A Brief Report From Onboard Solstice

TxnAquarian

It is not good news to hear about non changing menus and loud noise on Celebrity ships.

We are taking our second cruise on Celebrity in early 2016.

We moved "up" after 4 cruises on RCL, or so we were led to believe.

I did not find Celebrity the cut above I expected.

Sure the ship was very nice, clean, and comfortable.

The Crew were fantastic. The passengers very nice to meet and talk with.

But the nickle and dime take away's started soon.

Now with this cruise, it has been going on for months.

I asked about a couple changes in venue to make it easier for a substantial group doing similar Shore Ex.

I was told no way, the schedule is set years in advance and cannot be changed.

I booked on board the previous cruise with a written reservation for a category upgrade.

For months each inquiry was answered, ship is full, you can't get the upgrade.

Then today a call was made to my TA with an offer.

It was 2 categories up. But the cabin was in a lousy location.

Price was raised 20%. Extra OBC was slashed in half.

I tried to take independently booked airline insurance on the cruise insurance package with Celebrity.

This was clearly indicated on the Celebrity web site last week.

TA said it was not included. He pointed this out to Celebrity.

Today I got a call from X and they repeated the denial to me.

Agent could not find it stated on the web site I gave her.

I less than 5 days they must have found their error. And the lawyers said it was OK to just change!!

How are the rest of you finding things?

Dick

I seriously don't understand a single word of what you're trying to say.

We noticed that our New Caledonia cruise was far 'noisier' around the bar areas than our New Zealand cruise.Perhaps the New Caledonia/Fiji cruises attract a different age bracket & the included drinks package may also be a factor now.

Our New Caledonia was about 7 nights compared to about 14 nights to New Zealand and the 7 nighter definitely attracted a very different crowd.We still loved them both - love Solstice & are doing NZ again in 2017 - we still managed to find more peaceful areas when we wanted to.

The New Caledonia cruise was definitely a different experience for us. We had not seen that kind of crowd on a Celebrity ship or heard that much noise before. Another poster on here stayed on after our cruise for the NZ one, and she found NZ much more subdued. So it might very well have had to do with the itinerary. We have one more Celebrity cruise booked for next year - then just Azamara and Silversea. We will see what our X cruise next year is like - even though it will be over the Xmas holidays, it is going to be 14 days and a more exotic itinerary, so we will see. As I said before, we are in our 30s....we are not stuffy or uptight by any means....but we enjoy a sophisticated crowd and not a ship that sounds like a night club....

Michael

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought it was just I who was having a hard time translating this.

Michael

Sorry, I thought I was very clear.

I really do love cruising and I will put up with a lot.

Noise does not really bother me.

The same items on a menu over and over again is not a big deal.

There is always something great to eat, and many I would do again.

But for a huge company to publicize on their web site that you will get this,

and then when you ask for it say sorry pal, we won't give it to YOU really does get me down.

Nulle illigitimos carborundum.

I will not let them wear me down. I will love the cruise.

Dick

• 1 month later...

Hi, We will be on the Solstice for Alaska in Sept 2016. I have read that there is a self-service laundry on board. Did you happen to find out where it is located? Thanks for any info!

Edited by Waqui

Hi, We will be on the Solstice for Alaska in Sept 2016. I have read that there is a self-service laundry on board. Did you happen to find out where it is located? Thanks for any info!

No self serve laundry, but the ship will do your laundry for you. Fee may apply.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your onboard report. I had thought/hoped the loud music message was heard by Celebrity, as we haven't had many recent reports about it.

Sorry to hear that it has returned, and hope it's only a 1 ship issue - but have my doubts about that. I guess this is what Celebrity feels is "Modern Luxury". We surely do not. Just curious, how's the noise level at the Pool ? We've always noticed this area being one of the culprits.

Thanks again, and I sincerely hope you have a wonderful cruise !

The noise can be explained in two words DRINK PACKAGE.

FYI - the alcove that makes it hard to find your cabin is meant to be used when travelling with people in the CC cabin next door to you. We have done this in the past but cannot see doing so in the future as CC guests pay a hefty fee to eat with you in Luminae.

As for items being stored, we once had the scooter for the lady in the CC cabin but it was never in our way. I would speak to the hotel manager about housekeeping storage in your adjoining room alcove. I'm sure it will be removed promptly. Also, the outer door can be propped open so you don't have to use your pass twice.

Sounds like a great itinerary. Enjoy!

ROOM:

We were in Sky Suite 9374. For those who haven't stayed in this room, it's hard to explain the location. But when you are in the hall, this room (and the adjoining room) is not visible. You have to put your key into a door that looks like a staff entry or something, and then it takes you into the little hallway where our room is. On embarkation day we could not figure out how to find this room. As I mentioned before, the staff used this little hallway as a storage space. So we had boxes of toilet paper, carts, cushions and dirty room service trays piled up right outside our door. Besides being smelly, it was just an eyesore. The actual room was wonderful....bright, well laid out, well-maintained, great shower, huge veranda. It was much better than our experiences with the Celebrity Suite on M-Class ships, which were very old and rundown.

This storage issue really bothers me. Did you ask them to move their crap.

I'll be tossing it overboard.

With the best part of 3000 passengers on board each cruise someone is going to be upset about happenings around the ship at sometime over the cruise period. The fact that most Celebrity cruises around the world sail full means that in most cases they are getting most things right. If they weren't there would be a big fall off in patronage. Whilst Cruise critic seems to have an important place in the cruise industry it is chicken feed compared to the number of those who sail annually. We have a Solstice cruise booked for March and our roll call has I guess at best 100 members and 40 have signed up for the CC party. In relation to overall numbers it is insignificant. Barely 5% at best of total cruisers.

One of the beauties of such a large ship is that if one area doesn't appeal eg too noisy or too quiet there are other areas around the ship which can accommodate ones desires. Similarly for dining. There are many options open to one if one chooses.

This March cruise will be our third on the Solstice quickly followed in April by the Constellation. Having done all our cruising on Celebrity too date we are to some degree hooked on the cruise line as we know pretty much what we are going to get and when we look at forward cruises we are trying to make Celebrity fit our wants and needs but with the increasing costs of their cruises and the high cost of getting anywhere from down under our cruising programme is constantly under review