RC: Port of Tampa tips

iiramos

Any advice/tips for sailing out of the port of tampa? Are they tough on confiscating items such as soda or bottled water? Do they check in your wine per stateroom? Do they have seerate lines for the crown and anchor society? Do they let you board before 12? Anything else?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Depends on the time of year. We always bring water with no problems. They checked carry-ons a lot more closely last spring break than they did for NYE. They have separate priority lines and a separate area for D and up. We usually are on board by 11:15-11:30 - unless there's fog in the bay, then all bets are off for boarding.

I had a few bottles of soda in my carry on and had no problem getting them through security in Tampa. Once past security, there were dedicated C&A lines and it was quick and easy. Just make sure you know which terminal you are going to if more than one ship is leaving that day; we almost got dropped off at the wrong ship, as the cab driver didn't read the signs.

We were on the cruise after the one that got stuck out in the bay due to fog last February. The one that was supposed to go before us was cancelled. Be sure you get travel insurance.

Is there any specific time of year when fog is an issue? We are sailing January 11th out of Tampa :eek:

Fog's a 50-50 chance from December through March. Tampa's only 15 ft above sea level, and the bay is shallow - not a good combination

I had a few bottles of soda in my carry on and had no problem getting them through security in Tampa. Once past security, there were dedicated C&A lines and it was quick and easy. Just make sure you know which terminal you are going to if more than one ship is leaving that day; we almost got dropped off at the wrong ship, as the cab driver didn't read the signs.

We were on the cruise after the one that got stuck out in the bay due to fog last February. The one that was supposed to go before us was cancelled. Be sure you get travel insurance.

We were on the one that got cancelled so I agree with you about getting trip insurance!!

:eek::eek:

Is there any specific time of year when fog is an issue? We are sailing January 11th out of Tampa :eek:

I was about to say January through March but I see December was thrown in so that is probably a possibility too :(