to show it at any of the ports.

I should think its just the cruise company covering themselves.

We went in November and did a jungle trek out of Manaus, I don,t remember having any trouble with the mossies, although there were plenty of bigger bugs flying about of a night attracted by the light on the ship. You could see the crew sweeping the up of a morning.

Hope you get it sorted as its a great experience, don't forget your binoculars.

Rick.

Thank you. That is reassuring. We are not intending on going on any jungle treks either.Maybe just an excursion to see the meeting of the waters before heading back to the boat.

We booked a private trip with Gil Serique in Santerem it was an amazing experience. If you google him his website gives you load of info.

Molly

When I was in Venezuela we used a high percentage DEET possibly DEET 50% and it was pretty effective on keeping them away. However upon a leakage of the DEET it actually disintegrated a friends passport - even the plastic! Makes you wonder what you are actually putting on your skin!

Simonpjd - The trouble is because of my medication it would be dangerous for me to have the vaccination so this is not an option!

Thanks Rick - Well we are flying to Barbados so it will be up to the cruise company and they say they except the waiver. Just hope I can get off at the Amazon ports! Really hope it all works out – and what a good idea - I will definitely take some binoculars.

Molly, I will take a look at the trips offered by Gill Serique – thanks.

Ulster cruiser- I have heard that you can get Deet 100% - goodness knows what damage that could do!!

Simonpjd - The trouble is because of my medication it would be dangerous for me to have the vaccination so this is not an option!

Thanks Rick - Well we are flying to Barbados so it will be up to the cruise company and they say they except the waiver. Just hope I can get off at the Amazon ports! Really hope it all works out – and what a good idea - I will definitely take some binoculars.

Molly, I will take a look at the trips offered by Gill Serique – thanks.

Ulster cruiser- I have heard that you can get Deet 100% - goodness knows what damage that could do!!

Silky6

Yellow Fever's a killer so don't take any risks with bite prevention. Have you thought of anti mosi clothing from someone like

http://www.craghoppers.com/nosilife-collection-aw15

I've only just started looking into this as obviously hadn't realised it would be a problem getting the vaccine! I found a spray that you can coat your clothing with and thought that (together with using a strong Deet spray) this would be a good option, as then all my clothes would be less agreeable to mossies!! I will take a look at the site you mentioned too - thanks.

Another tip is to use Avon skin so soft original dry oil spray. My other half is loved by mozzies but as well as using deet he uses this, and even in the far east (Thailand and Malaysia) it seems to keep them at bay.

I will see if I can find the make of Deet spray we use, it was recommended by the nurse who did our yellow fever jabs.

Molly

Another tip is to use Avon skin so soft original dry oil spray. My other half is loved by mozzies but as well as using deet he uses this, and even in the far east (Thailand and Malaysia) it seems to keep them at bay.

I will see if I can find the make of Deet spray we use, it was recommended by the nurse who did our yellow fever jabs.

Molly

Thanks Molly. I do have some Avon skin so soft - I used it last year in Europe and didn't get a single bite!!! Didn't realise it could be used alongside Deet - good tip!!

Hi the army uses avon skin so soft to stop bites-amazing what you find out!!

I also purchased something called

Incognito Natural Anti-Mozzie Insect Camouflage Spray DEET free Insect Repellent (100Ml)

This was very very good. You could spray it on clothing as well.

I stopped using deet when I read the warnings on the bottle. Yes it does melt plastic and glasses and some clothing etc. After reading all the warnings I decided the best thing to do was find something else to put on my skin.

The Avon I used when we were up in Scotland during the midge season, and I only got bit when I forgot to put it on one day..

Deet bad...

This is from someone who if I don't take precautions once ended up with 40+ bites on one leg...

Done the Amazon cruise on two occasions.Had the yellow fever vaccinations for both trips and we were never asked for the yellow fever card at any time on either cruise.Nor did we see any mosquitos either on the ship or on the many excursions undertaken.

From what I remember re the yellow fever jabs is, it is not only for your protection but some country's will not allow you in to theirs if you have been to country's that has yellow fever. Also but don't quote me!! An exemption certificate from your GP stating the reason you cannot have the YF injection is sufficient, have you spoken to P&O? We had to show our certificate but I can't remember at what port......sorry.

We were on the same trip as Molly ......hi Molly!......with Gil, brilliant trip, when we asked Gil about YF he said there hadn't been a case in years, so I do think it is the country's you are going to after.

Have a fab cruise.....