Emerald Balcony Question

Smitty251

Hi

We are sailing in Feb on the Emerald - we have a balcony on the BAJA deck - our friends are staying in the room next door - I have heard the balconies have a divider that can be opened up - is that true - can we make our balconies into one large one?

Thanks

Smitty

Hi

We are sailing in Feb on the Emerald - we have a balcony on the BAJA deck - our friends are staying in the room next door - I have heard the balconies have a divider that can be opened up - is that true - can we make our balconies into one large one?

Thanks

Smitty

That should be doable in most instances .... you would need to ask your steward to unlock the divider.

Hi

Thanks

Smitty

There is a 2 foot door in the divider between mostly all balconies at the cabin bulkhead. Because of the ship's structure a few balconies may not have the door option. The door provides access between balconies, but does not open up the area into one large balcony. Three feet of the divider is still in place and can not be moved. Bring along a bungee or some cord. Over the years the latches on some balconies tend to get worn and may not hold very well. The cabin steward has the tool that will open the balcony door.

There is a 2 foot door in the divider between mostly all balconies at the cabin bulkhead. Because of the ship's structure a few balconies may not have the door option. The door provides access between balconies, but does not open up the area into one large balcony. Three feet of the divider is still in place and can not be moved. Bring along a bungee or some cord. Over the years the latches on some balconies tend to get worn and may not hold very well. The cabin steward has the tool that will open the balcony door.

Per above, it's a "service door". Normally, it can be opened when requested so those in the next cabin can get to your balcony without having to walk all the way around to the hall door.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any decent pics of the balconies with the dividers up? There are a few of us with adjoining rooms on the Caribe Deck (BD level rooms) on an upcoming cruise. Not sure if we should keep the rooms or not, but the divider up thing sounded like a decent deal if there is sufficient room to hang out with friends. I googled around but couldn't find much.

Anybody have any decent pics of the balconies with the dividers up? There are a few of us with adjoining rooms on the Caribe Deck (BD level rooms) on an upcoming cruise. Not sure if we should keep the rooms or not, but the divider up thing sounded like a decent deal if there is sufficient room to hang out with friends. I googled around but couldn't find much.

Not sure what you mean by dividers up. All balconies on all Princess ships have dividers that can not be moved. You can't move to another cabin and find balconies without dividers. There is a 2' door in the divider that can be opened to provide access between balconies, but does not provide one double size balcony. If you are on a Grand Class ship, the Caribe deck balconies are the largest (excluding full suites) of all the balconies. They are 9'x9' with sufficient room to hang out. Only issue is that there are only two balcony chairs and one table on a BD Cat. cabin. There are two more chairs inside the cabin that can be temp. moved to the balcony. If you are not on a Grand Class ship then balcony sizes vary.

Not sure what you mean by dividers up. All balconies on all Princess ships have dividers that can not be moved. You can't move to another cabin and find balconies without dividers. There is a 2' door in the divider that can be opened to provide access between balconies, but does not provide one double size balcony. If you are on a Grand Class ship, the Caribe deck balconies are the largest (excluding full suites) of all the balconies. They are 9'x9' with sufficient room to hang out. Only issue is that there are only two balcony chairs and one table on a BD Cat. cabin. There are two more chairs inside the cabin that can be temp. moved to the balcony. If you are not on a Grand Class ship then balcony sizes vary.

Sorry, I guess I just meant the doors. Maybe every door is the same but from my memory it seemed like some were of different sizes throughout the ships and different balconies on different floors. I will be traveling on the Emerald Princess (which the OP was specifically asking about) which apparently falls under "Crown Class" according to the Wiki I found. I just wanted to see if anyone had a pic of what the space looked like with the "door" opened. There will be 3 couples with rooms next to each other and I realize it doesn't open up to a gigantic deck (although it would be cool if that was possible on some newer ship), I just wanted to get an idea of how much room we would have and how easy it would be to travel between decks.

There won't be a door between balcony's that are in different block numbers ie B259 and B301 on Emerald as the change in number indicates a bulkhead so those should be solid with no service door between the balcony.

We went through the same process recently for Golden and found the bulkheads can be a problem if you need a large number of cabins together and don't book early enough.

There won't be a door between balcony's that are in different block numbers ie B259 and B301 on Emerald as the change in number indicates a bulkhead so those should be solid with no service door between the balcony.

We went through the same process recently for Golden and found the bulkheads can be a problem if you need a large number of cabins together and don't book early enough.

I do not believe that is true on Grand class ships, the Coral/Island and the Royal/Regal. We were in D400 on the Sapphire and there was a door in the balcony between D400 and D330. I have also seen photos of balconies on another Grand class ship with every balcony door open from one end of the ship to the other. The Princess website notes when there is no access between balconies and it is quite accurate, at least for the Island/Coral which have a number of cabins without doors in the balconies.

I do not believe that is true on Grand class ships, the Coral/Island and the Royal/Regal. We were in D400 on the Sapphire and there was a door in the balcony between D400 and D330. I have also seen photos of balconies on another Grand class ship with every balcony door open from one end of the ship to the other. The Princess website notes when there is no access between balconies and it is quite accurate, at least for the Island/Coral which have a number of cabins without doors in the balconies.

Guess I will find out in a few weeks when we sail. The information we had was provided by Princess when we booked the cabins as we were looking for the same info as the OP though for a different ship. Their advice was not to take rooms in different bulkhead groups for this reason.