Splendor vs. Glory vs. Freedom

Caraec

Good afternoon! I am planning to take my 21-year-old daughter on a Mother/Daughter Cruise after her school semester ends in May. She would like a Western Caribbean itinerary. My daughter works at a church and cannot do a Sunday-Sunday cruise, as that would have her missing two Sundays.

For the dates that will work for her, we are considering one of the following:

-6-Day Splendor out of Miami (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)

-7-day Glory out of Miami (Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay, Belize, Cozumel)

Since we have to fly anyway (from Nashville), we could also do

-7-day Freedom out of Galveston (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).

While we are not precisely cruise virgins, we are pretty inexperienced. We did a 7-day Disney Eastern Caribbean a number of years ago and have also done a weekend RCI cruise to the Bahamas.

I have gone through a number of the CC reviews and expert reviews and am pretty overwhelmed. What are your thoughts about these three options?

Thank you!

I really cannot tell you which would be best as I have not yet cruised any of these. However, we researched and ended up booking the Glory on the same. itinerary. We sail Saturday. I am sure that wasn't much help, and I am sure all three would be so much fun for you both. Good luck with the decision!

I haven't been on Glory or Splendor, I have been on Freedom twice. I love the Freedom, since it has the 2.0 upgrades. Glory also has the 2.0 upgrades and Splendor will get them in March. I would do a 7 day over a 6 day. Miami is more convenient to fly into then Houston and then get transportation to Galveston. Overall for me, it would come down to price.

Thank you so much for your replies. I appreciate the advice about Miami vs. Galveston too.

The cost is not *that* much of an issue between both Miami options. I guess I just need to research the ports a bit more.

Splendor = Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Glory = Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay, Belize, Cozumel

• 3 weeks later...
Good afternoon! I am planning to take my 21-year-old daughter on a Mother/Daughter Cruise after her school semester ends in May. She would like a Western Caribbean itinerary. My daughter works at a church and cannot do a Sunday-Sunday cruise, as that would have her missing two Sundays.

-6-Day Splendor out of Miami (Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)

-7-day Glory out of Miami (Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay, Belize, Cozumel)

Since we have to fly anyway (from Nashville), we could also do

-7-day Freedom out of Galveston (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel).

While we are not precisely cruise virgins, we are pretty inexperienced. We did a 7-day Disney Eastern Caribbean a number of years ago and have also done a weekend RCI cruise to the Bahamas.

I have gone through a number of the CC reviews and expert reviews and am pretty overwhelmed. What are your thoughts about these three options?

Thank you!

If you scroll down and see the ships I have been on, all with my daughter who is now 35, I can tell you that BY FAR, the best cruise for her was the sister ship of the Glory, the Valor, and the best itinerary if I were to choose between your two would be the 4 port Western Caribbean. Hands down!!! I knew my daughter (blonde) would hate the aggressive locals as soon as she left the port in Ocho Rios. Roatan was heavenly, and there are lots of young people at West Bay Beach. You can take a taxi there... get a day pass to the Mayan Princess Resort, and your daughter will find lots of people her age right next door. Great snorkeling off the shore. Great lobster on the beach! Miami is a blast to sail out of!! The cars on the expressway below honk their horns and wave to the passengers on board. Galveston is 70 miles from the Houston Airport. What a pain. Your daughter would like Miami the night before you cruise more than Galveston.

I have not sailed the Freedom, but have read good things.

I HAVE sailed both Splendor and Glory, and I would choose Glory hands down.

I have heard mixed opinions of what Splendor will get in dry dock. So you may or may not get the upgrades you want.

Many people LOVE the Splendor, she is my least favorite ship. But I have seen reviews from people who love her so it really is a personal decision.

Thank you all! Just wanted to let you know that we chose the 4-port, 7-day cruise out of Miami on the Glory! Can't wait!!

From Mom to Mom... you made the right choice for your daughter! As you can see, I have been on the exotic Western Caribbean 3 times, so if you have any questions about Roatan, Grand Cayman, Belize, or Cozumel, just shout!

From Mom to Mom... you made the right choice for your daughter! As you can see, I have been on the exotic Western Caribbean 3 times, so if you have any questions about Roatan, Grand Cayman, Belize, or Cozumel, just shout!

