Babysitting vs Oceaneers? And a couple other kid questions

MrsKChicago

We're considering a Disney cruise right around when our little one turns 3. I was set on doing it after 3 for the free Oceaneers club, until someone pointed out that what I spent on babysitting, I'd save on cruise fare for the baby. He wouldn't be in there all the time, just enough for us to go swimming, maybe have a date night, that kind of thing. There may be a little sibling by then, too, so I think we'd be using the babysitting service no matter what. I'm assuming Disney of all lines can put together a good kids club, but can anybody give me any insight into what the under 3 babysitting is like?

Also, in the event that there is a little sibling (probably around a year old, no way am I cruising with a tiny baby), can anyone give me any insight into breastfeeding at sea? I'm used to being legally protected here, but I'm sure both laws and culture are different on the ship and at ports. But I know most other countries think Americans are overly prude, too. I'd rather push the cruise back than deal with having to hide on vacation.

Is there anything else I'm not considering that I should be?

Just so you are aware, the nursery is only for up to 3 year olds, so if your son does have a sibling by the time of the cruise and is 3 or over, they would be in separate childcare facilities (the club and the nursery).

There is no in room babysitting service on DCL.

I wouldn't worry at all about breastfeeding on the cruise as DCL is very family friendly and on US based cruises very highly populated by Americans. Also remember if you do want some privacy, your Stateroom is very nearby.

ex techie

Hopefully splitting them up won't be an issue for a couple hours at a time. Maybe they'll enjoy the break!

I was hoping that was the kind of family friendly they'd be. Sometimes it means everyone is understanding, and sometimes it means a ship full of people who don't understand why you won't just think of the children and do that somewhere private :P

As far as I'm aware, there is no written breastfeeding policy. Your child of any age will not be allowed in an adult only area--adult pool, nightclubs, or any activity designated as adult only. This policy includes nursing infants. Not that I've actively looked for it, but I've never seen anyone breastfeeding by the family pool or in the dining rooms. You are never far from your cabin while on the ship. You can easily return there to feed. In other locations, I honestly don't know how DCL handles it.

As to babysitting--it is totally age appropriate. There are cribs for nap times, swings, etc. as well as play areas for the kids. You can also take your "under 3" to the OC during open house hours.

Breastfeed anywhere, discreetly of course! It's the natural function of your breast! It's what best for baby.

I breastfed both of my kids...any and everywhere. No one knew I was feeding....you don't just pop your breast out and have at it, you know!

Breastfeed anywhere, discreetly of course! It's the natural function of your breast! It's what best for baby.

I breastfed both of my kids...any and everywhere. No one knew I was feeding....you don't just pop your breast out and have at it, you know!

I wish everyone realized that's what they're for! I don't use a cover, but I'm pretty sneaky. Ninja boobing ;)

I breastfed my six-month-old on Disney Dream last year. I'm sure I did it somewhere in public (I did have a cover), though I can't remember. Certainly, no one gave me hassle. I also pumped in my cabin to make milk to leave with the nursery. You didn't ask but the dining areas will also puree veggies for your little one, just give them some advance notice, especially for the buffet. The kids club open houses were also really great for letting the little one crawl around.

If you do go with a 3 year old, check out the structure of the Oceaneer Club/Lab. I've not used it, but my understanding is that counselors cover activity areas, rather than age groups, and kids ages 3 to 11 (12?) can come and go within the different areas of the club. That freedom can be overwhelming to 3 year olds and several parents I spoke to would just drop off their 3 year old for one activity and pick them up immediately after.

Oh wow, that does sound a little overwhelming for a 3 year old! I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up.

Good to know about the purees being available if hypothetical #2 doesn't take to table food like my son has :)

Did you find that you were still able to enjoy your trip and relax with a young baby?

OK, first the kid area is for ages 3-12 and includes the Oceaneer's Club and Oceaneer's Lab. These areas are connected, but quite separate in design. The Club was originally intended for ages 3-7 and the Lab 8-12, but due to parental feedback, the entire area is open to all ages. However, the furniture and facilities are sized to the originally intended ages, as are the activities held in those areas. There may be up to 4 activities running simultaneously but with different "designed for" ages. These will be listed in the Navigator. In addition, there is always free play available.

Example--the Club is divided into many "rooms" or areas, and a child can play where they wish. One includes dress up costumes, another computers with age 3-7 appropriate programs, another has a slide, another tables for coloring, another a large activity space. In one area may be "Do-Si-Do with Snow White" while a different area may be doing character drawing. And over in the Lab (which also has multiple spaces), there may be 2 other activities geared toward older kids. There are CMs assigned to each space as well as those assigned to run each activity (and others assigned to check in/out, etc). Any child may participate in any activity, but a CM will not inform a child of an activity that is not in her/his age range . They won't tell a 10 year old that there is a 3-4 year old activity happening.

Just to be complete--the Edge is a space for 11-14s and the Vibe for 14-17. Yes, there is built in overlap. This allows the parent and kid to decide where they fit best. Basically, Edge is middle school oriented, Vibe is high school...but this is not a restriction for the spaces. I use it to give you an idea of what to expect.