Thank you! I would love to hear your thoughts on great excursions for a 40-something mom and 21-year-old daughter! I have been researching and have a few ideas, but would love your thoughts.

Thank you! I would love to hear your thoughts on great excursions for a 40-something mom and 21-year-old daughter! I have been researching and have a few ideas, but would love your thoughts.

Grand Cayman

Do you remember when you were a child, and something would make you laugh so hard that you almost cried? Well, when my daughter and I took the catamaran out to Stingray City, the sailing was awe inspiring. The water was incredible... Clear, thalo and Cobalt blue. Then we arrived with several other catamarans to the sand bar. It was a riot in the water with the stingrays, because most of us were afraid in the rough water that we would come down and land on a stingray... a definite no-no. So, whenever someone felt a stingray under their foot they would SCREAM :eek: ! We were screaming and laughing like kids. One girl tried to climb up the anchor rope to get away from them. I can't remember laughing and screaming this loud since I was 10. It's a must! A real adrenaline rush. Often the water is very calm, but that day there were waves, hence the up and down, don't step on a stingray moves.

Belize.

We got right off the ship, tendered into catch a catamaran and then went snorkeling (awesome!) and the boat ride back was a blast. I don't see this excursion on the Carnival website, but I will ask my daughter if she remembers the name of the Cat. It was so much fun dancing on the way back. We might have booked it privately. Carnival cancelled the cave tubing right before we went, because a woman drowned. Carnival does not screw around with the safety of their passengers. If an excursion contractor screws up, they are canned. My doctor said we should get certain shots if we were going into the jungle of Belize. Okay... we be sailing :D

Roatan

For $10.00, plus the fare of a taxi, we spent the afternoon at the Mayan Princess resort on West Bay Beach. It is the perfect place for a mom and daughter, because as you face the ocean, to the left about 100 yards away there is some kind of resort with music for young people, and my daughter had a blast with them. Nothing rowdy.. just a good group. You have use of the Mayan's gorgeous swimming pool and you get a chaise. So, you can choose to relax, or go down the beach and party. The snorkeling was excellent, right off the beach! Google Mayan Princess Resort, Roatan and you will see it. We had a lobster lunch right on the beach. Delicious!!! Make certain you get a firm commitment from the taxi driver regarding the fare BEFORE you get in. Don't venture out into the hinterland in Roatan unless you want to be robbed. The Annapolis grads we met on the cruise ship went to the zip line before they came back to the beach and said it was fantastic. Apparently Carnival now has an "excursion" to the Mayan with a buffet lunch, but I would do it on our own, and eat off the menu. Much more relaxing! The last time we went to Roatan, we went to French Cays. I felt so rushed because the ship is not in port long enough. I don't recommend it, even though it is listed as the #1 thing to do in Roatan on Trip Advisor.

Cozumel

Very pretty, colorful and clean port. There was a hurricane there years ago that devastated the port, and it has since been rebuilt. The locals were very friendly, and grateful to see cruise ship passengers again. I did not get "bad vibes" from the locals as I have in some ports. They were happy to see Americans! I felt quite safe there. I will see if my daughter remembers the excursion. We always take the sailboat excursions, because I feel it is safer than walking around with a pretty blonde daughter and no man.

I hope I haven't scared you... I am just very cautious and conscientious when with my daughter because she attracts a lot of attention. When I am by myself, NO PROBLEM! :D

good afternoon! I am planning to take my 21-year-old daughter on a mother/daughter cruise after her school semester ends in may. She would like a western caribbean itinerary. My daughter works at a church and cannot do a sunday-sunday cruise, as that would have her missing two sundays.

-6-day splendor out of miami (ocho rios, grand cayman, cozumel)

-7-day glory out of miami (grand cayman, mahogany bay, belize, cozumel)

since we have to fly anyway (from nashville), we could also do

-7-day freedom out of galveston (montego bay, grand cayman, cozumel).

Glory all the way !

While we are not precisely cruise virgins, we are pretty inexperienced. We did a 7-day disney eastern caribbean a number of years ago and have also done a weekend rci cruise to the bahamas.

I have gone through a number of the cc reviews and expert reviews and am pretty overwhelmed. What are your thoughts about these three options?

Thank you!

glory all the way !

I have been on all 3, and in terms of ship, Freedom wins. Freedom has 2.0 and her décor is my favorite on any ship, only second to Liberty.

But in terms of itinerary, Glory wins. I loved that itinerary when I went, and even skipping Belize, it was an amazing cruise. I love Splendor, but if the extra day is an option, it's worth it. Plus, Jamaica is a nice destination, but you really need an excursion to see its natural wonder. If you wanted to go the cheaper route and go to the beach, you would find yourself on a cruiser-infested beach and heavy vendors. You really need an excursion in Jamaica. I cannot speak for Montego Bay, but this is the case for Ocho Rios. Belize I hear is similar, but that leaves 3 other ports in which you can go cheap and stay near the port or go to the beach.

Glory all the way! You will have a great time! :D

Just out of curiosity... What makes an itinerary "exotic"? I have seen both western and eastern itineraries referred to as exotic and always wondered what that meant. Thanks!

Well, since we are both from the Pacific Northwest, little rain and lots of sunshine comes to mind when I think exotic. My analogy? An ordinary "Western Caribbean" cruise would be like an Airbus 380 jet, and an "Exotic Western Caribbean" cruise would be like our beloved Boeing 747.

Go Seahawks!!!!

Just out of curiosity... What makes an itinerary "exotic"? I have seen both western and eastern itineraries referred to as exotic and always wondered what that meant. Thanks!

I think it has something to do with the ports.

For example, here's one of Glory's 7-day Eastern itineraries:

Miami - HMC - St Thomas - San Juan - Amber Cove - Miami

And here's one of Glory's 7-day Exotic Eastern itineraries:

Miami - Amber Cove - St. Thomas - San Juan - Grand Turk - Miami

Here's Conquest's 5-day Exotic Eastern:

Ft. Lauderdale - Nassau - HMC - Grand Turk - Ft. Lauderdale

For Eastern, it looks like Grand Turk makes an itinerary "exotic"

Here's one of Conquest's 6-day Western itineraries:

Ft. Lauderdale - Jamaica (Ocho Rios, Montego Bay or Falmouth) - Grand Cayman - Cozumel - Ft. Lauderdale.

There is also a version that swaps Key West for Jamaica.

Here's one of Conquest's 7-day Exotic Western itineraries:

Ft. Lauderdale - Cozumel - Mahogany Bay, Roatan - Grand Cayman - Ft. Lauderdale

On Breeze the difference between a 7-Day Western and a 7-Day Exotic Western is swapping Roatan (Mahogany Bay) for Jamaica (Montego Bay). Splendor also does Westerns and Exotic Westerns. Same diff: Swap out Jamaica for Roatan to make it Exotic.

For Western, it looks like Roatan makes an itinerary "exotic"

I like the Freedom much better than the Splendor and I like Galveston and its people better than Miami (it's also cheaper and faster for me to fly to Galveston). BUT, I would choose the Glory because of the itinerary. Roatan is our favorite port, even more than our Eastern Caribbean ports.

Martini Mom, thank you! I just read your trip report yesterday. It was fabulous, and you REALLY have me wanting to take that awesome excursion in Roatan!

Thank you :) I would love to go back to LFK on Roatan. Just so you know, the animals have been temporarily removed by the government, but that just a tiny fraction of what they're about.

• 4 weeks later...

I am familiar with these itineraries and ships and I personally would pick the Glory hands down.

The Glory is actually my favorite Carnival ship because she is the Goldilocks choice: not too big and not too small. Not too crowded but not quiet and boring. Not quite Circus Circus tacky but not Trump Tower.

Also she was very easy to navigate.

As for the port calls: I care about visiting Cozumel about as much as I love a dream about Nassau- which is not much. I did love the private beach resorts in Roatan and I am actually looking at an original oil painting I bought there probably 7 or 8 years ago- the first time Carnival pulled in there to replace the stop in Costs Maya because of hurricane damage.

I love swimming with wild manta rays in Grand Caymen and would never pass up a chance at it- mostly because I am a coward and that is one of the crazy things I have been brave enough to do.

I also love snorkeling and diving in Beluze. Every time we are there, I am quietly determining in my head whether that is where I would want to retire as an ex pat. English speaking, decent prices, and a legal system somewhat like that in the U.S.