Your child can choose to participate in activities...or to do the appropriate free play in any of the areas. 3 year old kids can be overwhelmed with the choices. It does help if you take them to the OC and tell the CM that "she wanted to dance with Snow" or whatever activity you have selected.

Edited by moki'smommy

Just throwing this out for your consideration. Personally, I think it would be easier to cruise with a 6 or 7 month old than a more active year old baby. Infants sleep more than young toddlers and are less mobile. Also, it would be easier to "discreetly" breastfeed a younger baby as well. Not saying that cruising with a year old is not doable...just giving a little food for thought!!! Hope you have a great cruise!:)

Just throwing this out for your consideration. Personally, I think it would be easier to cruise with a 6 or 7 month old than a more active year old baby. Infants sleep more than young toddlers and are less mobile. Also, it would be easier to "discreetly" breastfeed a younger baby as well. Not saying that cruising with a year old is not doable...just giving a little food for thought!!! Hope you have a great cruise!:)

I appreciate the tip. My son is only 7 1/2 months, so I'm definitely a little clueless on the later ages and what it's like to vacation with them.

Well, I was working for Cruise Critic so not much relaxation for me! Still, I did have fun.

But, having cruised with a 6 month old, 1 year old and 2.5 year old (on different lines), I agree with a previous poster -- traveling with the 1 year old was the hardest. Babies are much easier than toddlers (YMMV depending on personality of course), especially if they are content to hang out/sleep in a carrier or stroller while you enjoy the ship. Both my kids as toddlers need[ed] to go-go-go and get into everything, which can be exhausting.

We have cruised with a 2yr (niece) and 3yr (son), 3day on Dream. And on a 4day on the Dream with a 12+few days week old (son), 3yr (niece) and 4yr old (oldest son). The 12week old was the easiest by FAR. Now, our oldest son is the pickiest eater in the world and that caused all sorts of other behavioral issues due to lack of food intake.

We have also done WDW when our oldest was 6ish Months and 18Months. When he was 6months it was a lot easier.

I wouldn't worry at all about breastfeeding on the cruise as DCL is very family friendly and on US based cruises very highly populated by Americans.

Of course, it's the Americans that are the biggest problem in terms of seeing nursing as being totally normal. The rest of the world is a bit up on us in terms of that. So I'd go hang out near people from other cultures, personally, and avoid my fellow Americans.

Good to know about the purees being available if hypothetical #2 doesn't take to table food like my son has :)

Did you find that you were still able to enjoy your trip and relax with a young baby?

Going forward, consider getting a portable, hand-held, grinder so that baby eats the foods you eat. Don't even have to bother with jarred purees that way. Might as well get baby used to eating what you eat! It's how me and my siblings were raised. I had one, but never used it, because we chose to delay solids to a year. DS went with the 11 month plan, but by then he was capable of biting and chewing properly and didn't NEED purees, so that was simple. :)

"kids ages 3 to 11 (12?)" Lab and Club go *through* 12. 12 years old and 364 days. :)

DS, 11, tells me that the kids who are out of control are generally the little ones, and he has to walk, and walk carefully, to avoid them when they come over to the Lab area where he tends to stay.

Of course, it's the Americans that are the biggest problem in terms of seeing nursing as being totally normal. The rest of the world is a bit up on us in terms of that. So I'd go hang out near people from other cultures, personally, and avoid my fellow Americans.

Going forward, consider getting a portable, hand-held, grinder so that baby eats the foods you eat. Don't even have to bother with jarred purees that way. Might as well get baby used to eating what you eat! It's how me and my siblings were raised. I had one, but never used it, because we chose to delay solids to a year. DS went with the 11 month plan, but by then he was capable of biting and chewing properly and didn't NEED purees, so that was simple. :)

"kids ages 3 to 11 (12?)" Lab and Club go *through* 12. 12 years old and 364 days. :)

DS, 11, tells me that the kids who are out of control are generally the little ones, and he has to walk, and walk carefully, to avoid them when they come over to the Lab area where he tends to stay.

Thanks for the input on the kids club. I'm thinking more and more about either waiting until T is older, or going with a line that has a more structured kids club.

We skipped purees altogether with my son, he loves real food and does surprisingly well with no teeth. He could be the poster child for Baby Led Weaning, the way he took to it. I love it, I get to actually eat dinner instead of spooning food into him. I plan to go the same route if we have another, but I know some babies just refuse to go along with parental plans. I think someone did give us one of the handheld grinder things, I'll keep it for #2 if I didn't already pass it on to another mom.

I appreciate the tip. My son is only 7 1/2 months, so I'm definitely a little clueless on the later ages and what it's like to vacation with them.

My son has cruised at 10 months, 14 months, 17 months, 19 months, 20 months, and 2.5 years. 10 months old was the easiest, not really mobile yet. The most difficult was 14 months because he was now mobile and learning his freedom/boundaries!